Need NICE PROFESSIONAL clothing..cheap..where to go?

I am very excited because I am finally at the end of my college career. In Sept I will begin my student teaching! The thing is, I have been a SAHM for the past 4 years....I LIVE in jeans and tee shirts/sweat shirts. I need nice clothes for my new career, I just don't know where to go. And I don't want to spend a lot either. Any suggestions? Thanks!

If you are under 30 you do need to really step it up so you will not look like a student, kudos to you for wanting to dress professional.

I would look at consignment stores and some of the department stores have awesome sales this time of year. Also you can try thrift stores. A lady I work with at a High School buys a lot of her clothes from Goodwill. I do not have the patience to look thru all the stuff in Goodwill but she does and looks great at work.

I had another thought yesterday too. I've found a couple things at Costco. I have a couple casual khaki capris (nice for Friday), a hoodie (for those freezing meeting rooms) and other shirts over the year. I don't have too much from them right now, but you never know. DH is an attorney in Chicago and finds dress shirts there for himself.

Just another thought.

Something else I've learned--shop now and you'll mostly get lighter weight spring/fall. You may have to shop again in Nov (which no one wants to do with the holidays around the corner) but cords and sweaters start getting marked down and they get another round of winter clothes different from what you find now.

I'm on a mission for lined pants (notice my location) and no one has them (without spending $100 or more). But I tried the early winter shopping last year and it helped me get through the school year and our unusually long winter--in fact, I think it's still winter here now.

When I student taught my wardrobe consisted of kahaki's, brown slacks, and black slacks. Sweaters and button down shirts in a few different colors. The school that I was at was fairly casual but I didn't dress quite as low key as I wanted to make a good impression, but I didn't overdress either. The bulk of my wardrobe came from Old Navy, JCP, and Maurices.

I now have my first job (PK Special Ed) have started restocking my teaching wardrobe. As I have yet to observe what my schools typical dress is, I am only buying the basics until I get a better idea of how everyone dresses.

I am very excited because I am finally at the end of my college career. In Sept I will begin my student teaching! The thing is, I have been a SAHM for the past 4 years....I LIVE in jeans and tee shirts/sweat shirts. I need nice clothes for my new career, I just don't know where to go. And I don't want to spend a lot either. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Macy's.

Each Macy's is different and carries a different clothing line.

If you are in North Jersey, try the Mall at Short Hills. That's where I shop and they have great sales and stores there.

Talbots is another good store for basics.

Christopher & Banks gets pretty cheap on clearance. I know some of their styles might be too "older lady" for you, but if you look you can find younger looking stuff. And it won't be too low cut!

I'm a big thrift/consignment person but it does take time. I go at least once a month and I have a huge sweater collection. I don't think any of them were bought new. I wear them all winter with navy or tan pants or colored corduroys from Penneys. (Not a teacher, but in a law office)

Sears and Penneys can have some cheap clearance too.

My dd is a recent college grad who also needed a "professional" wardrobe. We had great luck at the Ann Taylor Loft store in Jersey Gardens Mall in Elizabeth. She got great quality, classic, stylish clothes and mostly all from the sale rack. We were going to pay cash (it was almost $300) but by opening an Ann Taylor credit card that day she got some deal like 25% off, plus in the mail she received a $25 coupon, and another percent off coupon. So she saved even more (and of course paid off the cc balance right away!)

She also got some shirts and jackets at Macys!

Good luck to you!
:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter