• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

National vs. Alamo

TedL

Earning My Ears
We will be arriving at MCO May 15th @ 2:30. I have two car rental reservations, one through National, the other through Alamo. The Alamo total was about $20.00 cheaper. Should I expect lines and would it be worth it to pay the $20 extra for National?

If they are both counter service keep the least expensive one. There will be lines at both counters. Thursdays are not big travel days, so, one could hope the lines are short.
If the National one is for Emerald Aisle or Emerald Reserve, I would pay the extra money.

Alamo and National have always been in bed together so to speak. Only now though are they making a partnership of it. In many cities that require taking a bus to the rental car location the buses are dual branded.

The National rep that I know stated that National gets the new cars and once they have a few miles on them they move them over to Alamo. So if you want a new car stick with National.

My personal preference is Avis which doesn't get discussed as much here but overall I prefer their service. I find the cars are always nicer and cleaner with a bigger selection. My rental experience is more diverse than just MCO. The reason I like Avis is because they always upgrade my car due to my frequent renter status (Avis Preferred Select) and they have my car running with the air/heat running when I get in the car. There is always an attendant there to help me off the bus in locations that have remote lots who always loads my bags in the trunk with a smile. I am not as price conscience since my company foots the bill so I like the service with Avis.

My experience has been very different on Thursday afternoon. Thursday afternoon is when most business travellers are departing to return back home. The selection will be pretty scarce since most cars will be rented out, however cars will be returning en masse so if you don't see something you want ask the attendant and they can probably accomodate you with one of the many cars coming in if you don't mind waiting for it to be refilled and washed.

Just my two cents. YMMV.

We have gotten Alamo twice through Priceline. Once (at midnight!) there was a long line, but they had enough people at the counter so it moved quickly. The other time (late morning) there was no one else waiting. The cars are definitely a but beat up, but they ran fine so at the price we didn't care. The only pain is that once you are done at the counter, you have to wait in another line to exit the garage, unlike Avis. That line moves slower than the one at the counter. But if the price is right, I have no problem with Alamo.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

I should also note that I would probably agree with the poster above. If your choices are National and Alamo go with the cheapest. They are both reputable dealers. Sign up with either's frequent renter program and bypass the counter.

The cars are acceptable at both, but just be aware that the cars at Alamo show a bit more wear but are still new model well maintained mechanically cars.

Thanks for the replies. I think we're going with National. We used them a couple of years ago and found the service to be excellent and the lines short.

Ted

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter