MythBusters at VWL!!

Granny

Yeah, I'm a guy
Okay, Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman really didn't come to WDW but I thought I'd take a look at a couple of the WL/VWL myths and put them to the test.

Myth #1: "That hallway at VWL is soooooooooo long!!"

Evidence:

Well, here's a photo of the "long" hallway at VWL.
28707HPIM1388.JPG

You can see the window at the end of the hallway. And I counted only 14 villas' doors on the left side (11 on the right side if I recall correctly).

14 villas to the end of the hall? Pulleeeez! For a BWV veteran, that would qualify as "close to the elevators". :rotfl:

Verdict: MYTH BUSTED!

Myth #2: Parking at WL is terrible! That parking lot is the worst of all the resorts!

Evidence:

Again, here's a photo:

28707HPIM1392-med.JPG

This photo was taken from behind the very last parking spot in the self-parking lot at WL (you can see the grass on the bottom). You can see for yourself the distance to the main resort, and VWL is over to the right of that.

True, it's not parking right in front of the villa like OKW. But it's not like it's a mile from the resort as many would have you think. Consider that most people are able to park much closer to the resort than this.

And of course, if you don't want to walk that far, you can do as we do and take advantage of free valet parking.

Verdict: MYTH BUSTED!

Now I know that in the summer's heat any walk can seem much farther. Or if you have an in-law chewing in your ear the whole way a walk down that hallway can certainly seem an eternity. :rolleyes1

But IMHO, both of these comments seen frequently on this board are overblown.

BTW, please take this whole thread with the ;) intended!

Way to go, Granny!

Bobbipopcorn::

PS. I made the hallway trek longer by getting off at the wrong floor, walking to where "our villa" was, only to look up then and notice that the first number was not the number of our floor. I had spent the time walking looking at the great pinecone pattern on the floor, and just thinking about how glad I was to be here with my family. Well, my DDiL made my day when I told her and she told me that it could have happened to anyone.:hug:

Our first stay after becoming members was at VWL and we were 2 doors from the end of the hallway. THEN we stayed at BWV. We were also 2 doors from the end of that hallway too. BWV is definitely longer, but they were at least considerate enough to give you benches to rest on during your trips to and from the elevators.

Our first stay after becoming members was at VWL and we were 2 doors from the end of the hallway. THEN we stayed at BWV. We were also 2 doors from the end of that hallway too. BWV is definitely longer, but they were at least considerate enough to give you benches to rest on during your trips to and from the elevators.

Too funny! :rotfl2: Yes, we own at BWV too so I can speak from experience on those hallways.

Bobbi....can you imagine doing the same thing at BWV? :scared1:

Thanks, folks, for taking this thread in the fun spirit it was intended. :)

Great post. I've never understood the complaint about self-parking being far away at WL. We always have self-parked there, and it's not a bad walk at all. When I go to WDW, I know I'm going to do plenty of walking! It helps to work off all those Mickey bars!

Yeah, I love the "it's too far to my room" or the "car is so far away argument." Yet those are probably the same folks that spend 8 hours a day in the parks, waiting 30-45 minutes per ride, ever single day they are there while I am sitting next to the pool sipping on my cocktail of choice.

I've stayed at VWL and BWV and I don't understand the long hallway complaints. Both are short compared to Animal Kingdom Lodge if you're on the end of one of the "trails."

We had 5011 for our BWV stay in December and I thought there must be a few more buildings after the one we were in based on the complaints I'd read about. But we really were just about at the end of the line, although not quite.

I saw those benches on the way from the elevator and thought they were there as a central gathering point or something. Never crossed my mind that they were there for you to rest. :)

:rotfl2: Thanks for the laughs Granny. My husband (I think that show is a 'guy show') will love this thread. :rotfl2:

My favorite negative VWL comment is when they say that the villas are soooooooo far from the lobby :confused3 .

Love it Granny!!:rotfl2:

I sorta wish the parking lots were bigger. That way, when we do self park, we can take in the beauty of the outside of WL just a little longer. Heck, before you know it, you are in the lobby or rounding the bend towards the villas. Then its too late, we forget to look up and soak it all in;)

Here is a tip to get to the villas from the parking lot. Do not head towards the lobby. From the parking lot, head right towards the bus stops, walk past them, and then hang a right to the villas. It cuts a lot of time off the walk (maybe a whole 15 seconds!). I love VWL!!!
BTW, great picture of the hallway. Does it remind anyone of the hallway from Tower of Terror? Maybe that was just my imagination running wild and my love for Tower of Terror!

BTW, great picture of the hallway. Does it remind anyone of the hallway from Tower of Terror? Maybe that was just my imagination running wild and my love for Tower of Terror!
I was thinking more of the one at Haunted Mansion! :rotfl:

Oh Man I was hoping to see dates for them shooting the show there. I could not possibly think of what myths they would work on LOL.

Granny - I agree completely!!!

although being spoiled by OKW - the parking is long - especially carrying groceries.

don't ask why I don't use valet parking - I don't know. I definitely do at BWV - but never have at VWL. Guess it is time to reconsider.

Thanks for the chuckle Granny!

When we stayed at VWL for the first time, we had split our stay and were coming from OKW (after also having stayed at AKL) and we were braced for the long hallways and distance to the parking lot at VWL after reading all of the comments.

We were actually THRILLED to find neither issue to be nearly as bad as it had been portrayed and find both the hallways and parking distances quite manageable and gave us extra time to gawk at all the VWL beauty.

Now, the hallways at AKL...that's a whole 'nuther story but we still love it there too! ;) :)

I agree with AKL having long hallways, especially after a long day at the park. Our first stay at the VWL we were litterally the last room on the first floor and it still wasn't as long as AKL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter