National Car rental

susieeQ

Mouseketeer
Hello again, I just love these boards!
I hope someone can answer me. I have booked a car with National. I have applied for the Emerald club. My question is, my DH will be doing most if not all of the driving. Does the Emerald club and/or ressie have to be in his name, or is mine okay. Do they automatically charge for an extra driver. I went to AAA to pick up my theme park tickets and was told that my AAA insurance covered the rental insurance but that National charged more when the ressie and emerald club memeber was not the driver? Any insights?

yes, card has to be in same name as reservations. I made a reservation in my husband's name, the card is in my name and the only way they will change it is if I rebook with today's rates, which are higher than what I have. So I told them to forget it.

I think if you log on to the National web site and check the restrictions, it states that any member of your immeadiate family who is travelling with you may drive {if over 25 yrs of age}.

I'm no expert, but when we went to Disney in October I had the same questions-so I called them. Everything was in my name, but my husband did ALL the driving, even when we checked out the car at the booth. All he had to do was show his licence along with mine. There was no extra charges. Like the previous postor said, as long as it was immediate family 25 or older there is no problem.
It states this in your Emerald Isle membership kit. :)

All Star Sports Oct 2000
HIFS & Sheraton World Feb 2001

We were in the same situation last Aug. I had the card in my name but husband was doing all the driving. No problem. He just showed his driver's license. No extra fees either. Very smooth.

Thanks for the info!!

I just got my emerald card in the mail today and we're leaving for Orlando on Sunday. All ressies, etc are under my name but I really don't want to drive in Orlando. DH is used to driving the nasty L.A. traffic and he said rush hour traffic in Orlando is nothing compared to LA's. Of course he was there 5 years ago and things may have changed since then.

TTFN - Ta Ta For Now!
tigger.jpg

When I called and asked if I could add my Emerald Card to the reservation in my husand's name, I was advised that it would change the rate to the current rate. I have a great rate for a full size car @ 130. To change to current rate is over $300.

To experiment, I made a reservation for my September vacation. One is his name, one in mine, then went in to mine, changed it to add my emerald club card and the rate went up over $60.

Your husband can drive, even with the reservation in your name, I just would find out about the rate difference if you use your Emerald card

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter