My Top 3 Takeaways from My First Trip

RMO87

Earning My Ears
My top three takeaways from our first visit to Universal Studios / Islands of Adventure.

1. Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit roller coaster - Before take off, you select a song to listen to from the speakers in your seat while riding. There are about 30 songs across five genres. Motley Crue's 'Kickstart My Heart' is THE perfect song for this ride. The song's intro with a car revving through its gears goes right along with the coaster going straight up 167 feet toward the sky. Then, as you're going down the hills and through the loops at 65 MPH, the "Whoa! Yeah! Baby!" are perfect--exactly what you're thinking. If Hollywood Studios can have an Aerosmith roller coaster, Universal Studios can team up with Motley Crue!

2. Mel's Diner - $14.59 for hamburgers and chicken sandwiches. Cost us $71 for lunch for four at a non-sit-down restaurant! I guess Mel has to pay for his fancy antique cars sitting out front. Here's a little tip, don't buy bottles of water at Mel's. They are $5 at Mel's, but only $3.50 at the drink kiosks.

3. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Wow, the planning and execution of the set design really make you feel you are transported to Hogsmeade / Diagon Alley. Waiting in line inside of Gringotts for the Escape from Gringotts ride or inside the castle for the Forbidden Journey ride are just breathtaking, with all the cool things to see. BIG disappointment was Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure ride was down for most of the day when we were planning to ride. I feel Disney doesn't have these ride closures as often. E.T. ride was also down for part of that same day.

My top three takeaways from our first visit to Universal Studios / Islands of Adventure.

1. Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit roller coaster - Before take off, you select a song to listen to from the speakers in your seat while riding. There are about 30 songs across five genres. Motley Crue's 'Kickstart My Heart' is THE perfect song for this ride. The song's intro with a car revving through its gears goes right along with the coaster going straight up 167 feet toward the sky. Then, as you're going down the hills and through the loops at 65 MPH, the "Whoa! Yeah! Baby!" are perfect--exactly what you're thinking. If Hollywood Studios can have an Aerosmith roller coaster, Universal Studios can team up with Motley Crue!

2. Mel's Diner - $14.59 for hamburgers and chicken sandwiches. Cost us $71 for lunch for four at a non-sit-down restaurant! I guess Mel has to pay for his fancy antique cars sitting out front. Here's a little tip, don't buy bottles of water at Mel's. They are $5 at Mel's, but only $3.50 at the drink kiosks.

3. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Wow, the planning and execution of the set design really make you feel you are transported to Hogsmeade / Diagon Alley. Waiting in line inside of Gringotts for the Escape from Gringotts ride or inside the castle for the Forbidden Journey ride are just breathtaking, with all the cool things to see. BIG disappointment was Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure ride was down for most of the day when we were planning to ride. I feel Disney doesn't have these ride closures as often. E.T. ride was also down for part of that same day.

Agree with your feedback. We are new seasonal pass holders and looking so forward to heading back to Universal in early December. Couple of things to add:

1) That is a great ride and agree on the tune played:) The other coasters that are well worth it: Incredible Hulk (all time favorite), new velocicoaster is incredible, Hagrid's motorbike ride is fantastic and worth the wait, and the Mummy ride is still a blast. There are other rides that are certainly fun too...all repeatedly... especially with express pass ;)
2) yeah food is expensive and expected within the parks. We really enjoyed The Leaky Cauldron menu (although typically a good wait) and the Mythos restaurant is really good food too. Some really good Adult beverage stops as well. Bring water if you can to save some $$
3) Yes.. very impressive at both Harry Potter areas with a short train ride between the locations. Both areas are truly the highlight experience of the parks and so well done... and especially beautiful at night. In fact Universal parks take on a much different feel at night (and a really good experience) :)

Universal Studios overall is our favorite experience (our kids are adults now) and we look so forward to the Dec timeframe. Hope that they plan to expand the Jurassic park (world) area at some point. And Epic Universal is coming as another option. Although will check out the Disney parks again. You can not go wrong staying/visiting any of the parks :)

Thank you for your thoughts. I avoid Mel's I went once and found it disappointing. I prefer Leaky Cauldron and any other place.

Glad you had a good time

It seems you found your jam for Rip Ride Rockit, but next time be sure to explore the secret song list as well…

It seems you found your jam for Rip Ride Rockit, but next time be sure to explore the secret song list as well…

Intriguing... :)

I haven't ridden Rip Ride Rockit much (first time was when I decided that since it was my 40th, I was doing all the rides, regardless of how scared I was...I was very scared lol. Sabotage is my song of choice!

Intriguing... :)

I haven't ridden Rip Ride Rockit much (first time was when I decided that since it was my 40th, I was doing all the rides, regardless of how scared I was...I was very scared lol. Sabotage is my song of choice!

I have only been to UOR once, last June, and it was just DH and I so we skipped RRR. We're going back in October with 2 of our kids, so we'll probably be forced to go on with them. I have already decided Sabotage will be my song! LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter