need expert strategy for DCA rope drop

dorchrislen

Eat, Sleep & Breathe WDW
We are going on a non EMH day end of Oct. We used to first get FP for RSR, then do CS and TSMM, then get FP for Soarin and do GRR, all before using the RSR FP (by around 10am on an 8am opening).

Now with the new Soarin scene and the new Frozen show, how should we go about it? We want to get the 4pm show, so I imaging we don't want to get the Frozen FPs right away.

I'm thinking still get RSR FP, then do CS and TSMM, then Soarin FP, then ride RSR and get Frozen FP after that. Then get GRR FP and do other faster loading rides while waiting? I need expert weigh-in. Thanks!

I'm not any kind of DLR expert, but when I planned our Disneyland/CA trip, I found DLR Prepschool to be very helpful.

I can plan WDW in my sleep but DLR was another animal entirely...we had 5 park days, so there was wiggle room, and we didn't do hard and fast touring plans there because I had to deal with paper fast passes and luck-of-the-draw return times. We were there the week Soarin' Around the World premiered and getting a fast pass for it wasn't hard at all, even though the app said they weren't available, they were, and usually within an hour or two from pass pull to ride time. We had no interest in dealing with any of the Frozen show madness, so we skipped it. (on the other hand, we did wait half an hour to be first in line for Nick and Judy. Priorities, haha!)

Anyway, enough of my non-helpful rambling! Good luck making your plans and have a fun trip! And seriously, DLR Prepschool is a good resource!!

RSR last for much longer. I would ride TSMM, Screamin' and then come back for RsR FP, get Frozen FP and then to Soarin' if the line is less than 30 minutes I would ride it then and the rest is up to you. If you want FP for WoC I would get them after riding Soarin.

We are going on a non EMH day end of Oct. We used to first get FP for RSR, then do CS and TSMM, then get FP for Soarin and do GRR, all before using the RSR FP (by around 10am on an 8am opening).

Now with the new Soarin scene and the new Frozen show, how should we go about it? We want to get the 4pm show, so I imaging we don't want to get the Frozen FPs right away.

I'm thinking still get RSR FP, then do CS and TSMM, then Soarin FP, then ride RSR and get Frozen FP after that. Then get GRR FP and do other faster loading rides while waiting? I need expert weigh-in. Thanks!

That looks like a good plan. It is similar to what we did when there in August (except for the Frozen Fastpass) Not sure if you realize this but the Frozen fast pass is not part of the regular system so you can get that at any time. I would watch the Frozen fast pass time to be sure you don't miss out. We got ours around 9:10 am for the first show. I think the last show Fastpasses were gone around 11 or 12 in the morning. By the way you might also want to get your World of Colour fastpass when the park opens too. That is not attached to the system either so you can have that and ride fastpasses at the same time.

Updating my post due to Towers new popularity.

Grab FP Tower or Terror walk through Bugs Land to Paradise Pier
Ride TSMM
Then Screamin
Fun Wheel
Goofy
Save Symphony Swings and Mermaid for later.
Grab FP for WOC
Ride Grizzly, no need for FP that early.
Grab FP for RSR
Grab FP for Frozen
Use FP for Tower of Terror
Lunch time
Next FP will be for Soarin

ME

Last edited:
We did almost exactly as DLRExpert recommends above on our non-EE days in August, with the exception that we grabbed RSR FPs before riding Soarin and Grizzly. It worked great! We didn't do Frozen, so not sure about timing on that one.

Grab Soarin FP
Ride TSMM
Then Screamin
Fun Wheel
Goofy
Grab FP for WOC
Grab FP for Frozen
Grab FP for RSR
Use FP for Soarin
Lunch time
Next FP will be for Tower

ME

Thank you!! I've been wondering how to do our day at DCA too!! This is about what I had planned in my head but without the Frozen show.... I want to try to plan to get a RSR FP to ride at in the evening right after all the lights come on.

I see a lot of people suggesting you skip RSR at first and get that later. And that's fine if you're OK with riding it only once. Most people are OK with that. But my kids love Cars and they love that ride. So we try to hit it 2-3 times each day we're at DCA. So we hit it first and grab a FP right after. Of course, that means it's harder to ride everything else in the park for the rest of the day, but we just deal with it.

Grab Soarin FP
Ride TSMM
Then Screamin
Fun Wheel
Goofy
Grab FP for WOC
Grab FP for Frozen
Grab FP for RSR
Use FP for Soarin
Lunch time
Next FP will be for Tower

ME

Thanks! Everyone has great advice. But it seems like you have a good approach here. I notice you have the frozen and RS our fast pass grab at the same time. Is frozen not connected for sure? That would work well.

I have tickets to the world of color dessert party in the evening, so I don't need to worry about that. I also want to try to ride Tower of terror in the evening to see how it is with the lights off.

Thanks! Everyone has great advice. But it seems like you have a good approach here. I notice you have the frozen and RS our fast pass grab at the same time. Is frozen not connected for sure? .

Yes, for sure Frozen is not connected at this time. If they ever do connect, which I don't think will happen, you'll hear about it here and on other Disneyland sites.

I see a lot of people suggesting you skip RSR at first and get that later. And that's fine if you're OK with riding it only once. Most people are OK with that. But my kids love Cars and they love that ride. So we try to hit it 2-3 times each day we're at DCA. So we hit it first and grab a FP right after. Of course, that means it's harder to ride everything else in the park for the rest of the day, but we just deal with it.

We find the single rider line allows for multiple rides in a day pretty easily.

We went on Friday and pulled a FP for Frozen at 11:30am and got Orchestra in the 4:00 show. (in case that's helpful)

We find the single rider line allows for multiple rides in a day pretty easily.

I hear this said often. But I have kids from 5-11, so single rider doesn't work for our family. And even if we were older, I'm not sure I'd want to split up. That's not quite why we go to DL. But others certainly find this way to ride much better.

I think the biggest thing is going to be how to get the 4 pm Frozen show Fast passes.

We went on Thursday 9/8. DCA opened at 10 am. We had Ariel's Grotto for breakfast at 9, finished around 10, and arrived to pick up the Frozen fast pass around 10:10. We got the 11:30 am show, Mezzanine level.

There's no way to choose which show or which seating group unfortunately, the just fill them in order.

I am not sure if the Disneyland App reports which fast pass they are currently offering like it does for the rides.

There is a little sign sitting on top of the fast pass machines that say which show is currently being dispensed, but you have to physically go there to see (or the CMs there can tell you)

One technical thing, when you are waiting for rope drop, they keep a separate line in the left for people waiting to get Frozen FPs (the CM walks the line over after RD), so if you want the 4 pm I don't think you should wait in that line.

Thanks! Everyone has great advice. But it seems like you have a good approach here. I notice you have the frozen and RS our fast pass grab at the same time. Is frozen not connected for sure? That would work well.

I have tickets to the world of color dessert party in the evening, so I don't need to worry about that. I also want to try to ride Tower of terror in the evening to see how it is with the lights off.

Frozen is most definitely disconnected.

If you follow DLRExpert's plan, or mine which is very similar, just getting RSR FPs before riding GRR/Soarin', you should do great. We had almost the same plan you do in August, minus Frozen (we were back at our hotel in the afternoon during the time you'll be doing Frozen). You should be able to get ToT FPs with no problem later in the day. Just watch the return times so you're not scheduled to be on it during Frozen or too close to WoC. The only thing you may have trouble with is trying to ride RSR twice if you want to ride it at night. I know you didn't mention that, but someone else did. Dessert Party will take up a big chunk of time, making RSR twice difficult.

For Tower and RSR if you want experience it at night I would use the Disneyland App and then grab the FP for the time you want.
However, Tower has been quite popular at night, so expect those night FP's to run our fairly quickly.

For WOC dessert party I would show up to the seat reservation line 15-30 minutes before they tell you. You should already see a line developing.

If you want a chance to ride RSR twice, I would get te RSR first thing before heading to TSMM. This will be an issue for Soarin, especially if you are looking to ride Tower and RSR at night, plus do WOC dessert party.

So new plan is for RSR twice is...
RSR FP first, stay to the left of the middle rope drop.
TSMM
Screamin
Fun Wheel
Goofy
Save Swings and Mermaid for later the waits will always be short
Grizzly
Soarin, wait time should be around 30-40 minutes
Grab FP for Frozen, check with CM at Frozen FP to see what the return time is and what the estimate may be for the showtime you are looking for. Whatever they tell you, add 10 minutes to that.
Check FP return time on Disneyland App for 2nd RSR FP and Tower. Grab FP if it matches the time you want to ride. RSR Night FP should come up before Tower.
Then take Bugs Land to trail to Cars Land and use RSR FP

ME

For Tower and RSR if you want experience it at night I would use the Disneyland App and then grab the FP for the time you want.
However, Tower has been quite popular at night, so expect those night FP's to run our fairly quickly.

For WOC dessert party I would show up to the seat reservation line 15-30 minutes before they tell you. You should already see a line developing.

If you want a chance to ride RSR twice, I would get te RSR first thing before heading to TSMM. This will be an issue for Soarin, especially if you are looking to ride Tower and RSR at night, plus do WOC dessert party.

So new plan is for RSR twice is...
RSR FP first, stay to the left of the middle rope drop.
TSMM
Screamin
Fun Wheel
Goofy
Save Swings and Mermaid for later the waits will always be short
Grizzly
Soarin, wait time should be around 30-40 minutes
Grab FP for Frozen, check with CM at Frozen FP to see what the return time is and what the estimate may be for the showtime you are looking for. Whatever they tell you, add 10 minutes to that.
Check FP return time on Disneyland App for 2nd RSR FP and Tower. Grab FP if it matches the time you want to ride. RSR Night FP should come up before Tower.
Then take Bugs Land to trail to Cars Land and use RSR FP

ME

Thanks for your expert advice! I'm not interested in doing RSR twice, so can you give me the plan one more time without that? So thankful.

Thanks for your expert advice! I'm not interested in doing RSR twice, so can you give me the plan one more time without that? So thankful.

Oh wait, I guess you already did with your first recommendation. Sorry about that!

On the app today it shows that there are no FP's available for ToT but still some for RSR so you may want to grab that FP before RSR...

From my understanding they only give FP's out for ToT until like 6:00 then the ride closes and reopens as the last ride experience which I don't think you can get the FP for

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter