• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My proud mommy moment

BernardandMissBianca

Rum makes math fun!
So we went to eat Sushi tonight and we haven't been in quite a while since DH has been traveling so much. Now we are accustomed to being a side show of sorts just because we have so many kids and the fact that we have 3 boys and 1 girl. So the boys order sushi, as usual. Well apparently as the food is being served we have drawn the attention to this couple on a date. The next thing I know there is a tap on my arm.

him -Excuse me, can I ask you a question?
me - UH, sure
him - how did you get your kids to eat like that, my boy (age 7) will only eat spaghettios.
me - well with DS10 right out of the gate we started him on veggies first. Then we introduced fruits and other things. Same routine applied for all the kids. We also have a standing rule that you have to try everything once. If you don't like it then you don't have to eat it but you can't just look at it and say no. We also eat out a lot so they like to try new things.
DH - Believe it or not 9 times out of 10 they will choose salad over everything else.
him - :eek:
me - if he won't try it now don't force it but reintroduce the food at a later time. Palates change as the kids age.

Another couple was staring at us from the bar too. We get this a lot, especially at WDW. We had people come up to us all night at Chef Mickey's asking how we got our kids to eat salad and fish. Um, lead by example????

Are my kids really that odd???? Not that I mind, it's does a mommy proud when her boys eat well. DD is the same way, she'll eat it if you do first. We do however wait til they are 4 before introducing raw fish.

I don't know, it's just odd how many people out there find the boys eating habits weird. But it made me proud of them!

Are my kids really that odd???? Not that I mind, it's does a mommy proud when her boys eat well. DD is the same way, she'll eat it if you do first. We do however wait til they are 4 before introducing raw fish.
I wouldn't say odd, but I think it's fantastic!:banana: This coming from a mom who serves nuggets many meals a week!:rolleyes1

I think it's great too!

I had 1 that was a great eater, and 1 that wasn't. I did all the things you did, but this kid just stumped me. So, I let him go, and now he is fine, and his favorite restaurants are japanese, or a buffet, lots of a little of everything ...still no sushi though...however we have a joke at our house...

"I'm from Delaware. Where I come from raw fish is crab bait" :rotfl:

You should be proud, they are great kids. Although I am still miffed ;) at the Princess princess: for zipping over to Grandma rather than letting me fawn all over her.

I asked Buffy's DS 10 what his favorite food was last Monday when we were having lunch, (and yes, her kids eat as she says, he ordered fish that day) he said it was sushi. He must have been thrilled to do sushi this week.

Not only are they good eaters, they are well behaved, equally at ease talking with adults or playing with kids, and smart. I want to do an arranged marriage with her oldest son and my niece!

You should be proud, they are great kids. Although I am still miffed ;) at the Princess princess: for zipping over to Grandma rather than letting me fawn all over her.

I asked Buffy's DS 10 what his favorite food was last Monday when we were having lunch, (and yes, her kids eat as she says, he ordered fish that day) he said it was sushi. He must have been thrilled to do sushi this week.

Not only are they good eaters, they are well behaved, equally at ease talking with adults or playing with kids, and smart. I want to do an arranged marriage with her oldest son and my niece!

Did you know that his meal cost more than everyone elses!!! Including DH's who ordered a beer too.
They were beside themselves. I had to ask DS10 in secret if Go Fish had pasta on the kids menu for DD. And his eyes got as big as saucers!! Then he refused to tell the other 2 where we were going. They were good too. A little fidgety but good.

I'm not knocking anyone that feeds their kids nuggets and cereal. We had friends that did that or their poor son would starve to death!!!

I have one who will eat almost anything once and one who's only food group is chicken. But only "real" chicken. Do NOT give him processed nuggets. He's a Chic-Fil-A kinda boy.

My favorite story about him is... we have these cowboy pillows. One is the black and white hide. Well when he was four he asked me "know what these say" (there is NO writing on them) me "Uh, no" Him "Eat more Chicken!" :rotfl:

My sisters girls prefer sushi and seafood to any other kind of food.

HEY!! Jersey Girl here too...Delaware transplant...but Jersey raised!

:rolleyes1 It's a small world after all :rolleyes1

It is isn't it!! was born in Cape MAy Courthouse and lived there til I was 4. Dad is retired Coast Guard andhe met my mom in NJ while he was stationed in Cape May. We still go back every summer to see Grandma.

It is isn't it!! was born in Cape MAy Courthouse and lived there til I was 4. Dad is retired Coast Guard and mr met my mom in NJ while he was stationed in Cape May. We still go back every summer to see Grandma.

Dh has family in Cape May, and I have family who summer in Avalon (snowbirds in the winter). We were at the Jersey Shore every summer when I was a kid...took me so long to call Delaware shore the "beach" I would say the "shore" and everyone thought it was being :snooty: go figure....

We spent every summer for about 7 years going to Seaside Heights in Jersey. Used to rent an efficiency apartment for the week. It is always called the "shore". The "beach" is always on a lake (or large pond).

i think it's wonderful that they eat like that. my son is a very picky eater. no veggies, except for corn. everything is chicken. we have to tell littlewhite lies......fish sticks=chicken sticks, pork roast=chicken nuggets with no "stuff" on them....meatloaf= mcdonals hamburger just shaped funny "just for you"!!!!

and just a side note, being from rhode island we say it's the beach around here. they are beautiful too!

Hey I am from RI too :goodvibes but I hate hate going to the beach. Its the whole sand thing - yuk.

I have a picky eater but he LOVES veggies - always has. He didnt eat meat until he was almost 5. Such a battle. Now my little guy hates veggies but loves meat. Go figure. I introduced veggies first and the fruit. Both boys love fruit but of course not the same fruit :sad2:

Woo hoo!!!
I did the same thing w/ all my kids.. Veggies first!!!!
Now, DS11 won't eat veggies.. unless they are made a certain way.. He loves Corn puff a Native American dishes.. but won't eat corn any other way... Needless to say.. I make those corn puffs alot!!! :)

Your kids aren't odd.. they are fantastic!!! Especially willing to try new things!!!

Congratulations on your good eaters. Mine are pretty good eaters too (although none of us have ever tried sushi), and we follow pretty much the same steps you do. I often serve the vegetables as an appetizer while I'm fixing dinner -- they love salad, cut up veggies, even frozen peas.

I also think that leading by example is also a help. When my DS was about 18 months old, we went to a baby shower for one of my good friends who is of Colombian descent. My friend's mom made a big batch of homemade guacamole and brought it out. All my friend's nieces and nephews yelled "Guacamole!" and ran to help themselves. So my DS yelled "guacamole" and ran after them. He's loved guac ever since. My DD loves it to and I'm sure she tried it because DS ate it.

Last night we went out to dinner and both kids (6 and 3) were chowing down on French Onion soup. Even I was surprised by that -- I distinctly remember that being a flavor that I "grew into." ;)

I think it is fantastic that your kids love sushi!! I have one picky eater- she doesn't even like most staple kids foods (mac n cheese, hot dogs, etc.). My little guy loves just about anything! He prefers veggies and fruit to anything. Mushrooms, carrots, corn on the cob, peas... he loves them all. He loves Chinese food, Mexican food (the spicier the better). :thumbsup2

We spent every summer for about 7 years going to Seaside Heights in Jersey. Used to rent an efficiency apartment for the week. It is always called the "shore". The "beach" is always on a lake (or large pond).

Are you serious? You went ot Sleazside? I mean Seaside? I grew up in Toms River. I even worked on the boardwalk. I was a local afterall. :)

We called it the beach there, though. I lived less than 6 miles away. Over a bridge, but close nonetheless. We call it the shore now though. No one here knew what I was talking about when I refered to the beach. Funny how that is! :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter