Need FP Advice! My son is 43 1/2 inches

Even if your son were 44 inches tall, it doesn't mean he should ride. Not all kids are ready for the mature thrill rides just because they are tall enough. This past year we went with my adult daughter and SiL and our two grandkids, 9 and 11. They took them on space mountain and the 9 year old was really mad at her parents and didn't trust them after that. It made her anxious for all the rides thereafter. (The 11 year old love it and went on twice.) Remember space mountain is a single seater seat configuration. Just saying...

I agree with this assessment. My son will be 44" in January for our trip, but he's only 4, so he might not be ready for some of the more "thrilling" rides. Of course, we're not guaranteed a rider swap since he'll be tall enough (discussing the whole rider swap policy and implementation regarding guests who are tall enough to ride but don't want to is nothing but a can of worms), so we're just going to reserve FP+s for all of us and then play it by ear once we get there...

Even if your son were 44 inches tall, it doesn't mean he should ride. Not all kids are ready for the mature thrill rides just because they are tall enough. This past year we went with my adult daughter and SiL and our two grandkids, 9 and 11. They took them on space mountain and the 9 year old was really mad at her parents and didn't trust them after that. It made her anxious for all the rides thereafter. (The 11 year old love it and went on twice.) Remember space mountain is a single seater seat configuration. Just saying...
My kids were on it at 4 and 5. I think a 9yo being angry about it is unusual. I don't mean "weird" - all kids are different - merely unusual.

Surely OP knows her own child.

I get this. Since this trip is for our son, I wouldn't make reservations if he wasn't an extremely brave daredevil! And if we get to the front of the line, and he changes his mind, we will just move along to something else. But since he really wants to do the space rides, I want him to have the chance, IF he can fit in the seats/restraints, which is what the height requirements are based on.

My suggestion for anyone who is borderline on height is to go to guest services to be measured. At least in the past, they would give you a wrist band which indicates which attractions would be allowed. If the child meets the height requirement there, you have proof for all other attractions that day.

They don't do this at WDW. You have to be measured at each ride.

make sure you have him practice with a bar to have him hit. had a grandson who was tall enough but he wouldn't bump the bar just went under so he wasn't allowed to ride. took a nice CM who worked with him get him to bump his head cause he was used to standing tall against the wall with the ruler put over him. also remember if he is not tall enough he will not be allowed to wait with you in line.
Does anyone have a link to a video that shows the kind of bar they use to measure height?

I was sort of wondering this too. I got every FP for our whole group (3) since youngest DD is only 2. Some of the rides we planned to ride solo but we still got a fp for older DD who may or may not always meet the height requirements or may not choose to ride. If she doesn’t meet the requirement or doesn’t want to ride, do we just then at the ride cancel that fp+ for her so that we can make our next one for the whole group(assuming we would be using up all the fp for the adults in the group)? I guess I’ll make someone’s night when I cancel her FOP fp bc she doesn’t meet the height requirement for that one but DH and I want to ride so we’ll ride solo.

Exactly. The rules are there for the child's safety.
If you had continued reading the thread, you would have seen that I stated 3 times that I am not trying to skirt the rules. This is the 4th time. This trip is for my son. If he can't ride the rides, that's fine. But since I need to make plans 2 months in advance, I wanted recommendations about
1-whether I could exchange my FP if my son doesn't grow an extra 1/2 inch, or
2- not to bother chancing in it.

It's hard enough trying to figure out what a kid will like 2 months in advance. I appreciate everyone who has shared their similar situations, and offered real advice.

If you had continued reading the thread, you would have seen that I stated 3 times that I am not trying to skirt the rules. This is the 4th time. This trip is for my son. If he can't ride the rides, that's fine. But since I need to make plans 2 months in advance, I wanted recommendations about
1-whether I could exchange my FP if my son doesn't grow an extra 1/2 inch, or
2- not to bother chancing in it.

It's hard enough trying to figure out what a kid will like 2 months in advance. I appreciate everyone who has shared their similar situations, and offered real advice.

Will Disney exchange your FP to something else at that exact time? No. Can you cancel that FP and pick from anything else available at that moment in time.....absolutely. They will measure any questionably tall enough to ride child before you scan for the first time. If your son isn't tall enough, simple walk away, pull out your phone and hit "change FP" and you can select another attraction. Of course it's subject to what is available but MK has the most to choose from so you'll certainly find something everyone wants to ride. You can also ask for a rider swap if the tall enough people still want to ride. Change only the child and whoever is staying behind to a new ride and come back with the swap pass later for that person and up to 2 more to ride again.

regards

Aren't you helpful!!! You certainly embody the holiday spirit!
I am trying to find out if my Fastpass will be forfeited, or if I will get to trade it in for something else. I didn't realize that I would face such animosity from people just for trying to get facts.

I had a plan for fastpasses, and now 4 days beforehand, while trying to get ready for Thanksgiving, I have to decide whether to make a new plan. I want to do the right thing for my family and want to know what to expect. I don't have any Mouse-ka-Tools to help me, and your retort is not appreciated.
Disney is very strict about height requirements as we all know. Will a CM give you an anytime FP if your child is too short to ride and you have to forfeit your FP? Well, maybe. While it wouldn’t be policy and it couldn’t be counted on something like that isn’t out of the realm of possibility. I would change the FP to something you know your child could ride. If it turns out your child is tall enough just hop in the regular, old-fashioned-wait-in-the-line line. Or try to modify FP day of. Make FP for the morning, if it looks like your child can ride you can modify current FP or try to snag the ones you want later in the day. Try not to stress about this. Just enjoy your trip!pixiedust:

Just a suggestion, but we never FP Space Mountain. It is very easy to do at RD. We typically head straight to Tomorrowland and in our experience Space Mountain does not get busy until 9:45 or so. If you don't want to head straight to Space Mountain at RD (if you want to ease into rides a little), I would think you could still easily enjoy Buzz and maybe even Astro Orbiter and then head to Space without too long of a line. Also, if your little guy isn't tall enough for Space, he can still enjoy a little preview of it on the People Mover. Good luck!

Does anyone have a link to a video that shows the kind of bar they use to measure height?
think an upside down L if child goes under he cross piece they are too short. the trick is to make child want to hit cross bar. very like bars that I have seen at any theme park we have been to. my grandson just didn't want to bump his head on the bar. I never took pic or video as I have seen so many

Back in August at his annual physical, the nurse measured him at 43", so I figured that by our January trip, he would be over 44". I've been working on which Fast Passes to pick, and we are at 60 days out next week.

Two nights ago, we went to a local park, and their yardstick for the carousel showed that my son wasn't much over 42". YIKES!!!! This morning, I put our son against the wall, and our Stanley metal tape measure shows that he is 43 and a half inches.

So what do I do? Do I plan on him growing a half inch in 64 days - and that the park's rulers match mine?

If I do get FP's for Space Mountain, Mission Space and Expedition Everest, and if any or all of them say he is too short, how do they handle the Fast Passes? Do they allow substitutions?

I'm already stressed out picking FPs and trying to figure what time to get them for. This is not a surprise I needed! I am telling myself that this is supposed to be a VACATION(!!), so stop worrying, but it's not happening yet.
giphy.gif
don't know if you know or not but he would have to sit by self in Space Mountain car no side by side sitting. something to think about as you will most likely not be able to touch/put arm around

Also keep in mind that unfortunately not all the measuring sticks are perfectly accurate. So it’s entirely possible he’ll make it on one ride, but not another. I have a son who was just 40” one trip. He did make it on all the 40” inch rides, but sometimes there was a noticeable difference when they measured him. Hope for best - prepare for the worst. Which for me would be making the FP for the “big” rides.

If it were my kid, I'd totally bet on him growing a half inch in two months. Definitely plan to go first thing in the morning, we see close to a 3/4in difference in height for our kids by 3-4pm.

I only skimmed through this thread, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned. Sometimes they will measure twice--before he gets in the line and again near the boarding area. It is possible for a child to be measured and allowed in the line but not be allowed to board if they don't meet the requirement at the loading area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter