need input for 2010 trip

justcynn

Earning My Ears
Ok, so we just aren't crowd kind of people and are planning our second trip to the fort but our first trip to the parks. our budget for this is around 2500 so saving money is also a definite consideration which is why we are picking the value season. these are the dates we are considering

Arrive Fri Jan 8 for 7 nights - pros - holiday crowd should be gone, cons marathon crowd there?, not as warm as february, since we are taking kids out of school for this trip, they would only get a week of school in after holiday break. MLK Day is Monday following the trip giving the kids an extra day to get back in the swing of things at home.

Arrive Fri Feb 5 for 7 nights - pros, weather should be a little better, should still be value season for pricing, daughter has 11th birthday on last full day at the parks, cons - presidents day crowd arriving early and crowds build through out the week, daytona 500 is the weekend after our stay (crowds from that?) Presidents Day is monday after the trip giving the kids a day to get back in the routine before going back to school.

which time period would be better? we would prefer the Feb dates but not if the crowds will be a lot worse.

Can I book my dates now with Disney or do I have to wait till 2010 pricing comes out?

Here is our budget -2500 total, family of 5, 3 adult pricing, 2 kids (having a 10 year adult is really interesting to me, can she also get a part time job at Disney?) thanks to many of you for helping to dial in actual costs.

Park tickets: 1100 (no hopper, no waterparks) Looking at Mapleleaf tickets, will also check out AAA
One Way Airfare for DW and kids - 400 (allegiant can book now for jan at 500, betting they come down some)
Fort Stay 336, checking on AAA Discounts, artial hook up site
Tee Time Golf Cart 225 (thanks to shanman for the calculator)
Hoop Dee Doo - 165 (looked at meal plan but just doesn't make sense for our family, Trails End actually cost more with the meal plan)
Park Snacks 125 (would be 0, but thats probably not realistic)
Ice/Misc - 50
GAS - Paid as part of work trip the week prior visiting customers getting to the Fort
Dinner Out 50
eat out drive home 50
hotel drive home - Holiday Inn points.
souvenirs - kids saving their own money for this, we spent a fortune on them last trip

Food to be prepared at the Fort - not part of the budget since we also eat at home - we can eat cheap when we are camping for another purpose
Beer - well this should probably be a line item, but we'll just make that an impromptu cost as it happens;)

You can book now for the site only.
AAA rates will not come out until August about the same time as when the rates for 2010 are announced. You can call back and have them adjust for the AAA discount.

Personally I would go for the Feb. date. Jan is to soon after the Holidays (stress and money spent) and by Feb I would be wanting to escape the cold even for a little while. Since you are not hitting an exact week for anything, I would take my chances on the crowds not being major problem until the very end.

Agree with you, no water park needed.

We are a park hopper family, but with the shorter park hours I most likely would not get the hopper option but would budget for it just to be able to add it if I needed to. We loved being able to switch parks mid day especially if it was becoming crowded.

As far as crowds go, I think Jan. is a slower time frame. I haven't noticed any major crowds from the Marathon during this time. The Christmas crowd is thinning out and MLK weekend is manageable. Many people like Feb. for the exact same reasons tlh0726 stated and it is typically a busier month. Just be aware that the weekends leading up to MLK and Presidents day will be the most crowded during your time frames.

We have been there in both January and February, and I would pick the February dates. There is not much difference in the crowds these months and you have a better chance of better weather in February. Also, as mentioned, there's always the holiday letdown that early in January....and you're ready for a break in the weather in February.

I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter which month you pick...happy camping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter