Need NICE PROFESSIONAL clothing..cheap..where to go?

WeLoveLilo05

DIS Veteran
I am very excited because I am finally at the end of my college career. In Sept I will begin my student teaching! The thing is, I have been a SAHM for the past 4 years....I LIVE in jeans and tee shirts/sweat shirts. I need nice clothes for my new career, I just don't know where to go. And I don't want to spend a lot either. Any suggestions? Thanks!

You might be surprised at what is available at a local thrift store.

Some clothing consignment stores may also meet your needs.

Ross is another store that has some nice things.

ok i work in clothes... check consignment shops.. nothing there is more then 3 years old. Check your local slavation army too some people give real nice stuff away. Also check outlets and stores on line lots of them have AWESOME sales now... trying to get rid of their summer clothes to bring in thier fall lines. I work at the Limited and we have had fall clothes for the last 3 months... yea summer is not a season at the limited but check anywhere you can.

When I was teaching I would typically wear either khaki or black slacks (either old navy/dockers) with a solid color sweater, blouse etc. I would get the basics at Old Navy or Kohls. Basic pants in tan, black, brown and navy. Old Navy usually has a basic lightweight pullover top in solid colors & I would get these in a bunch of varieties and mix and match. I personally don't have the patience to thrift store shop & we don't have a goodwill etc. in my area so that isn't an option, but with an ON cc you get coupons etc and Kohls is always having sales.

Another hint from one teacher to another :teacher:...you might just want to buy a couple basics right now - black skirt, khaki pants, a couple tops - and then see what other teachers in the building wear. Some schools are quite formal, some are very casual (mine is SUPER casual - jeans and flip flops are not uncommon on a sunny Friday...). As a student teacher, you'd never want to dress as casual as the teachers, but you don't want to buy a bunch of suits if they all wear khakis or vice versa. Good luck! The beginning of school is always sooooo exciting!!!!!:cool1:

I have always had good luck shopping the sales and clearance racks at Kohls. Most of my "teacher" wardrobe is from Kohls, with pieces from other places mixed in. Best of luck to you! :thumbsup2

I agree with the staples. And you might want to buck up for nice pants from Ann Taylor Loft/Gap/The Limited. Then supplement with Old Navy, Kohl's, etc. I have a couple blouses I bought at Target and a more fashionable teacher comments on them.

But I do work with some people who must only shop at Target and Kohl's--and I think you can tell. So my point is, mix and match and invest in a couple pairs of nice pants. I have had some as long as 6 or 7 years, unless I get tired of them or wreck them.

Also, I like the outlet malls. You have to know your prices, but I have a couple things from the Banana Republic outfit that I've had for years too. They are my more casual pants.

We too wear jeans on Fridays, half days, assembly days, etc. And if it's hot, I'm not adverse to the longer dress shorts either (but I'm in my 12th year, so who's to question).

Happy Shopping!

You can't go wrong with black pants and kahki pants and nice tops. I'm in a VERY casual building and I wear jeans or capris all the time. I like wearing skirts, but usually on days when I don't have recess duty.

If you stick with clothes with black in them, you can get away with one nice pair of black shoes.

Also accessories can really pull an outfit together.

I like Kohls and Macys.

Also, if you have time, spend an hour at Barnes and Noble or your library, looking at fashion/style books. They will give you great hints and teach you how to mix and match and make the most out of your money and still look great. I haven't actually looked at this one, but I've looked at other's like it, and it has really helped me create a closet that I LOVE :)

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Style-Clinic/Paula-Reed/e/9780060793548/?itm=1

The wife does her shopping at Kohls, Penneys, Macys, Fashion Bug, and New York and Company. She does not get anything without a coupon or huge discount.

Thank you! I am going to have to check out Kohls and my consignment shop! See, I did my 90 hours observation with this same teacher that I will be doing my student teaching with, and it is a kindergarten class, so I know that in the building they are pretty casual, but at the same time, being that I am only a student teacher I do want to make a good impression, but still be comfy at the same time. And I do have some clothing, but I feel like i have 3 pairs of black pants and a pair of gray. Then a few sweaters that I would mix and match. And now I need clothing that is a little lighter, as it will probably be warm here until October.

I have 3 bags of clothes to take to the consignment shop in the next town. They are mostly clothes that no longer fit, and clothes that are inappropriate for teaching and I want to bring them and I just hope I make a nice penny off of them.

Thanks, so I will def be searching kohls and will be checking limited. I feel like I go in and out of NY & Co and NEVER get anything. Everything looks so nice on the mannequins and I always get the coupons, but when I try the things on, they never look the same on me.

O and what is Ross? I don't think we have one here in NJ.

Thank you ladies!

Boscov's! I think they have them in NJ, but I got some really nice dress pants there last week for $9.99 on the clearance rack.

Macy's is good too, but hit or miss with the clearance rack. NY & Company, but watch how low cut some of the button up shirts are.

I work in a school, so I will offer this advice, although I'm sure you don't need it, please do not wear short skirts or low cut tops. There are a few teachers that I have no idea what they are thinking when they get dressed in the morning.

I shop pretty much anywhere, but only buy stuff super cheap. I'm more of a black, brown, gray pants or knee length skirt person with a dress shirt or top, mostly solid colors. My outfits are somewhat boring and not as trendy as some others, but they work for years.

Boscov's! I think they have them in NJ, but I got some really nice dress pants there last week for $9.99 on the clearance rack.

Macy's is good too, but hit or miss with the clearance rack. NY & Company, but watch how low cut some of the button up shirts are.

I work in a school, so I will offer this advice, although I'm sure you don't need it, please do not wear short skirts or low cut tops. There are a few teachers that I have no idea what they are thinking when they get dressed in the morning.

I shop pretty much anywhere, but only buy stuff super cheap. I'm more of a black, brown, gray pants or knee length skirt person with a dress shirt or top, mostly solid colors. My outfits are somewhat boring and not as trendy as some others, but they work for years.

I LOVED BOSCOVS!!!!! I had one about 15 miles away and it went out of business, we have another, but it is a bit of a drive.

AND, and you mentioned about the tops, either I am really picky or something is wrong with me, but I feel everything I try on, I am hanging out of. And I can't go into a school like that! I feel like a lot of companies are making things that are cut so low!

I seriously HATE shopping for clothes, I am not your typical girl, I just cant find anything for a good price that fits me right. But I am going to have to check out those other stores.

Maybe I just complain too much? :lmao:

I commend you for thinking about the appropriate thing to wear in the classroom. I remember my DD's student teacher in third grade. The teacher (male) wore a dress shirt, tie and dress pants. The student teacher wore low cut jeans and a low cut sweater where the bottom didn't quite reach her pants. I complained to the principal that I thought it was inappropriate that my 8 yo had to see her teachers belly button and cleavage. :scared1: She eventually started to wear shirts that reached the top of her pants.

Thank you ladies!

Ross is a discounted store that sales name brands. Step down from Marshalls and TjMaxx. Marshalls has a lot of good stuff on clearance and even normal prices are a lot cheaper then other stores and name brands.

Thank you! I am going to have to check out Kohls and my consignment shop!

Thanks, so I will def be searching kohls and will be checking limited. I feel like I go in and out of NY & Co and NEVER get anything. Everything looks so nice on the mannequins and I always get the coupons, but when I try the things on, they never look the same on me.

Thank you ladies!

There is a Ross in Moorestown/Mt. Laurel (Burlington county). Check out the website to see if there are ones located near you.

It's a good thing your student teaching school does not require a uniform. I student taught at a urban NJ school which required all staff from the principals to the cafeteria staff and everyone in between to wear the same uniform as the students.

I liked Ross ... There was one near where my best friend used to live in Pennsylvania. Too bad there aren't any in Michigan (if there are, I would drive it to it!!)

I really like the "George" brand from walmart. I love how their pants fit me (they run a little big)
Anyway they have dressier pants- at a very reasonable price. I could afford a higher price -but I really like theirs.

Hi there,
I have to agree with many of the previous posters. I almost 40 (tomorrow) and beginning my 19th year of teaching. Get some basic pants and maybe a skirt of two. Get some t-shirts and maybe some cardigans. One thing that you can do is get some nice, inexpensive jewelry to take it up a notch and dress it up a little. NY and Company has great accessories. Another idea, is a nice scarf for a little extra. Good luck with your new profession:cheer2:

My sister just got some really nice clothes pretty inexpensively at Burlington Coat Factory. I also agree with the previous recommendation of TJ Maxx.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter