Nanny / Caregiver Issue

That's ok. It's not the right situation for everyone to handle.

Out of curiosity - how would you handle the steps?

what I have done in the past with twins (With the blessing of the parents) is leave the kids in their crib or an otherwise safe place, bring the stroller down the stairs then come get the babies . with just one baby i wore her and carried the folder stroller down

what I have done in the past with twins (With the blessing of the parents) is leave the kids in their crib or an otherwise safe place, bring the stroller down the stairs then come get the babies . with just one baby i wore her and carried the folder stroller down

I thought about that option - the first one - but I didn't feel comfortable with her leaving the baby in the apartment alone (even in her crib) for the time it would take her to do that (about 7 minutes). I also wasn't a fan of leaving the stroller in the building entry vestibule unattended.

The second idea would work if she were physically capable of doing it, but she isn't. She doesn't have enough control over her balance (very bad knees) to comfortably wear the 20lb baby and carry the stroller -plus hold the railing which she needs to do.

Thank you for sharing. I can pass along the second idea to the new nanny as an alternative for her daily outings.

I had a stroller I could carry in one hand as soon as my sons could safely ride in it. To go down or up stairs I'd put my baby in my Ergo and and carry the stroller in one hand. Even though I was pretty fit and agile I'd hold the handrail if there was one for safety. When I was done with the stairs I'd open the stroller with one hand (I loved the City Mini for that reason), pop the baby in the stroller and put the Ergo in the stroller basket. It was an awesome set up for the subway especially since the City Mini takes up almost no space when folded and upright if the subway was crowded. The Ergo made it easier and safer for me to hold him on subway while standing.

I had a stroller I could carry in one hand as soon as my sons could safely ride in it. To go down or up stairs I'd put my baby in my Ergo and and carry the stroller in one hand. Even though I was pretty fit and agile I'd hold the handrail if there was one for safety. When I was done with the stairs I'd open the stroller with one hand (I loved the City Mini for that reason), pop the baby in the stroller and put the Ergo in the stroller basket. It was an awesome set up for the subway especially since the City Mini takes up almost no space when folded and upright if the subway was crowded. The Ergo made it easier and safer for me to hold him on subway while standing.

I like this and could be a great idea for the new nanny. We have an Ergo! I'll suggest it so she has a few options while going out.

Thanks. It only works though if you have a stroller you can easily carry with one hand.

The second idea would work if she were physically capable of doing it, but she isn't. She doesn't have enough control over her balance (very bad knees)

Genuinely curious how you became aware that she had minimal control of her balance and that it was due to her bad knees.

Five steps. You hold the handle of the stroller and tilt it back on its hind wheels (they are larger wheels - think Uppababy Vista if you need a visual reference) and then proceed down each step, slightly pulling back on the handlebar each time you move down to the next step.

They are sort of exterior stairs, so I'm not comfortable with the baby being left at the top or bottom of them

You go down the steps with the baby in the stroller?? :eek: That sounds really dangerous. All it would take is a stumble.

You go down the steps with the baby in the stroller?? :eek: That sounds really dangerous. All it would take is a stumble.

It's really not. The stroller has wheels like a mountain bike. It's made for all terrains including going up and down steps.

OP - it's getting painful to keep watching you defend yourself on this thread - one of us is going to have to stop following it :rotfl2:
I'm not exactly sure how you got demonized so severely; many of the posters apparently just think you're a jerk and are hyper-critical of everything you do or say. FWIW, I never would have hired the mobility-impaired nanny in the first place, let alone have had an emotional dilemma over replacing her. You're doing fine, but don't wait for affirmation from the DIS to reassure you of that. :wave2:

It's really not. The stroller has wheels like a mountain bike. It's made for all terrains including going up and down steps.

I grew up in a city back in the day and it was a common sight to see mothers with their baby in a stroller or full sized carriage going backwards down the steps. Thump. Thump. Thump. And then they had to go back up (usually with the baby surrounded by shopping bags). Sometimes they had to navigate three or more flights of stairs.

As long as the caregiver is able-bodied and I trust them completely with the care of my child (it sounds like this person was too old and not in the best of health) then I would have no problem with them going down 5 steps with my baby in the stroller.

That's ok. It's not the right situation for everyone to handle.

Out of curiosity - how would you handle the steps?
Here's how I would navigate the stairs with stroller: Put the baby in a sling or baby bjorn carrier so she is safe and secure, then use the OP's method to navigate the open stroller up or down the stairs, or carry it folded, it would depend on the stroller. Then take the baby out of the sling and put her in the stroller. I wouldn't do the stairs like that with baby in the stroller. One step, yes, more than one, no way.

Here's how I would navigate the stairs with stroller: Put the baby in a sling or baby bjorn carrier so she is safe and secure, then use the OP's method to navigate the open stroller up or down the stairs, or carry it folded, it would depend on the stroller. Then take the baby out of the sling and put her in the stroller. I wouldn't do the stairs like that with baby in the stroller. One step, yes, more than one, no way.

I think that could work well for someone able to use the Ergo carrier. I've left it out for the new nanny, who starts tomorrow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter