Need ideas for 2-3 night stay with teen, not San Diego

las3888

DIS Veteran
Hi all, we hail from the midwest and make a trip out to DL every 3-5 years, lucky to have DVC to help make that happen. We have enjoyed tacking on a trip to San Diego when our DS was younger, we would visit Legoland and the zoo. But our son is now 16 and we thought we would stick around the LA area since it's also less of a hassle to fly in and out of one airport, or make the drive sometimes for an early flight from SD to LAX or that kind of thing. Any ideas of what to do in the area? Are there still studio tours of NBC, Hollywood tour of homes, and things like that? We will probably be theme parked out at that point, so something not theme-park related would probably be best. Any ideas or suggestions?

Plenty of tours and things to do around LA, just keep up to date with what’s available when you visit. If something is by chance closed, you will have plenty of alternatives. You have studio tours at Paramount, Warner Bros and Sony Studios and the various Starline tours that leave from around the Hollywood and Highland Mall, Hop on, Hop Off, Stars homes etc. Or Stay around Beverly Grove and visit La Brea Tarpits, Petersen Automotive Museum (movie and auto sport cars), California Science Centre (see a Space Shuttle), The Farmers Market plus The Grove and Beverly Centre for shopping. Plenty of dining in that area as well and it’s a bit less “gritty” than Hollywood but within easy reach. You can also visit Santa Monica, The Getty Centre, Griffith Park (Observatory, LA Zoo, Hollywood Sign etc) and Lake Hollywood Park for another good view of the Hollywood sign.
Dont worry, there’s plenty to do. Have a great trip.

Plenty of tours and things to do around LA, just keep up to date with what’s available when you visit. If something is by chance closed, you will have plenty of alternatives. You have studio tours at Paramount, Warner Bros and Sony Studios and the various Starline tours that leave from around the Hollywood and Highland Mall, Hop on, Hop Off, Stars homes etc. Or Stay around Beverly Grove and visit La Brea Tarpits, Petersen Automotive Museum (movie and auto sport cars), California Science Centre (see a Space Shuttle), The Farmers Market plus The Grove and Beverly Centre for shopping. Plenty of dining in that area as well and it’s a bit less “gritty” than Hollywood but within easy reach. You can also visit Santa Monica, The Getty Centre, Griffith Park (Observatory, LA Zoo, Hollywood Sign etc) and Lake Hollywood Park for another good view of the Hollywood sign.
Dont worry, there’s plenty to do. Have a great trip.
Thanks, these are great ideas! Where would one stay to access these kinds of things....looking for opposite of gritty! Are there any higher end resorts in the area that we could do a number of those things easily from? I don't know what our budget is, but for 2 (or 3) nights, we might be able to make it work. Or are there are any nice beach resorts that do have easy access to the Hollywood tours and things like that?

I love using Trip Advisor....searching top things to do in......YOu can also read first hand reviews of what others thought of a location. There is soooooo much to do around that area!!!!!!

For “high end” something in Beverly Hills maybe. Beverly Hilton springs to mind. Other areas are Beverly Grove, West Hollywood and Santa Monica. LA is very spread out, nowhere will be near everything, so I’d suggest wherever you stay, get a car for at least a day or 2.

I have two boys (15 and 12) and recommend a lot of the same listed above: Griffith Observatory (coupled with a hike in the Hollywood hills above if you enjoy that), the museums (California Science, Natural History, Petersen Automotive, La Brea Tar Pits, LACMA), Griffith Park (the carousel which inspired Walt Disney, hiking through the Old Zoo), studio tours (Warner Bros. is the best), Hollywood Boulevard (t my boys enjoy the classics like the Chinese Theater and El Capitan, as well as new stuff like the Funko Pop store, or the Broadway LA theatres if you enjoy real theater), Farmer's Market/Grove, sports at Staples Center or Dodger Stadium.

If you want to stay in Hollywood, Loew's is the way to go. Beautiful hotel but there will definitely be the "gritty" element outside. If you want pure high end it's kind of hard to do while seeing the sights in LA - Hollywood Boulevard and Exposition Park (where the museums are) both are not the nicest areas right now. Stay in the wealthier areas like Beverly Hills or West Hollywood and they keep that out more. If you're there on the weekend consider doing the Magic Castle for brunch (the only time open to under 21). It's an amazing experience but I believe you have to stay at their hotel to gain access if not invited by a member.

I agree on a hotel in Beverly Hills or Loews in Hollywood as the hotel.

For activities, it depends on what your son likes. We've done the museums in exposition park, touristy stuff on Hollywood Blvd... There's a new Academy Awards museum opening September 30 that looks amazing near La Brea Tar Pits and LACMA. The WB studio tour is cool. Or just going to Santa Monica and hanging out at the beach cam be fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter