My PO-RS, GF, and BCV Vacation With A Disability…

Janet,

Once again you did a lovely job of remembering our day with your Posting of this trip report. I loved the Pics. It sure was a perfect day.

Cindy,

That was a good photo! Maybe we all can get together again in Oct/Nov 2004 and do another Manatee trip.

Looking forward to our next trip in May 2004!
:Pinkbounc :tongue: :Pinkbounc :tongue:

Thanks again Janet for all of the great details you've shared!

Cindy, that is a very cool picture! ::yes::

Thank you so much for these reports! I am actually glad I found them late so that I could read them throu without having to impatiently wait for each installment especially after your teaser on the dinner. That WAS truly magical. Thank you so much for sharing, I am really, really enjoying your trip!

WeFullTime, what a wonderful photo of a manatee. Wow! Thanks again for such an incredible day. My family and dear friend truly had the most remarkable day.

Nutz4dzny, Pixiechick, & DisneyDreamer2, thanks for your kind words. I apologize for having taken so long to post in this thread. A few life-altering things have popped up recently, thus my absence. But I am bound and determined to finish what I started with this trip report, no matter how long it takes.

With that said, I should be posting about our group dining experience at Disney's Spirit of Aloha dinner show next.

A few life-altering things have popped up recently

I hope everything is okay.:D

I look forward to reading your report on the Spirit of Aloha show. I've heard great things and bad things about it.

:sunny:

When we left the West Coast and headed to Florida on our vacation, my husband forgot to pack an appropriate shirt for Disney’s Spirit of Aloha dinner show. While we were in Crystal River on our manatee-sighting outing, he actually found a shirt for the luau and purchased it (click here). I was impressed with his shopping acumen. After all our years of marriage, I guess there really are times when I can actually dress him up and take him out.

I should also mention that in the months leading up to our vacation, before I had broken my leg, my dear friend and I would hit our favorite shopping mall and peruse anything and everything having to do with our vacation. On one trip we bought resort wear, and on another trip we drooled over Hawaiian jewelry since we had reservations for Disney’s Spirit of Aloha dinner show. She and I were itching to purchase matching “Hawaiian Slipper” pendants from Na Hoku (click here) to wear to the luau, but the pendants that we liked were a little out of our price range so we chose to save our pennies instead for the actual vacation. But she and I decided that one day it would be fun to purchase funky, matching necklaces such as the Hawaiian Slipper in honor of our longstanding friendship.

I didn’t give much thought to the necklace until my dear friend arrived in Orlando. She told me that she had a present for my daughter and me, and that she had purchased the same thing for herself. She said it was a Girlfriends’ present. After she unpacked her suitcase, she pulled out three small gift boxes. She gave one to my daughter, one to me, and kept one for herself. My daughter idolizes my dear friend and she was thrilled that she had received a special gift from her. When my daughter opened her box, her eyes grew as large as saucers. Inside the box was a Hawaiian Slipper necklace. I opened my box and found an identical necklace for myself. My dear friend’s eyes sparkled and she pointed to her neckline. She was wearing her necklace and had worn it all the way from the West Coast. I laughed and gave her a big hug. My daughter and I put our necklaces on and the three of us stood before the mirror admiring our matching jewelry. We looked way cool, and as my daughter would say, “Girls rule and boys drool.” What a perfect, perfect Girlfriends’ gift.

On the ride back to Walt Disney World from Crystal River, Nutz4dzny’s cell phone rang. It was her son calling to let her know that he would be unable to attend the luau due to his college course load. We were all so disappointed to hear that but we understood (after all, we’d been college students ourselves – way back when the dinosaurs roamed the Earth, that is).

Nutz4dzny dropped us off at the Beach Club. She stated that she and her husband would probably be a little late to the luau but not to worry, they would be there. I told her to take their time and just join us at the table whenever they arrived.

There wasn’t much time before the luau began, so everyone quickly showered and changed into their luau attire. We had the Beach Club hail a taxicab for us and we headed over to the Polynesian Resort (click here). Our dinner reservation was for 5:15 PM but we needed to check-in approximately 30 minutes prior to that time.

We arrived at the Polynesian porte cochere exactly on time and made our way through the resort. As we were heading towards the exit door that led to the walkway to Luau Cove, we were stopped by some Polynesian Resort Cast Members who wanted to check us in for the Spirit of Aloha dinner show (click here). In all our years of attending the luau, we had never checked in for the dinner show inside the Polynesian resort. The Cast Members stated they were doing so because it looked like it might rain outside.

Once we were checked in, I told my husband that I didn’t want to wait inside the resort, I wanted to take my chances outside with Mother Nature (the weather didn’t look too ominous). He rolled me outside and down the handicap ramp, and we waited there for Minybear and her husband to arrive.

We weren’t waiting very long before Minybear and her spouse joined us. They wore matching Hawaiian attire, and according to the Ulukau Hawaiian Electronic Library (click here), they looked very “hie”:
hie: n.v.s: Attractive, distinguished, dignified, noble, becoming
Yes, indeed, they looked very hie.

Minybear and her husband had a "makana," or gift, for my daughter:
Makana: nvt. Gift, present; reward, award, donation, prize; to give a gift, donate
It was the mascot named “Daren” (click here) for D.A.R.E. – Drug Abuse Resistance Education (click here for D.A.R.E. website). My daughter loved the makana (gift), and I loved the symbolism (it’s never too early to start drug awareness education). What a perfect gift.

Together the six of us wound our way down to Luau Cove. Since I was in a wheelchair, a Spirit of Aloha Cast Member led our party to the roped off entrance for Luau Cove. It wasn’t long before Nutz4dzny and her husband arrived, and once they did, our dinner party was finally complete.

Right on time, the Spirit of Aloha Cast Members began seating the dinner show guests. When we were led to our table, we found that it was front and center. What a wonderful view of the luau show we would have. I was thrilled. Here are a few photos of some of our happy group members:
Group Photo # 1
Group Photo # 2

No one in our party had seen the luau show since it had changed formats earlier in the year. We were looking forward to seeing how the new show differed from the old one. I have always loved the luau and make no secret of the fact that the male hula dancers’ legs are a big reason for that (after having been married as long as I have, I need at least one thing to make my husband jealous ;) ).

I should mention that just like the old show, when we arrived for this one, we were given silk flower leis. According to the Hawaiian dictionary:
Lei: 1. n. Lei, garland, wreath; necklace of flowers, leaves, shells, ivory, feathers, or paper, given as a symbol of affection; beads; any ornament worn around the head or about the neck
Most folks wear a lei around their neck, while other folks either wear them around their wrist as a bracelet or upon their head as a wreath (click here).

Shortly after we were seated, our server took our drink order. With our drinks in hand, the dinner show began with “Auntie Wini” (click here) taking the stage. She was our hostess for the evening and soon explained that the luau was being held to welcome Leilani back from the mainland.

Auntie Wini was first joined on stage by her nephew Howie, then her niece Scout and the band called the Beach Bashers (click here). Other ‘ohana (click here) soon took the stage. For those of you who don’t know what ‘ohana means, here is the Hawaiian definition:
‘ohana: 1. n.v.s Family, relative, kin group; related. ‘Ohana holo’oko’a, ‘ohana nui, extended family, clan

With the whole clan on stage, the “Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride” song began playing (click here for a link to the song) and the gang began dancing (click here). The audience sat mesmerized (click here). Before the song ended, Leilani arrived (click here). She talked about her time on the mainland, and then the main portion of the show stopped so the luau guests could enjoy their meal.

The luau meal consisted of three courses. The first course (click here) was comprised of a vinaigrette-dressed salad, some sliced pineapple, and a Polynesian-style bread. The second course (click here) contained island pork ribs, lanai roasted chicken, South Seas fried rice, and a sautéed vegetable medley. I enjoyed the meal, especially the chicken and ribs (yum).

As we finished the first course and began the second one, the keiki were invited on stage to learn a hula dance (click here). According to the Hawaiian dictionary, a keiki is as follows:
keiki: 1. nvi. Child, offspring, descendant, progeny

Both boys and girls took the stage (click here). They were first taught hand signs (click here), and once they had mastered that, they were taught the rest of the dance (click here). It is always a lot of fun watching the youngsters hula. The audience loved it and I don’t think there was a camera in the whole place that wasn’t happily snapping a few photos of the keiki’s on stage.

After the keiki’s had departed the stage, anyone who was celebrating a birthday was invited on stage next. It didn’t matter how young or how old you were, as long as you were celebrating a birthday, you were expected on stage (click here). My dear friend was celebrating her birthday within a few days so up on stage she went (click here). She said she was only doing this to honor me since she had remembered my story from a few years prior when I had made my sister join the birthday celebrants on stage (the night of that luau was actually my sister’s birthday and we truly celebrated her birthday there). I felt so privileged that my dear friend was willing to embarrass herself on stage just to appease me, but since I was paying for dinner, I gladly let her take the stage (don’t feel too sorry for her – I’m sure she’s going to make me pay for this at some point in our friendship).

My dear friend was a real trouper. She made our group proud as she hula’ed her little heart out (click here). I think the highlight of the whole evening for me was captured in the look upon her face as she exited the stage after the birthday hula was over (click here). Just like that MasterCard commercial states, there are some things in life that money can’t buy. Well, almost. My money that night bought me another one of those “It Just Does Not Get Any Better Than This” moments that keep me going back to Walt Disney World year after year. All hail the almighty dollar, plastic or otherwise.

With our birthday girl safely back in her seat, Auntie Wini asked the couples who were celebrating an anniversary to take the dance floor. I was feeling slightly guilty about making my friend dance the birthday hula; how could I not dance the anniversary hula? My husband and I stood next to our table and swayed to the music. I found the whole thing quite comical considering I couldn’t really stand nor dance due to my broken leg, but I gave it the old college try (and leaned heavily on my husband for support). I actually felt like the stereotypical high school male with two left feet. You know the kind – he slow dances in the same spot, never moving his feet, and barely swaying as he rests his head upon his high school girlfriend’s shoulder. Yep, that was me. I definitely had the moves down pat. But it was nice finally having an anniversary dance with my husband.

Now that the audience participation portion of the luau had come to an end, the third course of our meal was brought out. There was much fanfare and the band played the theme song from “Hawaii Five-O.” We saw trails of smoke winding their way through Luau Cove (click here). The smoke was coming from the dessert, the “Kilauea Volcano Delight” (click here). Placed before us were individual cakes in the shape of mini-volcanoes, complete with flowing lava (sauce). The dessert was very unique and quite fitting for such a fun luau.

After dessert, the show started again (click here) with songs and dances from Polynesia. This portion of the show reminded me of the old luau. We saw dances and costumes from many of the South Sea Islands: Tahiti (click here), Hawaii (click here), Somoa (click here), and New Zealand (click here), amongst others. For New Zealand’s Maori poi-ball dance, it was performed in both light and dark (click here).

The poi-ball dance was not the only dance performed in the dark. Another dance was performed with flaming torches (click here). Talk about dramatic and a real showstopper. Click here for a slide show of the fire dance. It literally brought the house down.

The finale had the ‘ohana back on stage for a final number or two (click here). I couldn't believe that our evening had finally come to an end. Where did the time go?

The Spirit of Aloha dinner show was well done – the band played & sang beautifully, and the dancing was as wonderful as always. We really enjoyed the show and expressed our pleasure in both the American manner (click here) and in the Island manner (click here). Auntie Wini bade everyone goodbye, Hawaiian-style (click here). ~Aloha!~

With the show over, my family and guests exchanged our goodbyes. We truly had a wonderful time with everyone and felt so fortunate that they had agreed to take time out of their busy vacations to join us for dinner. I will cherish the memories of that evening always.

As my family and dear friend made our way to the Polynesian Resort’s porte cochere, we stopped inside the resort for a final photo or two to commemorate our evening. Here you see “Lilo & Stitch” (click here) and the little surfer girl (click here). Oh, how I wish they all could be California girls…

It sounds like you had a great time!

May I ask how far in advance you reserved the Spirit of Aloha dinner show?

I LOVE those Hawaiian slipper pendants. Maybe Santa will bring me one next year (or DH) :p

I can't see any of your picture links.:(

Can't wait to hear more.

Oh, gosh, Floridafam, I forgot I had the album on "private" status while I was adding photos & adding captions to it until almost 6 AM this morning. Obviously, in my sleep-walking state this afternoon, I forgot to set the album to "public" status. Please try it now.

Wow, you're descriptions are so detailed. I almost feel like I am there. Your trip reports are really great.

Originally posted by floridafam
It sounds like you had a great time! May I ask how far in advance you reserved the Spirit of Aloha dinner show?

Floridafam, I usually book the Spirit of Aloha and Hoop-Dee-Doo dinner shows as soon as my vacation is booked. According to ScottWDW’s PS Planning Guide website, you may book those shows up to two years in advance. I don’t book my vacation two years in advance, usually well less than a year in advance, but I have become accustomed to booking both of the dinner shows as soon as my room reservation is all set. My family tries to attend both shows during our vacations (we would have done so on this last vacation but I cancelled the Hoop-Dee-Doo reservation in order to meet Minybear & her spouse for the first time at the BoardWalk’s Belle Vue Room). My family enjoys the Disney dinner shows. They have become a family tradition.

Originally posted by floridafam
I LOVE those Hawaiian slipper pendants. Maybe Santa will bring me one next year (or DH) :p

Floridafam, the Hawaiian Slipper pendants are darling. Promise not to tell my dear friend but I purchased her one as a belated birthday present. I bought the pendant in triplicate at Na Hoku – one for her, one for my daughter, and one for myself. I have been unable to give it to her since she has been quite ill these past few weeks (one of the bumps in the road that I mentioned). But my daughter and I have a Girlfriends’ get-together planned with her for later on this week, and we will surprise her with her present. It will be just one more excuse for my dear friend to have to join my family on another Walt Disney World vacation. She’ll need a place to wear her new pendant, won’t she? And I know just the place. ;)

I have already added the website that makes the pendants to my "favorites". DH has such a love for Hawaii. He said that next time he goes he is NOT coming back because it is just too beautiful. We are trying to organize a trip with our family for the Ironman Triathlon in 2005 or 2006.

Unfortunately, the Spirit of Aloha is only offered Tuesday-Saturday. I already had my DH interested and then read days it is available. :( I guess we will have to try it in the Fall. He didn't seem to fond of attending it the night before the 1/2 Ironman.

Thanks for the wonderful pictures of the event. Everyone in my house loved them.

:sunny:

IloveDMB, thank you so much for the kind words. I really spent a lot of time writing up the Spirit of Aloha dinner show. I had been trying to write it up for the past three weeks. I was hoping to have it posted by the time that Minybear returned from her DCL cruise, but I failed miserably (she returned a week or so ago). Better late than never, eh?

I should take a moment to mention that Disney’s Special Needs folks alerted the Spirit of Aloha staff to the fact that I was disabled. I was going to do that myself but my favorite CM in the Special Needs Department took it upon herself to do so for me. As with everything that she handled for me, our group dining event went off flawlessly. That woman is a true angel in my eyes.

I don't have too much more to share but will try to find the time to write up the rest of my saga within the next week or two. I just hope that my thread here on the Resorts Board has given a little inspiration to others, especially those who are disabled, to take a chance with a Walt Disney World vacation. I don't know of any other place that is as handicap-accessible as that place is. I am no expert by any means and do not want to come across as being one, but for the months that I spent disabled and in a wheelchair, I can tell you that where I live on the West Coast is nowhere near as handicap-accessible as Walt Disney World is. The kind folks on the disABILITIES Board convinced me to take a chance and go through with my Walt Disney World vacation as planned. I am so very grateful that I did. Who would have thought that I would have had such an incredible vacation that was filled with cherished memories that would last me a lifetime? I certainly never could have imagined that as I spent many sleepless nights in intense pain, and many long days filled with constant worry regarding what the future held for me and my family due to my accident. Like that old ABBA song said, take a chance (click here for lyrics). I’m sure glad that I did.

This is all my humble opinion and others' opinions may vary, as it should be.

Hi Janet2k. I just wanted to say I am a more recent reader of the dis, and I have loved this trip report. I have checked back regularly to see if there were any updates. I had no idea you could do so many wonderful things at WDW...I mean, I knew there were wonderful things, but your trip really illustrates what you can do if you have the idea, the will and the desire. Thanks!

Glad to "see" you again, Janet! I hope your friend is well soon.

I've never really considered going to the luau, but your description sounds fun. Maybe we'll give it a try.

Finish up the report when you can, we'll be waiting for the rest of the details. :)

I've finally caught on to these and have been trying to get through them for the last few days. Such great reports. I can't wait to hear more. Though understand about writing reports. I wrote first two parts and then got so busy moving and travelling for the next 2 months didn't have time to finish. And now my memory is shot on details since I didn't take notes (We moved across country and took a month of traveling from Fl to Tenn to NYC to MI to MS to Tx). Ah well maybe will try later but won't be as good

I hope all goes well with you and your friend is doing better.

Maleficent13, Pixiechick, and Brat862, thanks for the kind words. I am pleased to report that my dear friend has made a complete recovery and that no damage was done to her organs from the severe reaction that she had to a very common over-the-counter cold/flu medication.

I have been swamped at work for the past several weeks. A major project was completed yesterday, so I am now able to take a breather and get back to my personal life. I am determined to finish my trip report before my next WDW vacation arrives (it is looming on the horizon). This was the first real trip report that I ever wrote, and I don’t know if I’ll ever write another one. Because of that simple fact, I will try my best to polish it off. I really would like to finish it so that I can print it and place it in my daughter’s scrapbook. I think she might enjoy reading it some day.

After spending a wonderful evening with our friends at the Polynesian Resort's Spirit of Aloha dinner show, it was time for my family and dear friend to head to Downtown Disney. Since it was my friend’s last night in Walt Disney World, she had some major shopping to do.

The Polynesian’s Bell Services folks placed an order for a van taxi cab for us (four people and a wheelchair make for an awfully tight squeeze in a normal cab, thus we had been requesting a van cab during our entire vacation). Within about ten minutes, a van taxi cab pulled up under the Polynesian’s porte cochere. We got ourselves situated inside the cab and away we went.

The drive to Downtown Disney wasn’t very long, maybe fifteen minutes or so. A minute or two after we had disembarked from our cab, my friend realized that she had left her wallet behind. We quickly made our way back to the cab but our cab driver was nowhere to be found. Some fellow taxi drivers told us that he had stepped out for a moment and would be back shortly. Within five minutes he returned. My friend explained her lost wallet situation and he unlocked his cab. She breathed a big sigh of relief when she found her wallet on the floor. With her wallet safely back inside her purse, we bade the cab driver farewell and headed to the World’s largest Disney store – the World of Disney.

For those of you who have not had the opportunity to shop in the World of Disney yet, let me quote the official WDW website: "Indulge your Disney dreams and visit the largest Disney Character shop on Earth. This fanciful store features 12 rooms overflowing with an overwhelming array of fun-filled character goodies. Mountains of huggable plush toys, cases of stylish watches, aisles of fashionable apparel, a castle-full of princess accessories and other unique merchandise make this the ultimate Disney shopping destination." It is one heck of a store.

We spent an hour or two in that store. My friend purchased some gifts for her coworkers and her father, and I purchased some items too. We had fun shopping.

After our whirlwind shopping spree had ended, we decided it was time to head back to our resort for a late-night swim. We took another van taxi cab back to the Beach Club Villas; and once we were back at our resort, we dropped our packages off in our respective rooms and quickly changed into our swimsuits. My husband was too-pooped-to-pop by that point, so he chose to stay behind in our room. My daughter, my dear friend, and I made our way down to the resort's quiet pool.

Since it was another beautiful Florida night, the quiet pool wasn’t very quiet. It was filled with lots of fellow vacationers. I noticed that I wasn’t the only disabled one at the pool that evening, which made me feel a little less self-conscious as I maneuvered my rear-end down the pool’s bump-down stairs.

The pool water was slightly on the cool side, but we found it refreshing. The three of us swam until we decided it was time to call it a night. We were all a little sad that my dear friend would be heading home to the West Coast in less than 14 hours.

As we headed back to our resort rooms, we made plans to meet in the morning for one last swim in Stormalong Bay. We were going to make sure that my friend’s final hours in Walt Disney World would be filled with sunshine and laughter, the only way to end a Disney vacation.

This was the first real trip report that I ever wrote, and I don’t know if I’ll ever write another one

Please say it isn't true:eek: :teeth:

I'm also glad to hear your friend is feeling better.

Can't wait to read more:sunny:

Yes, you have to write more trip reports! These are so great and detailed. I'll say it again, I feel like I'm there when reading your reports!

Glad to hear your friend is doing better. Thanks for giving us another installment, these are so great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter