Need help identifying the year on this!! :)

TigrLvsPooh

Travel Channel's Ultimate Disney Fan
I found a cool glass at Goodwill today! :) Only 99 cents! I'd love to know what year it might be from. Does anyone know what years the Poly was called the "Polynesian Village"??? The back of the glass says Walt Disney World and has a picture of Cinderella's castle and the Contemporary. Thanks for any help anyone can give me! :thumbsup2

be813bb9.jpg

6016928c.jpg

Sorry no idea here I think the Poly was still called Polynesian Villiage when we first went in 1989 but not sure. In any case very cool find :thumbsup2

I stand corrected, according to Wikipedia the "Village" was dropped in 1985. So your glass is at least 26+ years old. All I can say is WOW I need to go to Good Will

Just spent about 30 minutes trying to find an answer, but instead came up with some cool links about the history of the Poly:
http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/polynesian-history/story-begins
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-disneys-contemporary-and-polynesian-resorts/

Both of which seem to acknowlege the name and logo change, but neither put a date on it (unless I missed it in my skimming!). Sorry, I know this doesn't help, but thought I'd pass it along anyway!

Ok, I totally missed the second line the pp's response. In my defense, the color change blended in with the signature, so I skimmed over it, LOL!

Thank you so much you guys!!!! I should have thought to ask tikiman, he's probably seen this glass before. :) I am just super excited I found it!!!

Your glass is from the very earliest days of the resort. The graphic of the sailboat and castle was only used in the pre-opening art and the first ten years or so, and then dropped. Not sure exactly what year it was scrapped but I would guess no later than '82. I have a ressie confirmation that still used that logo from then, but nothing newer until very recently on the nostalgia merchandise.

Most likely, your glass came from the Papeete Bay Verandah, where it was "free" with the purchase of a Hawaiian specialty drink. Now all you need to find is the little umbrella that came on top of the drink...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter