My trip with an ECV...

BlessedMomOfTwo

Mouseketeer
I wanted to share my experience since several of you were so kind to help me out as I was planning our trip...

As a little background, a little over a month prior to our trip I fell down our staircase and tore one of the ligaments in my knee. We didn't want to cancel our trip, so we decided to rent an ECV for me.

We used Walker Mobility and were pleased. The ECV arrived just as we did, so it was available for me right away. It worked great all week - no problems. I only had to recharge it at night.

I was very nervous about driving it, so I took some time to practice around the resort (CSR). It actually turned pretty well, etc.. I usually let dh back it onto the buses for me, though.

It worked out fine with the buses. A couple of times the lift didn't work on the bus, so we had to wait for the next one. It was a little disappointing for the kids, but the driver usually called for another to come for us. Most all of the bus drivers were very patient and nice. We only experienced a few riders who were frustrated with waiting for us to load the ECV.

Where I could do it, I tried to park in an area and walk from attraction to attraction. I quickly found that my leg swelled badly and I couldn't get the swelling down the whole way at night, etc, so I really needed to use it most of the time.

I was surprised and somewhat dismayed by some of my experiences with other guests at the parks. First, I read here that people will walk right in front of you and boy, did I find that to be true. I was sooo worried about hitting someone by mistake. I had a blister chewed on the inside of my lip from biting it is which something I do when nervous. People would push their children right out in front of me, etc.. Thankfully I didn't hit anyone. I tried to have dh walk in front of me and I followed closely behind him so if I hit anyone it would be him. Still people stepped between us and we often got separated.

The other thing I noticed is that either people assumed that because I was on the ECV, I was hard of hearing or they deliberately were trying to be rude. Some people made some really rude comments. I tried not to let it hurt my feelings, but it honestly did. One lady walking beside me told me that she would never use one of the ECVs because she would be so embarrassed - wasn't I embarrassed to be using it? Leaving Fantasmic, I was driving right behind dh who was pushing our stroller - going with the flow of the traffic. A woman wanted to cross the flow to get to her dh who was on the other side of the street. She pushed her stroller right in front of me and I almost hit it with her little one in it. Her dh told her to watch what she was doing and her reply was, "well she should could stop, you know - those things do have brakes". I guess I didn't understand why it was my responsibility to stop for her rather than try to stay with my family, especially since we were going with the traffic flow. Did my using the ECV make me more responsible to do so? Maybe there are unwritten rules I am not aware of? Those are a few examples.

The worst was when we were leaving the Festival of the Lion King show. We had just seen it for the first time (it was awesome!!!) and dd and ds were picked to be in the show. So, I was really feeling the magic. As with any show, the lines are more congested leaving. I was going the speed those in front of me were going. A lady behind me said very loudly, "well if she didn't let herself get so fat, we wouldn't have to wait for her" as she stormed around in front of me and pushed off into the crowd. I was stunned - still am honestly. Once again I was separated from dh & the kids and I was in tears when I got caught up with them. Then I was upset at myself that I let a stranger upset me and steal that magic away. I actually thought about trying to catch her to let her know about my injury vs her assumption, but then I realized that it wasn't worth it. I am a larger sized person, true, and younger than many using an ECV, but when I am not injured I can walk the parks all day, etc.. I guess it was eye-opening to me that someone would even make such assumptions let alone verbalize them.

Here is how I let that negativity go as best I could. I concentrated on my little ones - how much fun they were having - their smiles and delight. And I knew I couldn't have made that trip without the ECV. And I knew that their enjoyment was way more important than what anyone else might think.

So, while I hope not to have to use an ECV anytime soon, I would recommend that those that need one use it if it will make your trip better for you & your family.

One last thing... I really wanted to compliment the CMS at the Monorail. They were so kind and accomodating when we used the Monorail. Top notch!

Carol

I'm sorry you saw some of the rudeness of people (I swear that being rude is becoming the socially acceptable way to behave). The "nice" people outnumber the rude ones, but it's the rude ones that you remember most - the old saying "Sticks and Stones may hurt your bones, but words can never hurt you" is NOT true.
To answer your one question, you didn't do anything wrong. THe same people who ran into you and cut you off probably do that to other cars when they are driving. I think what you experienced is just an extension of the tailgating and quick cuts, turning in front of other cars that I see every day driving.

Anyway, glad to hear that you were able to have a good time despite some "bumps."

Carol,I'm so glad the ECV worked out for you and you had such a great trip. Stupid people are everywhere too bad we have to deal with them. Thanks for posting your experiences.

BlessedMomOfTwo said:
We used Walker Mobility and were pleased. The ECV arrived just as we did, so it was available for me right away. It worked great all week - no problems. I only had to recharge it at night.

I am glad to read things worked out well with your rental from Walker. I encourage others to rent off property. I entered the MK about noon this past Thursday & there were no ECVs available. Friends came about 2 p.m. & still no ECVs.

BlessedMomOfTwo said:
I usually let dh back it onto the buses for me, though.

Join the club! My husband is better at backing it onto the busses than I am. I need a rearview mirror!

BlessedMomOfTwo said:
It worked out fine with the buses. A couple of times the lift didn't work on the bus, so we had to wait for the next one. ... Most all of the bus drivers were very patient and nice. We only experienced a few riders who were frustrated with waiting for us to load the ECV.

I have found most of the bus drivers to be very helpful. If they cannot take you, they will call for another bus. I had to laugh one time when a lady ran past me to get to the front door of the bus after she saw me nod to the bus driver that I wanted to get on his bus. It was funny to see the look on her face when she realized she had to wait for me to get on first.

BlessedMomOfTwo said:
I was surprised and somewhat dismayed by some of my experiences with other guests at the parks.

I am sorry for you that people were so rude. I call it the rudening of America. You had just as much right to be using that ECV than anyone else - NO reason to be embarrassed at all! We all know that not every disability is visible. Maybe some of those folks thought you couldn't hear what they were saying.

Wow...some people. So sorry that they got to you...don't blame you, they were VERY rude. I travel with my mom a lot and she always needs to rent a scooter...there would be no other way to go anywhere that required walking....we too have rented from Walker and was very pleased with the product and the service! Luckily i have not experienced this type of rudeness...most people actually seemed a little jealous as she was zipping by :moped: and they were exhausted! shhh don't tell anyone but i HAVE been known to hitch a ride at the end of the day! :cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter