Need Hotel Recommendations

poohs_hunny

DIS Veteran
I am looking for a nice hotel for a long weekend trip this October - nothing too fancy. Important things are decent rates and close proximity (walking distance) to both Disneyland and the Anaheim Convention Center. Being close to Disneyland is more important, since we only have to go to the Convention Center once, but I'd like to keep that distance to under a mile. Continental breakfast would be nice, but not a must. I've already looked into Best Western Park Place Inn, but they are already booked for that weekend. Thanks for any recommendations! :)

I would start by checking expedia, just to see who has rooms available for your dates and in the price range you want. Then look at the reviews. If it's about 3.8 or higher, I would consider it.

Another good source to check is tripadvisor.com

I personally can recommend Howard Johnson and the Anaheim Hilton, but neither has a continental breakfast, and the Hilton can get pricey.

The Candy Cane Inn gets good reviews and offers a continental breakfast. You can only book a room there on their website.

You can also check with GetAwayToday.com and Costco.com. They often have good packages.

October is a great time to visit!:thumbsup2

Disneyland and the convention center are at least 2 miles apart. Here are all the hotels within walking distance to Disneyland.

The convention center borders Katella, right across from Disney's California Adventure Park. It located next to the Anabella Hotel. (I just wanted to add that looking at Hydroguy's link on walking distances to Disneyland, the furthest room of the Anabella is a little over 4700 feet away, so the Convention Center is about 5000 feet in walking distance, or just under a mile. There is 5280 feet in a mile.)

Actually you may want to look into the Anabella as a place to stay too. It's about a 15 minute walk to Disneyland (cutting through the Grand Californian Hotel), and a 5 minute walk to the convention center. For some reason it gets tepid reviews here on the DisBoards, but it gets pretty good reviews on tripadvisor.com and expedia.

LOVE the Sheraton, that's our preferred off site hotel. You'll want to shuttle to DL - just FYI. Doesn't sound bad but after a full day walking at DL, your feet will hurt.

Howard Johnson's have heard good things about the the walking distance is a piece of cake. Heard okay things about Anabella - it's older but clean.

Carousel Inn, Tropicanna, BWPPI and Park Vue Inn are the closest to DL but just over a 1 mile away from the convention centre. CCI is about the middle of the two, just over half a mile to DL and about half a mile to Convention Centre. Got a real loyal fan base, does have a continental breakfast and a free shuttle to DL every half hour. Rooms a little small, ok if just two of you, a little over priced IMO as it is dearer than other closer hotels but has really beautiful gardens and might be the ideal location for what you want.

Candy Cane Inn is very nice. We enjoyed the shuttle bus with A/C and the free breakfast. We did walk it one night and it wasn't a problem. It is not as close as Park Place Inn or Camelot though.

I agree, the Candy Cane Inn would be a great in between location for you. It's close enough to walk to either DL or the convention center within 15 minutes or less.

Also, the Candy Cane Inn provides PRIVATE shuttles to and from the parks, so there's no sharing with any other hotels/motels in the area. I believe they run every 30 minutes.:thumbsup2

If you can get one with a private shuttle rather than the group hotel shuttle - TAKE IT! The group hotel shuttles can be a long wait sometimes.

We usually stay at the Candy Cane Inn or Hojo. CCI is nice if you are travelling without children because the pool is really small. Holds 15 max. Hojo is great if you have kids because their is lots to swim/splash in!

The Alpine Inn is right across the street from the Convention Center. Not much to look at but the rates are 'decent',and if you're lucky (a big IF) the parking lot shuttle is up and running,beats walking 'all' the way to D/L.
Of course the walk back from the parking-lot can be a 'little' worrisome. Kinda dark on Katella for some reason.:confused3

Thanks for all of the great suggestions, everyone. Please keep them coming! I did a LOT of research yesterday, and I found three hotels that really appealed to me: Howard Johnson's, Candy Cane Inn, and Carousel Inn. There have already been posts that tell me how far from both Disneyland and the Convention Center the Candy Cane Inn is. I know that HoJos and the Carousel Inn are close to Disneyland, but what about the Convention Center? Out of those three, which would you recommend and why? Thanks again!

As for rates, you really can't beat that entertainment card rate at Hojo. And, you *should* be able to get either the $69 or $54 rate during October. However, it's probably the farthest from the convention center of the ones mentioned. Probably not even a mile away though.

We are really wanting to try the Candy Cane Inn, especially with the private shuttle! They have an AAA rate of $99 for their regular rooms, and $109 for the deluxe room. And yet, that $69 HOJO rate keeps calling my name .... so for now that is where we are booked.

HTH!

As for rates, you really can't beat that entertainment card rate at Hojo. And, you *should* be able to get either the $69 or $54 rate during October. However, it's probably the farthest from the convention center of the ones mentioned. Probably not even a mile away though.

We are really wanting to try the Candy Cane Inn, especially with the private shuttle! They have an AAA rate of $99 for their regular rooms, and $109 for the deluxe room. And yet, that $69 HOJO rate keeps calling my name .... so for now that is where we are booked.

HTH!

That HoJo rate does sound great, but I don't have an Entertainment book. It figures that this year was the one time that my school didn't have this as a fundraiser! :headache:

That HoJo rate does sound great, but I don't have an Entertainment book. It figures that this year was the one time that my school didn't have this as a fundraiser! :headache:

After doing your research, if you decide on the HOJO, you can still get a SCREAMIN deal on the 2007 entertainment book at their website. I think it's something like $7.99 and free shipping .... and if you buy it through fatwallet there is a $5 rebate (or mypoints gives you about 750 points for the purchase - almost enough for a $5 gc). :idea:

With the amount of money you would save on the hotel itself by having the entertainment card, spending $25 to get the 2008 version could be totally worth it ;)

Just my .05 :goodvibes

Of the three you have mentioned I would choose the Carousel Inn as it is the closest to DL, as you are going to the convention centre only once I would bite the bullet and walk there and back or catch a taxi, (the price difference between CCI and Carousel will pay for it). You are going to be in DL for multiple days and the convenience of coming out for lunch and a rest at the busiest time of the day is just so worth one walk to the convention centre. CCI and Hojos are just that little bit to far to do that comfortably, whilst CCI has a shuttle it only runs every 30 minutes. Carousel is also the only one of the three that has a microwave in the room, we found that invaluable. Both Carousel and CCI includes a breakfast, the Carousel breakfast is superior. Hojos wins out on the pool front whilst CCI has the best grounds. If it just a couple of you travelling get a quote from Carousel on the single King rooms.

Definately check out the Fairfield Inn. My DH and I have stayed there a couple of times and we love it. It's only a block from the main esplanade entrance and it's reasonably priced.

Hope this helps and have a great trip!
pikaboo27

HTH!

Where did you find the $69 rate? I checked the Entertainment book site and it showed a $129 or $119/night rate for my nights in Oct. I can't believe there would be such a big difference. And it's October - not a busy time! :confused3 Can you point me in another direction?

You have to call the Hojo in Anaheim directly. Mon - Fri during the day and ask for IN-HOUSE reservations. If you just say reservations, they will transfer you to the corporate ressie line and they will quote 10 - 20% off for Entertainment Rate. I have done this and it took a few calls to finally get it right!:thumbsup2 Good luck, let us know if you get the awesome deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter