Need help choosing with 2 13-mo-olds...

mickeymom629

DIS Veteran
We are a group of 7 adults (DH, myself, DS23, DS30, his wife and 13 mo old, DS28, his wife and 13 mo old) and I can't decide between:
  1. BLT 2 bdrm LV for 3 nights followed by 4 nights in SSR grand villa
  2. AKV 2 bdrm savanna view (for kids/grandkids) and savanna studio (DH/me) - all 7 nights
  3. AKV 2 bdrm savanna view - everyone 2 nights, then DH/me switch to 1 bdrm standard for 5 nights
  4. AKV 2 bdrm standard for 3 nights followed by 4 nights standard GV (if available)
I think not moving at all would be easiest, but I really love the thought of being close to MK and E for our first two days. Though we will probably be back to MK on our last day. We have 5 day passes and plan to visit all 4 parks.

I appreciate any thoughts!!

Last edited:
Any reason why you can't do BLT for all nights? Moving isn't bad but with little ones you will most likely be stuck without a room for nap time one day. Being walking distance to MK is huge with little ones. No stroller to fold up, no waiting for a bus....big advantage. I love AKL but if you are doing lots of parks, it's probably not worth it. If you have a couple of resort only days, then it's wonderful

Any reason why you can't do BLT for all nights? Moving isn't bad but with little ones you will most likely be stuck without a room for nap time one day. Being walking distance to MK is huge with little ones. No stroller to fold up, no waiting for a bus....big advantage. I love AKL but if you are doing lots of parks, it's probably not worth it. If you have a couple of resort only days, then it's wonderful

Thanks! I would love to stay at BLT the entire time but it isn't possible since we are DVC owners using the points we currently have. I don't want to pay cash for this stay, since it was kind of "unplanned", though I haven't stopped planning since it was mentioned. :)
So, would you stay at BLT part of the time for the convenience or AKV all of the time for the convenience of not moving luggage?

I don't mind split stays BUT we always have a car and I didn't visit wdw when ds was that young. (San Diego yes. DL day trips yes. Local hotels yes. But not wdw)

Having a car helps you see that parks and hotels aren't that far from each other.

Therefore, even though AKL (Jambo and kidani) is my least fave hotel I would just stay there from your choices.

Though I personally would actually check out OKW and if that's available I'd stay there the whole trip. Huge rooms and so nice!

Thanks! I would love to stay at BLT the entire time but it isn't possible since we are DVC owners using the points we currently have. I don't want to pay cash for this stay, since it was kind of "unplanned", though I haven't stopped planning since it was mentioned. :)
So, would you stay at BLT part of the time for the convenience or AKV all of the time for the convenience of not moving luggage?

Ok, so I'm thinking what you are saying is that BLT isn't available for your entire stay? Hum, that's tough. What do your DS and DIL's say? I would lean towards the split but only if they think their kids can handle a day with no nap. Perhaps you will get lucky and a room will be available, but plan that it won't. If you have a car, I would definitely move your own luggage. They only do transfers once a day so it might not be until evening when you get your luggage back.

A 2 bedroom will be tight for that amount of people / make up of the group. While I LOVE BLT for the convenience, I would NOT want to stay there in such tight quarters with IL's or my own parents. It's so nice having a bit of separation lol. Treehouse Villa maybe? Grand Villa anywhere? Or save your points for a future trip and book a house offsite? We're renting a 5-bedroom with a private pool for $800/week.

Ok, so I'm thinking what you are saying is that BLT isn't available for your entire stay? Hum, that's tough. What do your DS and DIL's say? I would lean towards the split but only if they think their kids can handle a day with no nap. Perhaps you will get lucky and a room will be available, but plan that it won't. If you have a car, I would definitely move your own luggage. They only do transfers once a day so it might not be until evening when you get your luggage back.
We could rent a car. My sons and DIL's are fine with either, but they say they prefer AKV and no moving. I just can't help but think of the convenience for a few days, at least. :)

A 2 bedroom will be tight for that amount of people / make up of the group. While I LOVE BLT for the convenience, I would NOT want to stay there in such tight quarters with IL's or my own parents. It's so nice having a bit of separation lol. Treehouse Villa maybe? Grand Villa anywhere? Or save your points for a future trip and book a house offsite? We're renting a 5-bedroom with a private pool for $800/week.
I think I have a problem with the close quarters more than my DIL's or sons :) I am picturing all of our STUFF! Right now, at home, all are living with us except for one DS, DIL and 6 mo old (on the west coast; we are on the east). That is awesome that you have the house/pool for such a great price! But, especially with DVC, we all want to stay on property. Treehouse villas do not look like they would work. I don't have enough points right now for 7 nights in a grand villa. I hadn't planned on taking a trip until I had more points available but I mentioned it and everyone liked the idea - of course! One DIL already had to request the week off that I am planning! So, I'm bound now. (also, one DIL said she'd sleep on the floor to be in WDW! :) ) I don't think any of them can imagine what it will be like when their babies are 6 months older than they are now...moving!

As far as naps, I feel like the babies will just nap in the strollers if we are out and about - at least that's what my kids did when they were young. We will have a day or 2 to relax.

Last edited:
As far as naps, I feel like the babies will just nap in the strollers if we are out and about - at least that's what my kids did when they were young. We will have a day or 2 to relax.

My kids do the stroller naps too - in fact I usually put them down in the stroller even if we'll be hanging around the resort lol. But I just can't imagine the close quarters for that many people. Will 1 son be in the 2nd bedroom? Or DS/DDIL and DS/DDIL both in spare bedroom? You said you're a group of 7 but don't you mean 9?

I love staying onsite, but honestly I'd prefer individual studios unless you can swing the grand villa (or maybe a 1 bedroom plus 2 studios, for the laundry convenience)

The sofa bed is uncomfortable, just my opinion. If possible, I wouldn't have adults sharing that bed although it is probably fine for children. I think a real bed for everyone would be ideal. For this reason, I'd go with the 2 bedroom for each couple with their baby and the studio. This will also give you some separation in case the babies wake up crying ;) Every couple will have their own private space and no one will be sleeping in a living room.

I'd do option #2. Stay in one place the whole trip. Kids get their separate area, grandparents get their separate space too (you can visit the 2br and escape to your studio for occasional peace and quiet).

The sofa bed is uncomfortable, just my opinion. If possible, I wouldn't have adults sharing that bed although it is probably fine for children. I think a real bed for everyone would be ideal. For this reason, I'd go with the 2 bedroom for each couple with their baby and the studio. This will also give you some separation in case the babies wake up crying ;) Every couple will have their own private space and no one will be sleeping in a living room.

Thanks! And I am leaning toward #2 after everyone's good thoughts! One little family will have the master bdrm, the other will have the 2-bed room. I will let DS23 decide if he wants to have the other bed in that room or the sofa bed in our studio - and he can switch off if he wants. I think the living area in the 2 bdrm should have no one sleeping in it. Hopefully that will work. I could give one of the families the studio and DH and I can share the 2-bed room with DS23....

3 studios might be a great option, one baby waking up another, would not be ideal. When are you going? Poly studios are very large and moderately easy to get at 7 months out

Definitely rent a car if you're going to do a split stay. We had to add a night and swap resorts due to a cancelled flight last week. In theory what sounded like an easy process became quite the ordeal. Our luggage was picked up from our original room at 9am and we didn't receive our bags in our other room until 1:30am. The resort told us exactly what Nicole mentioned, that they have very few people working on transferring the luggage and it's a once a day thing. It wasn't anyone's fault at either of the resorts but it made for a stressful night. Everything was done to try to make us as comfortable as possible and get us diapers etc but obviously not an ideal situation with a baby.

I'd vote for not moving. With that many people it will be a real hassle to pack up everything and move and resettle...it'll eat up a bit of time that you could be relaxing and playing instead. Savannah view sounds pretty great to me.

3 studios might be a great option, one baby waking up another, would not be ideal. When are you going? Poly studios are very large and moderately easy to get at 7 months out

I actually could "afford" 3 studios (AKV savanna, not Poly -the entire week is not available) with the points but that leaves DS23 on a pullout sofa bed. Also, since we'll be with my son and his wife/baby who live across the country, we really want to be together as much as possible.
I think I will offer the choice of DH and I in the 2-bed room with DS23, let the west coast son stay in the master bedroom with his family and let the little family who lives with me get the studio if DS 23 doesn't want to share a room with one of the families, though they are all close and get along.

Last edited:
We are a group of 7 adults (DH, myself, DS23, DS30, his wife and 13 mo old, DS28, his wife and 13 mo old) and I can't decide between:
  1. BLT 2 bdrm LV for 3 nights followed by 4 nights in SSR grand villa
  2. AKV 2 bdrm savanna view (for kids/grandkids) and savanna studio (DH/me) - all 7 nights
  3. AKV 2 bdrm savanna view - everyone 2 nights, then DH/me switch to 1 bdrm standard for 5 nights
  4. AKV 2 bdrm standard for 3 nights followed by 4 nights standard GV (if available)
I think not moving at all would be easiest, but I really love the thought of being close to MK and E for our first two days. Though we will probably be back to MK on our last day. We have 5 day passes and plan to visit all 4 parks.

I appreciate any thoughts!!

What are the room arrangements going to be and how does everyone feel about them? You really can't beat the location and ease of transportation with little ones and strollers, however a 2 bedroom for the first 3 nights with what is essentially 3 small families and a single traveling could be a little tight, especially since there are 2 babies. If it was only 1 family with both babies, then I'd just give them the master and be done with it, but since you've got babies with both families, I'm not sure how that would work. I'd be afraid one baby would wake up at night which would wake the other etc. or you guys are going to be stuck sharing a room with a baby and family etc.

I actually could "afford" 3 studios (AKV savanna, not Poly -the entire week is not available) with the points but that leaves DS23 on a pullout sofa bed. Also, since we'll be with my son and his wife/baby who live across the country, we really want to be together as much as possible. I think I will offer the choice of DH and I in the 2-bed room with DS23, let the west coast son stay in the master bedroom with his family and let the little family who lives with me get the studio if DS 23 doesn't want to share a room with one of the families, though they are all close and get along.

I think this is a great idea. Plus, with the 2-bedroom you will get the kitchen and the washer/dryer which will be great for everyone, especially the little ones. I would definitely pick option 2 so you can stay put for all 7 nights!

I really appreciate all the responses!! You all really helped me feel good about deciding. Now, hopefully, I won't have trouble booking. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter