My two sentence DDP Financial Analysis

I did a thorough analysis of the DDP last year vs. our actual spending and we would come out out way behind on the DDP. We eat breakfast in room and have TS for lunch and dinner, including multiple character meals and buffets. With the deluxe dining plan we still would have something like 20 leftover meal credits, almost all unused snacks, and we're not big on refillable mugs. Plus taking into account the DVC member discount at most restaurants, our OOP expenses were several hundred dollars less than if we would have purchased the meal plan. Our girls are also light eaters and sometimes share, so we'd be paying for meals and ordering food that would go uneaten. Just a lot of waste, IMO - people just ordering and consuming things because they have "already paid for it."

I get that some people don't want to worry about what they spend while on vacation and like the "prepaid" aspect of it, but that's not really a concern of ours, especially when it comes w/ an extra cost.

Not true. They added a second snack to the DDP each day and removed the dessert from the QS meal - that's the entire point of my post.

Can't dispute anecdotal instances - can only say that in the 30 or so times we attempted to sub a soup or salad for dessert, we were allowed to do so. Have heard that Trattoria is tough on that though.

In your first post, you said it was an OPTION to replace your dessert with a snack, and that is not true. It's not an option since the dessert no longer exists. Instead, now people have even more snack credits they are trying to use up on their last day. For some people, having snacks to take home is a part of their vacation, and that's okay. For others, that's just more money spent needlessly.

Ex- One day of our upcoming trip we are eating Bfast at Ohana, Lunch at San Angel, and Dinner at Via Napoli. The Dining plan costs $67.33 a day for me to eat, and everything I would pick out on this day equals out to $101. A savings of almost $34. I'm sure we won't save this much money every day, but it's pretty easy to use a calculator.

You're either talking about the deluxe plan, which would be more than $67 per day, or you're using more than a day's allotment of dining credits. It would leave you in a deficit on another day.

You're either talking about the deluxe plan, which would be more than $67 per day, or you're using more than a day's allotment of dining credits. It would leave you in a deficit on another day.

Yes, that's in line with my calculations, too.

jsternad, can you show us what you did to get those amounts?

DDP absolutely works for my family of 2 adults and 1 child. We order what we want. Yes, I have done the calculations. Yes, we save money. YMMV. Don't tell me I'm stupid. (Last sentence not aimed at anyone in particular, but it's the general sentiment of some particular posters that are vehemently against the DDP, even though the DDP never did anything terrible to them as far as I can tell...)

Ex- One day of our upcoming trip we are eating Bfast at Ohana, Lunch at San Angel, and Dinner at Via Napoli. The Dining plan costs $67.33 a day for me to eat, and everything I would pick out on this day equals out to $101. A savings of almost $34. I'm sure we won't save this much money every day, but it's pretty easy to use a calculator.

Using a calculator is easy, but it helps if you put in the correct numbers. You have 3 TS meals listed, and the incorrect price of the regular DDP which only gives you 1 TS meal per night.

So if you're really using the DxDDP so you can have 3 TS meals per night, you're losing $5.68 since the DxDDP cost is $106.68.

If you're using the regular DDP, the cost is $69.35 per night and you're using 3 nights worth of meals in one day, so how does that save you money?

I love steak so for me it is worth it. I could probably eat cheaper, but I don't want to budget while I am on vacation and will make myself miserable trying to eat cheap if I don't get the ddp

I just did the simulation on http://www.distripplanner.com/.
I chose the DxDDP for my 4 nights/5 days trip in July for 2 adults and 1 child. I entered all my ADRs and where I plan to eat. Only 2 meals a day (some 2 credit meals), but spread out on 5 days instead of 3 meals for 4 days.
I come out with no credits left and save around $350. So, I'm happy I chose it.

QUESTION: Is it true that the tips are included at CRT? But not anywhere else?

Using Deluxe Dining Plan
Total would be $1120.77 (Savings: $358.29)
Entitlements Remaining: 0

This dining plan cost $979.04 and covers the following amounts:
  • Entrees & Drinks: $776.54
  • Appetizers: $192.21
  • Desserts: $166.26
  • Snacks: $94.32
  • Refillable Mugs: $53.97
  • Taxes: $54.03
You would need to pay for these amounts out of pocket:
  • Entrees & Drinks: $0.00
  • Appetizers: $0.00
  • Desserts: $0.00
  • Snacks: $0.00
  • Refillable Mugs: $0.00
  • Tips: $141.73
  • Taxes: $0.00
Pay for these meals with the plan:
Date
Meal Type Location Cost
7/24/2017 Lunch QS Riverside Mill Food Court $52.81
7/24/2017 Dinner TS BOATHOUSE $269.48
7/25/2017 Lunch TS Yak & Yeti Restaurant $139.71
7/25/2017 Dinner TS Rainforest Cafe $166.61
7/26/2017 Breakfast QS Be Our Guest Restaurant $75.58
7/26/2017 Dinner TS Cinderella's Royal Table Includes Tip! $195.11
7/27/2017 Breakfast TS Trattoria al Forno $132.32
7/27/2017 Dinner TS Ohana $128.15
7/28/2017 Breakfast QS Old Port Royale Food Court $34.01
7/28/2017 Lunch TS Raglan Road Irish Pub and Restaurant $137.00
Pay for these meals out of pocket:
None

I honestly have never done ddp when it wasn't part of a fall free dining or bounceback offer. So I haven't had to calculate if it were actually cheaper than oop. And "free dining" isn't entirely free since it requires us to buy hoppers, but that's an easy cost to justify.

But I suspect ddp is probably more expensive than oop as I would probably compromise by sharing food, ordering by price, or skipping desert as examples. But I really have grown to love the 'all inclusive' feel, I enjoy the idea of returning home with little on the credit card, and I like feeling like we splurge a little on our vacation when eating out and not feeling guilty.

If I had to pay oop I would probably still do it.

I chose the DxDDP for my 4 nights/5 days trip in July for 2 adults and 1 child. I entered all my ADRs and where I plan to eat. Only 2 meals a day (some 2 credit meals), but spread out on 5 days instead of 3 meals for 4 days.

Using Deluxe Dining Plan

Date
Meal Type Location Cost
None
I think this is a well reasoned tally but I would only challenge if you would have ordered an entre and desert each ts meal per person. Or if you would have split qs meals.

But part of the appeal of ddp is that you don't have to think about that stuff when you're on vacation!

I would only challenge if you would have ordered an entre and desert each ts meal per person. Or if you would have split qs meals!

My family isn't big on sharing food... especially on vacation! hahaha But even if we don't always order appetizers or dessert, we break even! It's all good :) (Man, I can't WAIT to eat at Disney!!!!!!!!!)

We calculate prices for every trip. Some trips we save with the DDP. Some trips we won't. If we won't, we don't get it.

We have toured with the DxDP. It is a different way to tour. But we all enjoy food. And we didn't mind taking breaks for the table service meal.

The other thing to think about when on the DDP is that certain restaurants just aren't a good value like Kona cafe, 50's PT, Sci Fi, B&C and many more. I have done the DDP and enjoyed the convenience of it, but we also sometimes want an app or two, or really could skip desert so we decided that it just isn't worth it to us anymore.

We usually do deluxe. It works for us. I prefer TS. I like to have a break from the heat and the crowds. I don't worry if we come out ahead or not on the money. I like having it paid for ahead of time.

DDP absolutely works for my family of 2 adults and 1 child. We order what we want. Yes, I have done the calculations. Yes, we save money. YMMV. Don't tell me I'm stupid. (Last sentence not aimed at anyone in particular, but it's the general sentiment of some particular posters that are vehemently against the DDP, even though the DDP never did anything terrible to them as far as I can tell...)

You make such a good point. I also get offended when some posters insist that the DDP is money pit. What they mean is that it is a money pit for them and their dining style. It is not usually a bad plan for us, and if they met my DH, analyzed how we dine when he is there, they would scream we should buy the DxDDP every time he is with us.

I am an accountant as is my DD. WE all generally vacation in Disney together, and if I don't want to calculate the value, she will. The last trip I took, I ended up going with a friend, but we had planned on traveling as an extended family. My DDIL is also in finance, and after we had chosen our restaurants for the entire stay, she built a spreadsheet, ran different scenarios between the RO discount and the FD rooms, because we had booked on of each, included various models of DDP, DXDDP, etc, and worked out the best way for us to go. It turned out that I went with my friend, and we chose no DDP because we bought TIW> At that point I decided not to track a thing because the pass was bought and there was no turning back. I am almost embarrassed to admit that I think we at least broke even....two of us, less than one week. But we had a blast! LOL!

Using Deluxe Dining Plan

Date
Meal Type Location Cost
None

Dang, girl, and I thought I was a Type A accountant! Great analysis. Given such, remind me--does DDP include a appetizer and/or dessert, but not both? I keep reading different things on that (or do you just have to find a server in a good mood).

Also, I understand why you included a Tip amount, but isn't that a moot point when doing the calculation, since you'll tip whether or not you're using the DDP anyway (assuming you're ordering the same thing, of course).

Dang, girl, and I thought I was a Type A accountant! Great analysis. Given such, remind me--does DDP include a appetizer and/or dessert, but not both? I keep reading different things on that (or do you just have to find a server in a good mood).

Also, I understand why you included a Tip amount, but isn't that a moot point when doing the calculation, since you'll tip whether or not you're using the DDP anyway (assuming you're ordering the same thing, of course).
DDP includes 1 QS meal (entree and drink), 1 TS meal (entree, drink, dessert), and 2 snacks per day. Some TS places might allow trading out dessert for a small app, but it's pixie dust.

The addition of tip in DDP cost/savings calculations is moot because tipping is optional and the amount is up to the individual. Only the fixed cost of the DDP vs. OOP meal costs should be figured.

I agree with the PPs who said DDP is not meant to be a cost savings. If it works out that way for you, then great! But for many people (most?), you'll break pretty close to even or maybe lose money. Same can be said about "free dining" because you have to compare the room discount savings you are passing up to get the "free" dining plan.

That said, we do like DDP because it's convenient for us and our budgeting. We usually book pretty far in advance, so by adding on DDP, we know our total cost and budget accordingly. We like having it pre-paid and find it to be more than enough food. If this convenience means we're paying a little more for it, then so be it. We don't mind. The only time we don't do DDP is when we're renting points because the savings with point rentals is so great that we just pay OOP for food while we're there.

Let me throw out a perspective here that may perhaps be a bit different.

In all of these dining plan arguments, it's always about whether or not you're saving money by using the dining plan. And the arguments always fall out the same way. Some people insist that for their family, their dining preferences, etc., they come out saving money, and then other people come along to vehemently argue that it's almost impossible to save money on the dining plan.

You know what? I don't care. I don't buy the dining plan to save money. We buy the dining plan because we actually like the dining plan.

I like having the dining plan be a part of my overall vacation package. I like paying it off in advance. I like not thinking about it while I'm on vacation. I even just like that feeling that the vacation is "all-inclusive." For me, psychologically, that has a value. If I went and paid out of pocket every time, I would eat differently and my meals would be less enjoyable. And for those who say, "well, you could just take that same money and put it on a gift card and have the same effect," no, it wouldn't have the same effect for me. Because if it's a gift card, I know that the money I save on dinner that night is still available to be spent somewhere else. I'll still be thinking about "the numbers." I'll still find the whole experience less enjoyable. Simply put, I just want the dining plan, even if it ends up costing me more money in the long run.

Therefore, the Disney dining plan has a value to me and my family. If you don't find it to have a value for you and your family, that's fine. If you think that my reasoning for wanting it is stupid, even that is fine. What I don't understand is the people on the boards -- and, yes, there are people like this, no matter what anyone says -- who are emotionally invested in proving that the dining plan is the wrong choice and who actually get angry with people who disagree. It doesn't make any sense to me. Live and let live. Disney offers the plan because people buy it. There's obviously a demand for it or they wouldn't keep it. Let those of us who want it use it and for those of you who don't want it, Disney will happily let you pay for your meals out of pocket. What's the problem?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter