My PTR-3 generations of woman-THE 3 P's do WDW!

Dizneydaz

DIS Veteran
Do what does the title mean?

As usual, this trips cast of characters will be my DM71, DD11, and myself, DM51. We have gone together now for about 13 trips, since DD was almost 3. Most of them being just the 3 of us. Once we were a group of 6 females (2 Dsis, DM, DD, DNiece, and myself), twice it was the 3 of us and my Dsis and DNiece,

My DM71 is the first P-P is for post-menopausal. My DD11 is the 3rd P-P is for puberty, and I'm the middle P-P is for peri-menopausal.
I had my first hot flashes about a month ago, for about a week, and haven’t had any since) :scared1:; my DM is postmenopausal but has had hot flashes for years now; and my DD is starting puberty and will break out in tears sometimes crying “I hate hormones!” :eek: It’s a good thing we don’t have any males on this trip. I don’t think they would stand a chance! :confused3

So why a Pre Trip Report? Hmmm, I’ve done one of these before and enjoyed it so today I decided to do it again for our upcoming trip. Why today, you may ask? Because as of last Friday (8/13) I finally have confirmed our travel plans and know when we are really going. :wizard:This decision has been up in the air for months now. Reasons why will be clear in future postings.

I run one of the original POP fridge swaps and today I posted on that thread that I had finally made my dates firm and released the remaining dates in September I was holding for myself. (9/8 to 9/27 now taking names). As you can imagine I am getting a lot of requests for those dates.

Usually PTRs start off with a quick bio on the cast but I tend to run on and on on my bios. So, here’s just a quick intro with more to follow- (SEE POST #8 for more info-thanks!)

My DD, now 10 but turning 11 just before we go. She’s had many birthday celebrations at WDW already. She's the one starting puberty! :hug:

My DM, also celebrating a birthday just before we go. She’ll be turning 71 on 9/22. We’ve also celebrated many of her birthdays at WDW. She's the post-menopausal one. :sad2:

Me, 51, single mom and a total Disney girl. I love going to WDW and really love the planning part. 4 years ago I started running of the original fridge swaps at POP and it continues on to this day. Who knew it would still be happening 4 years later? I’ve helped almost 200 families save a little money at WDW. I have also run (when they were allowed on the boards) many Photopass CD shares. I love to take pictures, expect to see many. I'm the peri-menopausal one! :rolleyes:

I hope by coming along with me on our short Pre-trip journey you will be entertained, learn some tips on how to save some time and money, and be interested enough to read my TR after we get back.

Important Info:

Arriving at POP on 9/27 and leaving 10/4.
Arriving in Florida on 9/24.
Flying Southwest from ONT. Going thru Vegas on the way there for the first time. Usually do PHX or ALB.
Renting a car from National-Love Emerald Aisle!;)
Visiting Gulf Coast beaches before we do WDW.
Tuesday 9/28 Returning to Discovery Cove. :cloud9:First and only visit was 3 years ago.
Not doing Universal this year even though Harry Potter is one of DD’s favorite book series. :sad2:
Maybe next year when all the hoopla has died down?:wizard:

Hello! I am totally on board with this one, you are right, any menfolk wouldn't stand a chance. I wonder if you shouldn't make a note on your ressie not to even have any in neighboring rooms?:confused3 Anyway, I am all for Mother Daughter Granddaughter trips. I am already warning my daughters that they need to take me with them whenever they take their children to Disney. Oh, they are still teens, but I like to set the record straight early!:hippie: I can't wait to hear more about your plans!

Sorry I've been away so long. Life interrupted.

Actually I've spent most of my time online lately dealing with my POP fridge swap. When this all started in August 2006 (yes, 4 YEARS AGO!) I never expected it to last so long. :confused3 It is unbelievable to me that we are still going strong. We have gone through several replacements fridges and even survived the Volcano earlier this year that threatened to sink us!

Also, DD's GS Troop had their Camporee last weekend and DD and I had our first campout! That's right, I have never gone camping, or slept in a tent before. DD has, but only a brief overnighter when fishing with my DSis. We had a wonderful time and I will post some pictures soon, promise!

Since my DD's school changed from year round to traditional a few months back I wasn't sure when we were going to go.:confused3 I had blocked out a large portion of Sept. 2010 on my swap just in case we were going to be able to go. Then it looked like it wasn't going to happen. :confused: As you can imagine this was devastating to DD and myself. I blocked out my dates back in the fall of last year. Then I started to worry that if we did go I wouldn't even be able to use my own fridge!:scared1:

My DM71, kept saying she didn't want to go back in Sept. Maybe October would be better. Devious little me, I pointed out to her that room rates went up on Oct. 1, most likely due to F&W at EPCOT and the parks would most likely be more crowded.

When the free DDP was announced again this year in April, I think, I didn't even bring it up. I did check periodically to see what days in Sept/early Oct. were available at POP. As time went on, I was finding less and less openings. :eek:

Around the end of July I started to seriously look at the best time to go. I considered DD's school calendar, my DSis' work schedule since my DM, other DSis, and I watch her DS20mo. M-F while she's at work, SW flights (meaning when was the cheapest we could fly, and a few other things. Knowing that I could book our package with only the $200 deposit, which is fully refundable as long as I cancelled it more than 45 days out, and that by using my DV for the deposit it wouldn't be due for 6 months I finally went ahead and booked our room package, online, for Sept. 27th to Oct. 6th.

I went back and forth on whether to book the free DDP or book the room only with the discount. (30%). I looked at the numbers and decided that since part of our trip was in Oct. and therefore the discount didn't apply and by purchasing 3-2 day base tickets (about $170 each, total $540) we would basically not have to really spend any additional money on food (Except for the mini donuts at BB and TL-we have to get those! DD's fav.:cloud9:) Also, while we may not use the 2 day tickets this year, we can save them for another time to upgrade to 10 days, PH, non-expiring, +++.

I didn't tell my DM when I booked the trip. :rolleyes: I know my DM and the best way to handle our trips to WDW is to let her come up with the question on her own (did you already book our trip to WDW?) and go from there. That way it looks like she as some say in it.:rotfl2:

As my 45 day mark rapidly approached for canceling or making changes, I seriously started looking at SW fares. But they were still a little high for me. Then, thank my lucky stars ;), the started to go down.! Yippee! I could get from MCO to ONT (Ontario, CA) for as little as $129 each. And ONT to MCO was $149. It was time to look at our timing seriously now.

Time to see if I could get my DM to start asking me about the trip. Could I do it in a timely manner? Could I get it to look like she was getting what she wanted? Stay tuned.....

Also, what did I just book that has DD and myself super excited?

Okay so here's what DD and I are super duper excited about. :goodvibes We are going to Discovery Cove! :cloud9:

My DD, DM, DSis, and I went to Discovery Cove 3 years ago. We figured it was a once in a life time thing. 3 years ago it cost DD and myself $229 (inc. $50 AMEX gift card back) to do the Dolphin Experience and DM and Dsis paid $179 for the non-dolphin one. So it was $460 for just DD and myself!

Last year I checked but I couldn't find a discount using AMEX. :sad2:

Flash forward to this year. I saw a thread talking about the AMEX discount being $50 off each ticket! I checked on the DC website and found out that prices have gone down since 3 years ago, substantially. With the AMEX discount we could go for as little as $149/dolphin and $79/non-dolphin. I couldn't book it until I knew for sure what days we were going. Once I knew our trip was 9/24 to 10/4 I checked the DC calendar and the best day for us to go this year is on Tuesday, Sept. 28th. The price goes up $50 on the 29th. So this year it is only $298 for DD and I vs. the $460 it was just 3 years ago. A savings of over $160. Plus my DM is saving $100 on her non-dolphin experience.;)

I was already to book it about a week ago but then I couldn't find my AMEX card. :scared1: I had taken it out of my purse since I don't use it very often and had put it somewhere. Now where could it be? I finally found it a few days ago and booked our trip on Aug. 31st.

WE ARE GOING BACK TO DISCOVERY COVE! I absolutely love this park! We had the best time there 3 years ago. You get to swim with fish, feed rays from inside their pool, and swim with dolphins. And you can have all the food you can eat and most drinks (except for frozen adult beverages) are inclusive. It's like having the DDP but even better. The food was very good! I can't wait to have the lobster salad again! :cloud9: I can forgive them for not serving Coke products. I just have to drink ice teas. I wish I was more of an adult beverage drinker but I'm really not. Last time my DM and I tried a few of the wine coolers and they weren't bad, I just don't like the taste of most wines. And beer, blech!:sick:

I just love being able to tell DD that she can have whatever snack food she wants, and as much as she wants. It's kid (and adult) heaven. :cloud9:

Here are some pictures from our trip in 2007.

stormcomingincoralreef_2702-1.jpg

11Dinraypool-_015.jpg

DD8 feeding the rays from in the pool.

threebigrays_2721.jpg

3 huge rays resting on the shelf in the coral reef.

TL9-11raysinsharkreef5539.jpg

more rays

lunchmenu_2616.jpg

what's for lunch?

cobbsalad_2663.jpg

This cobb salad was really good!

lunch_2662.jpg

Here's our lunch. See the lobster salad with the croissant? Yum!

Veatinglunch_2664.jpg

My Dsis

Dinbreakfastline_2617.jpg

DD in line for continental breakfast

lunchdisplay_2656.jpg

Lunch display

dessertedbeach_2720.jpg

View of dessert beach when we all had to leave the area due to an incoming storm! Good news, the storm never made it to us and they reopened the park and stayed open later.:woohoo:

meonCJ_2647editted.jpg

Me with CJ

DridingCJ_2646edittedcropped.jpg

DD riding CJ:hug:

I know the earlier you get there the earlier you get to do the dolphins but I'm thinking this time I would like to do the dolphins later in the day. Last time I think we missed out on the full aviary experience. By the time we did it the birds must have been full. Very few came to us. I saw on Kate Plus Eight that if you get there pretty early the birds will be all over you!

So that's my update for today...

More to come...Including how did I make/save $60 yesterday for our trip?

I am so happy for you!!!:banana::woohoo: on DC and saving such a bundle!!! I am trying to work it into my schedule for next year but the prices are still a little :scared1:. I am sure you will have the best time!:cloud9:

Okay, so how did I save/make another $60 for our upcoming trip?

$50 was easy. A few weeks ago I read this thread
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2526007
about getting Disney Visa Rewards credits just for asking. I got my DV card when they first came out and the only thing I got for joining was a commemorative pin! :confused3 I talked my DM iinto getting one a few years ago and she got $50. My DSis just recently joined and she got the free $200! So unfair. Based on the above thread I wrote to Chase and in less than 24 hours I was awarded $50 rewards dollars. Not the $200 I was hoping for but better than nothing, right? Quickest $50 I every made.

I ordered my DV rewards card almost 2 week ago (before I got the extra $50) and it just came yesterday. So now I will go online to get my free $50 transferred to my new Rewards Card. Yippee!

RENTAL CAR
It's really more than $10. It is really $66! See below.

We always rent a vehicle when we go to WDW. It's a must for traveling outside of the WDW area and great for saving money by being able to shop off site!

We have been renting from Alamo for years now. I love how Alamo works! You don't have to use a credit card to reserve your car. You can cancel your ressie at anytime. I check rates frequently and when they fall (as they usually do) I will rebook at the better rate and then cancel the first one.

Also, Alamo has a Kiosk at MCO for checking in-a great time saver. You just have to check in online before you leave home and then use the same credit card in the kiosk. Your paperwork will print out and then all you have to do is go to the parking garage and pick out any car you want in your car class!-That's right, any car. In previous years we have rented a minivan and been able to pick out some really nice minivans. Built in DVD players, etc. However, in recent years the bells and whistles have mostly disappeared and the prices for minivans has gone sky high!

So last year I booked a intermediate car form Alamo for a pretty good rate. I believe I used a Entertainment Code as well as one from Mousesavers. We were there 11 days and we paid less than $200.

Only problem is when we got there there was only one intermediate car in the Alamo section. It was a basic white car and I really didn't want to get it. There were quite a lot of people wandering around on the lot looking for the same size car. My DM overhead one talking to an employee and he told them to take any car they wanted. Hmmm, what's this?:confused3

So I tracked down the same guy and he said we could take any car from the Emerald Aisle in the National Section. I said, "Any car?", yes! He made a notation on my paperwork and said to show it to the person at the booth. WOW! So we checked out the cars there and picked out a beautiful Buick Enclave. This car was gorgeous! The dashboard looked like the cockpit of a airplane! And after we had it for a few days I realized we had a back up camera that showed up in the rearview mirror and, the coolest thing ever, remote car starting! I can't tell you how excited I was when we discovered this feature! It sure came in handy being able to start the car (and the Air conditioning) as soon as we were close enough for the remote to work! It was a blessing in the afternoon, especially in the parking lot at AK which always seems to be the hottest place in WDW.

Here's a few pix of the car when we dropped it off at MCO
105_4136.jpg
Day9.jpg

Check out DD's cool bag! She used some of her free birthday money (Remember the Free Birthday promotion last year?) to buy this. She got a lot of compliments on this bag when we returned home.

Flash Forward to this year.

I made a ressie with Alamo on 8/14 for a full size car for 10 full days for $243 (complete) using $40 off coupon for Entertainment. A good rate, but not a great rate. I knew I could do better. And I have.

I was looking on Mousesavers.com for car rental coupons and looked at National. National and Alamo are sister companies which is why we got a National car last year even though we booked Alamo.

Mousesavers has a link to join the National Emerald Club for free (normally $50). If you join the club you will be able to pick out any car from the Emerald Aisle as long as you book a mid-size car! (Which is basically what happened to us last year though we didn't know it). So I joined the club and booked a mid-size car on Aug. 24th for $204/complete. Pretty good, I've now saved almost $40 on my rental! But could I do better!

Yes I CAN!

Checked back on 8/31 and rebooked for $187 but this time I included a cool option I found for a Toll Pass Service thing. Only $6 for the entire time and I won't have to hassle with having money ready for the toll booths. Really nice when it's raining! We have a few toll roads in our area and I have a transponder for those. It sounds like a great tool to have. They will add the toll charges to my final amount. So now I have saved another $17 but inc. $6 for the Toll Pass Service. (so really $23) Total now saved since first ressie, $56 (plus $6)

But is that the best I can do...NO!
Rebooked on 9/1 (one day later) for just under $177 (inc Toll Pass). Another $10 off. (That's the $10 I previously mentioned). But in reality I have now SAVED a total of $66 plus $6 for the Toll Pass Service. A GRAND TOTAL OF $72 SAVED.

I have been checking almost daily but the rates have started back up. I will continue to check up until the day before we leave. In the past I have had rates drop even on the last few days.

So just on the car rental and my DV credit, I have saved $122! so far.

If you will renting a car, you will save money if you keep checking rental rates. I've done it every year and every year I have saved money, sometimes more than $100!

I hope we get another really cool car! I would love to have remote start again. Also, I always check to see how many miles the cars have and we usually end up getting one with low miles. Last year we were the first ones renting that car.

Oh, and here's a hint I learned the hard way. Sometimes the car companies but an extra set of keys (and remotes) in the back in one of the storage compartments. I have found them usually in a side compartment, not the easy to access trunk like area. This is also where you will find the manual which is very helpful when you want to use all the cool things the car has. If there's a spare set of keys take them out and have someone else carry them. You'll never had to pay for lock out service.:goodvibes

I should have done this part at the beginning, but here it goes...

Our cast of characters!

Here goes, let me introduce the cast..

DD 11 on trip

107_5260.jpg
1324Danielleinwaterfall20074x6.jpg

My DD10, Danielle, turning 11 just a few days before our trip. She is my only child and the best thing that could have happened to me. She’s adopted. My daughter by choice, my biological niece by birth. She is small for her age which she absolutely hates! (Don’t ever call her little!) She is almost 4’-5”. She finally was tall enough late last year to ride Maliboomer at DCA (which is sadly closed permanently Sept. 7, 2010, we would it a couple times on Sept. 3rd.). She is a voracious reader and would rather read than almost do anything. She started 6th grade (Yikes!) in August. Last year she got a special award for having the most AR points, ever, at her school, and maybe even in the district. She reached 647% of her AR goal. Her reading comprehension tops out at 12.9 (which is the highest level the test in elementary school). She has got straight A’s in 4th and 5th grade. Oh, and don’t think all she does is school work. She is also in softball. She does well at 2nd base but this year she wants to try 1st. We will miss 1 winter ball games this season due to our trip. She’s also in Girl Scouts and bridged over from Junior to Cadette this weekend. Our first Camporee is in less than 2 weeks.

I’m mentioning how well she does in school to justify why I am taking her out of school for about 1-1/2 weeks, for the first time. Our school district, made the decision a few months ago to change most of our schools from year round (Yeah!) to traditional (Boo!). So, we had planned on going back to WDW in Sept. like we have done for the past 6 years. Thanks to the district’s change I really had to think a lot about having her miss school. I decided that with her grades, and the fact that next year she’ll be in 7th grade next year (which will be harder for her to miss school) that this may be the last year we can go in the Fall, so what if she missed a little school-she can do independent study, right? Both her principal and teacher said it's okay.

DD is a very loving child and is great with hugs and kisses. :love:She is however, starting to enter puberty and has her occasional moody times. Also, she can be sassy at times. We are working in this. That and the rolling of the eyes!:laughing:

DD has been an only child for most of her life, but in Dec 09 my brother, once again, had a child he and his wife couldn’t raise. Benjamin came to live with us in early Jan. My DM and I were his foster parents. My younger DSis adopted him earlier this year but since she works we watch B, M-F, from about 3 a.m. to 2 p.m. So 5 days a week, my DD has a little brother in the house. At first she was very excited about having a little brother, but she quickly became jealous over the amount of attention he received.:sad1: Now that he’s more active, she enjoys playing with him and is very good with him.:cloud9: But, she still doesn’t like all the attention he gets.

My DM (or DGM) 71 on trip

21mom21_005.jpg

This is from 3 years ago. Does she look 68 to you?

The second member of our cast is my DM70, Anita. She’ll be turning 71 right before we get there (9-22). About 10 years ago my DM and I decided to move in together (I had been living on my own for almost 20 years) so we could raise DD together. My DM and I get along pretty well. Never fight, rarely raise our voices (and if we do, DD gets very upset!). My DM has gone on every trip we’ve made to WDW since 1998. She is a very young 70 y/o and I frequently forgot about how old she really is! We had a breast cancer scare about 7 years ago but she came through that great and has been cancer free for over 6 years! We celebrated her treatment being over by going to WDW in Dec. 2003. My DM and my dad divorced over 34 years ago and she basically finished raising the 4 of us. (3 girls and 1 boy). My dad really wasn’t part of the picture much after that-his decision. He passed away before my DD was born. I wish he had met her.

My DM is happy to let me do all the planning on our trips. :cloud9:

ME

Photo0369.jpg

Me, 51. As mentioned before, my DD was born when I was 40. I figured by then I wouldn’t get to be a mom. But luckily this all changed. She is such a joy for me. I can’t imagine my life without her.:lovestruc

My main profession is room additional designer. Work has been slow lately so I also worked for the Census this year. Finished with the Census a few weeks ago and may need to find a regular job when we get back from WDW.

One of my favorite things to do is organize our trips. So is saving money. I book all of our trip details online. I am always looking for a bargain. I have been running a fridge swap at POP for 4 years now. I never expected this to last so long! I will be using the fridge for the 5th time in just about 2 weeks. I also have run quite a few PP CD shares (no longer allowed on the disboards). My last CD share got so big that I split it into 4 different shares, just to make it easier to handle. Since we live close to DLR I am able to combine my WDW trips with DLR ones and I get my CD for $59.95 that way. (Did I mention how much I like a bargain?)

Here are some pictures of us. If you see us around WDW, please say hi! So far I have had 2 disboarders seek us out. One family we ran into 3 years ago at Bomas. She recognized me from my posts. And last year we were eating at PF and another disboarder was there as well. He was celebrating his birthday-same as my DD's.

516.jpg

0075DanielleIhitbywave-autoenhanced.jpg

Love taking pictures like this at Typhoon Lagoon! That's why I'm running another CD share with my friends! You can't take pictures like this yourself!;)
Daniellezinced_2625.jpg

7Mewithzinc-_019.jpg

DD and I at Discovery Cove 3 years ago.
Image425.jpg

0155Daniellelightsaberyear.jpg

My little Hambone!;)
image239.jpg

Always have your pix taken with the Incredibles. They make everyone look smaller!;)
image186.jpg

Minnie is so scary!:rotfl2:

Loved reading your PTR. Heading to Disney for the first time as a family in Nov. I'm getting addicted to reading these reports!! I need to check on the visa deal since I already have a card. I told my sis to sign up for one and she got her $100 and $100 for DH. Maybe she'll share!

Michal

I love your story.... I think it is great that you and your dm and dd are going. We just got back. My mom...she is WAY older than your mom. (not literally..she too just turned 71 on 8/25) She did pretty well on the trip, but I think that another one would be too much for her. Who knows though...

Anyway, I can't wait to hear how your trip goes...

Been meaning to post for a few days but have been busier than normal. Here's why:

1. I finally took in another project (for work). I'm working on some remodeling designs for a client in Newport Beach. YEAH! Just in time for vacation. Just hope I can get a deposit check before I leave in 8 days!
2. Had Jury Duty today! :confused3 Luckily the entire panel of 113 potential jurors were released but not until we had spent about 3 1/2 hours waiting for the lawyers to work some things out. We think they made a plea bargain deal. all I know is I won't get called in for another year. They seem to call me in every 12-13 months. Usually when I already have a trip to WDW planned!
3. DD's birthday is this Sunday. She's turning 11. ;) We are having a party on Saturday with her friends and another one on Sunday with the family. Saturday's party is "Minute To Win It!" and I've been figuring out which games they'll be playing.

She invited 22 friends and as of Monday we hadn't gotten a single firm RSVP! What is it with parents these days? I:headache: had to send out some emails asking parents if their kids were going. What's up with that?:confused3 Anyway turns out quite a few kids can't make it due to their own busy schedules but we have about 10 confirmed and I'm sure they'll be a few more RSVPs coming in the next 24 hours or so.

Before her party she has a softball game so I need to get as much as I can done by tomorrow night. Problem is I really wanted to go to Disneyland once, or twice, before we go to WDW. Friday would be a good night to go. One reason I want to go is I have several of the DV Free Photopass coupons that expire on 10/3/10, while we are at WDW. I would like to use up some of them before go. Plus any PP pix taken will be inc. on my DLR and WDW CD. :woohoo:

Maybe I can convince my DM71 to go to DLR for a short visit on her birthday on Wed., the 22nd? I figure DD10 can skip her softball practice on Wed. since she won't be at the game on Saturday (we'll be in FLORIDA!). She also has a Girl Scout meeting on the 22nd. They're not doing anything though that she can't miss. I'll wait until my DM feels a little better to ask her. Right now she has a little bit of the cold DD and I are still getting over.

4. I promised myself that this year I will not be packing,etc. late into the night before our flight. Since we are leaving ONT at 6 a.m. I want to try to get a little sleep beforehand. I'm usually up until 3 or so on the morning we fly out. Just too excited!

That's it for now, time to bake some cupcakes for Saturday. Check out the cool cupcakes I'm planning on making.
http://family.go.com/disney/pkg-disney-recipes/recipe-649266-hoot-owl-cupcakes-t/
DD is really into the whole "Guardians of the Ga'Hoole" series (about owls) and she will be so excited when she sees these on Saturday! Oh, and since the movie based on this series opens on 9/24, the day we leave, I expect we will be catching a movie while we are in Florida. It'll be the first time we've done that. If we don't do it while we are in the Bradenton/Sarasota area, I'm thinking we'll catch it at DTD. Ohhh, we could sneak in some of our SC Snacks!

COOL! I just checked out the AMC theater site for DTD (Pleasure Island) and they have the same deal of all shows before noon being only $6. Such a great deal!

Good morning all!

Today starts DD's birthday weekend! She turns 11 on Sunday and we have a busy weekend planned. Softball Sat. 11 a.m., Party #1 3-6 p.m. on Saturday, and family party 3 p.m. on Sunday.

So here's what I need to do today:

1.Decorate cupcakes (baked yesterday) to look like owls. I need to find one more item to make the eyes. I want to use white Necco wafers but haven't found them yet. If I can't find them I'll use white chocolate wafers but I'll probably melt them down and make new ones (not as thick). I need to finish the cupcakes while DD's at school.

2.Go to Michaels and see if they sell black tote bags for DD's birthday present. I bought a set of 3 at WM the other day in hot, bright colors but I really want black and/or white. DD is REALLY into the TV show, CASTLE. I mean it's a serious addiction. She mentioned to me that there is Castle merchandise for sale online. I checked it out and it's a little pricey so...I am going to make her some of her own Castle stuff. A tote (or maybe 2) with "WRITER" on it. Maybe the 2nd one will say "READER". I also would like to make her a shirt with "WRITER" on it as well.

If you aren't familiar with Castle it's about a mystery writer (Rick Castle) who has teamed up with a NY Detective (Kate Beckett) to get ideas for his stories. He has a bullet proof vest that says "WRITER" on it and DD thinks that is so cool! She has such a crush on Castle, I can get her to blush really easy buy just mentioning his name!:laughing:

Also I need to pick up some tye-dye (blues, greens) for the shirts I'm making for our trip. I've already prepped the shirts, I just need the dye. I may decide to use Ritt Dye as it looks pretty easy (and cheaper!)

3. Make DD's Castle presents (before Sunday for sure!)

4. Get all prep work done for Minute to Win it games. I've already prepped wto large bottles to use as Buckets for the Bucket Head game. Need to buy some ping pong balls. Couldn't find them the other day at WM. I know they are there, I just need to find them.

5. Get hair cut @ 2:00

6. Order DD's cake for Sunday. She wants one she say at WM the other day.

7. Order pizzas for tomorrow's party. I'm thinking 3-4 should do it.

8. Get plates. I'm thinking of making them look like stopwatches with some Sharpies. Only if I have time, of course.

9. So much more, just can't think right now!:confused3

Okay, one thing done. Owl cupcakes. They came out so cute (If I say so myself!)

Here's 4 of the 14 I made
108_5214.jpg

I made a few adjustments from the recipe I posted the link to above. I didn't want to use white chocolate wafers and I couldn't find Necco wafers to use so I made up a quick batch of fondant (It's really very easy!) I quartered a recipe I found on allrecipes.com. The aren't many ingredients-

Ingredients

* 1 cup light corn syrup
* 1 cup shortening
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
* 2 pounds confectioners' sugar

This makes approx. 3 lbs. which is why I quartered it. 1/4 c. corn syrup and Crisco shortening. Dash salt, splash of clear vanilla. About 1/2 pd. powdered sugar. If you don't have clear vanilla (I don since I have a lot of cake making supplies) then you can skip the flavoring all together or substitute almond. Since you'll only be using a small amount on each cupcake, the flavor isn't that important.

After mixing the fondant in my mixer I rolled out a small long about the thickness of a regular size Tootsie Roll. Cut off pieces a little less than 1/4" and rolled them into small balls. About the size of small marbles. After I put the caramel circles on the cupcake I put a small amount of frosting on top and then put on my fondant (slightly smashed) balls and squished them a little more. I then pushed in the chocolate chip. Very easy to do.

The recipe called for butercream frosting but I used chocolate (purchased) instead. Also the recipe says to frost about 1/3 of the cupcake. It works better if you frost 1/2 to 2/3 of the cake.

My DSis has made these before using Oreos and banana Runts but these came out so much cuter! She even agrees!

Add one more thing to do to my list.-Buy Vanilla ice cream and pre-scoop if I have time.

Oh my goodness! I got tired just from reading your list!:worship::worship: You definately get the "Best Mom" award!!:cheer2: I am sure that if you have the energy to update on Monday, you will be telling us about how wonderful everything turned out. Kudos to you!!!:banana: Happy Birthday for DD!

Oh my goodness! I got tired just from reading your list!:worship::worship: You definately get the "Best Mom" award!!:cheer2: I am sure that if you have the energy to update on Monday, you will be telling us about how wonderful everything turned out. Kudos to you!!!:banana: Happy Birthday for DD!

Thanks Deb! :hug:

And in keeping with my PTR theme I just checked in online to POP! We will be there in 10 days! :cloud9: Now all I have to do is remember to send a room request 4 days before arrival to request a particular building/floor. The last few years we have been in the 50's building (Tramp of Lady and the Tramp side), 3rd floor, facing the lake. It's such a nice location. Close enough to the bowling pin pool, not too far to walk to food court, and plenty of close by parking. I have to figure out if we want to stay in the same location or try a new one. I really like being able to look out over the lake in the a.m. and it also has a view of the MK and EPCOT fireworks. Though they are fairly fair away. I'm going to look at the POP map and see if there's another building we could try that's still close to the food court but also overlooking the lake. Also, not too far from the parking lot.

Check off another thing done...Hair Cut. CHECK!

ADDED-Just checked POP's map and it looks like I'll be asking for the 50's building again. But I'll ask for a room in the Jukebox building, upper floor, facing the lake. I would ask for the 70's building but it's a little farther to the parking lot and there's no pool. The 80's and 90's are closer to a pool, but no lake view and further from the food court.

The party was a great success! The kids all seemed to have a great time. Only problem was we ran out of time before we did all the games. What with a few kids coming late and then some more leaving a little early things got a little hectic. also, some of the games took awhile, especially if each player got a minute.

I will post more later, just taking a break from moving our old fridge to the garage! Now we have 2 fridges in the garage and in a little while we are getting my Dsis' old fridge (but newer than ours). Hers is a little less than 6 years old and ours is 9. Plus hers is bigger than ours and it's one of those french armoire styles. So exciting! (funny how even the littlest things make us happy!) My younger DSis works at one of the big box stores and she hooked my other Dsis up with an awesome new fridge! 27 cu. ft. Stainless. Bottom Freezer. All the bells and whistles!. She got it for $500. It retails for over $2000! Whenever a customer returns an appliance to the store, for any reason, the store will offer a deep discount just to get it gone. If you see an appliance on clearance at one of the big box stores, ask for the manager and offer them less than the price. You never know, they may just take it! That's how my DSis got a $700 SS Bosch dishwasher for $350. The clearance price was $500, she offered $350 and got it. And even better was it was the dishwasher she was planning on buying anyway.:goodvibes

Gotta go now, time to go get the fridge from Dsis and pick up DD's cake for her family birthday party today. :bday:

New fridge is in the Kitchen, old fridge is in the garage. Quick question-why do men make such a big production out of everything? :confused3 When my bro-in-law and his neighbor were both (it took 2 of them to wheel it around) moving the newer fridge in the back yard, around the pool, and up the deck and then into the house why did they have to make like it was such a big effort on their part? Seriously! :confused3 My DM71 and myself moved out the old fridge, by ourselves. That's right, a 71 y/o and a 51 y/o woman moved the fridge with no big deal. In fact, I wheeled the fridge out the back door, turned and went off the deck to the sidewalk, turned it around the 2 corners of the garage and then turned it into the garage. Me, by myself.:laughing: My DM walked along with me just in case the fridge needed a little more effort. We did this without strapping the fridge to the dolly.

My BIL and his neighbor strapped the fridge to the dolly and made a huge deal about going over a hose, up the deck, around other things. ....:confused3.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate them doing it but why make it more of an effort than it is? Does it make them feel better about themselves? This is the reason why even though my BIL is a plumber alot of times if we have a small plumbing issue I will do it myself. He makes such a big deal out of anything he does.

Maybe this is why I'm single? I have found out that I am more than capable of doing a lot of things around the house myself and I get a huge sense of accomplishment from doing them. I have built a beautiful walk-in pantry (My DSis helped with the framing. I built walk-in closet in my DM's bedroom (again DSis helped frame). I built bookshelves in my loft. I put laminate flooring in most of the downstairs of my house. Then I pulled that floor out a few years later and put in tile. About 1000 sq. ft. or so. I also am the one who puts up, and takes down, our above ground pool, every summer.

Sorry, rant over, time to take DD11 to lunch for her birthday. She picked Olive Garden. Yeah. I think I'll have the Soup and Salad. Or maybe the unlimited pasta!

I will post more later. Another party today!

Sounds like a great time was had by all! I hope this week is a little less hectic for you, soon you are off on vacation!!!:banana:

Yep, I figure by the time we take off on Friday, I'll really need a vacation! :goodvibes

One thing we are trying to figure out is should we stay in a hotel very close to the airport Thursday night and then shuttle from there to the airport about 5 a.m. Leaving my car in their parking lot (Stay 'n Fly). Or should we leave our house at 4 in morning, drop off the car at Park 'n Fly, and have them take us to the airport. Staying at a hotel Thursday night will actually cost us a little less than just parking my car for 11 days.

My DM and I are both on the fence about this. My Dsis has done this going to Hawaii from LAX and she loved it. I'm leaning more towards staying near the airport the night before. That way I will have to be packed and ready to leave on Thursday night. Plus we will be able sleep an extra hour before our flight.

What do you think?

My DD and DM actually said they think they would prefer to not sleep in a strange bed the night before we leave. This is pretty funny to me since DD11 has been sleeping on my DM's floor for the past 2 weeks, or so. And we will be sleeping in a strange bed for 11 nights. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter