• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My T-shirt trip report

julia & nicks mom

<font color=darkorchid>Bad influence on the Tag Fa
T-shirt tips

How sad am I?

Since I get asked these questions a lot – I decided to write a t-shirt report –

After actually executing a shirt plan and washing and wearing them for a week at WDW I have a lot of tips and will show you the designs – the shirt and someone wearing the shirt (all of the pictures of the shirts are either after they had been worn - as evidenced by the mickey bar chocolate on them!!! or had been washed)

I did notice that the more solid a design was - e.g. a lot of black - the harder it was to transfer and ended up with some spots on the design

The shirts that go the best reactions were those that were personalized and clearly not bought at WDW –

I would not use any other transfer paper except this:

http://stores.ebay.com/Heat-Transfer-Supplies

I tried a lot of brands and this is by far the best and held up the best

The dark transfer paper held up the best – if you have a design that you can easily trim – I definitely recommend the dark transfer paper

For the adult shirts – I made the design as big as I could for my printer. – I recommend that you import the jpeg files into word and then size and print them from there – that is how I was happiest with my print quality

For the 8 - teen shirts – I made the designs about 9 inches tall - this was a great size for their shirts

For the toddler to 7 year old shirts – I made the design about 8 inches tall

And the baby shirts – up to 3t – I made them 5x7

I ironed directly on my kitchen island – it is Formica. I didn’t put anything under the shirts – I found any extra fabric left the possibility for lumps that would hurt the transfer. I rotated around my island as I ironed so that one area would not get too hot – I found once it was really hot – it seemed to confuse the transfer and it didn’t know where to stick – the shirt or the paper

Do not iron on your wood table:
Summer2005653.jpg

My attempt at a front and back failed – I tried to put it on my pizza stone but it is well loved and not conducive to an ironing situation. If I were doing it again – I would probably go ahead and iron a back on my ironing board.

Make sure you wait until the paper cools before you peel – your quality will be much better

When preparing your shirts – wash them without fabric softener

After you have made them – wash them inside out – I do not recommend washing them in between applying your transfer and the first time you wear them. Although I found that I could wear most of mine again – some of them for whatever reason did not agree with the washer and/or dryer

I found the 100% cotton tees accepted the shirt best – but the 50/50 blends worked out well too. Any shirts that were stretchy or had spandex did not work well at all – I do not recommend these.

I love the fact that not only do we get to see how nice your shirts came out, but we also get to see how messy your kids are.............:rotfl:

They all turned out great! I love the Mary Poppins one.

You really go above and beyond! I am getting ready to do my Tee's and this information is just awesome!

When you get a chance, can you add places to buy the blank tee shirts? Or maybe others can we share it in this post?

Thanks for all the hard work !!!!!!!

YOU ROCK!!!!!!!

Those are great, Kate! How was the light Ebay paper? I have 20 of each type for our trip. Do you have a picture of Julia and Nick in their Princess and Toy Story shirts? And the name ones really look good. I see why the Figment got attentions. It stands out on the purple. Rees will like the Meg (or as he says "Megan") from Hercules (he's picked Herc for Halloween). Maybe we could start a little internet romance between them? :rotfl:

Is this stuff any good? "Commercial GRADE DYE SUBLIMATION Heat Transfer Paper"

And what about high gloss? Which kind have you used?

Awesome tshirt report! I hope Baloo can link this thread to the Design tips thread and put the tshirt photos in the photo thread! They are really great!!

Kate, thanks for taking the time to put all this together! Everything turned out great! :goodvibes

Great shirts Kate - you did an excellent job - and yes your kids are messy - I love that one of Nick completely missing his mouth with his spoon :0)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter