My luggage was not at the port when we got off the ship!! Disney's response...

Im sorry, that really sucks, what an end to your crusie.
At another airport, I watched someone take my bag off the carousel !!! My hubby thought I had lost the plot cause I took off after a random person, rather than look at the label, she actually started going through it to see if it was hers!!!!! I thought it was mine, then I seen it was definatly mine when she opened it up. I mean,come on. Dh thought I was bonkers till I explained!
Folk can be stupid!

Maybe the woman went through your suitcase to see if there were any valuables in it!

Yeah luckily the people we were traveling with are super cool and understanding:)

Oh so sorry - the emoticon was supposed to be a sad face, instead it is a bunch of people dancing! I hope your group wasn't dancing around and partying while you were trying to find your luggage!

The only way to get over this is to....go again!! okay, with that happy thought I will give you the dancing people! party:

Oh so sorry - the emoticon was supposed to be a sad face, instead it is a bunch of people dancing! I hope your group wasn't dancing around and partying while you were trying to find your luggage!

The only way to get over this is to....go again!! okay, with that happy thought I will give you the dancing people! party:

I do have to admit when I woke up this morning I was thinking about bloody mary's again but if I went again I would NOT put my luggage out the night before!!!!

I always buy luggage with huge ugly flowers on it so that no one else would want mine! :rotfl: Our last cruise my son forgot to tag his bag. We found it behind the counter with other luggage that wasn't tagged. Everyone was nice and helpful. Sorry not everyone is "Disney friendly".

Laura

Just chiming in to add that my husband had his bag taken by another passenger on the morning we were disembarking the ship (1/30/10). The gentleman in the baggage area was very responsive, helped him look for the bag for a long time, took down his info (did not make us wait), and told us that it would be overnighted to us as soon as it was found. Sure enough, DCL called us the next day to let us know it had been located, and we received it the following day. We were very pleased with their handling of the problem.

At the end of our November 28, 2009 Magic Cruise when we went to get our luggage I pointed out our pieces to the porter and when I looked at the cart I saw a bag that wasn't ours. I had him take that one off and then went looking and found the one he had missed. Not all of our 4 pieces were together like they were when we got off the Wonder in 2008. Apparently the porters weren't as diligent on our second cruise as they were on our first.

I too, do not like putting our luggage outside our room, so what we do is stick around until we see our room attendant is out in the hall with the cart collecting the luggage. After it is on the cart I feel a little better about either going out or going to bed.

DCL's taking the luggage from outside your cabin the last night to the terminal the next morning is a service they offer. You do not have to put your bags out, but if you don't YOU will be handling them the next morning. Unfortunately, when you leave your cabin for breakfast the last morning, you are supposed to be out of the room with all your stuff (so the hosts can start cleaning the rooms for the next guests). Thus, you have to take all your luggage to breakfast.

Luggage piled outside the restaurant is just as likely to be taken (accidentally or intentionally) as luggage left outside your cabin the night before. Luggage taken into the dining room with you makes a gigantic obstacle course for the servers.

We had first seating dinner so we had the early debarkation day breakfast. We had breakfast at 7am and left the luggage in the room. We were back there by 745, took the luggage and left the ship. We did see a lot of bags piled up at the entrance to Tritons, and I thought "thats wierd, who brings their stuff" I guess I just didnt realize you should bring it, we were told we had to be out of the cabin by 8am, and we were.

We had first seating dinner so we had the early debarkation day breakfast. We had breakfast at 7am and left the luggage in the room. We were back there by 745, took the luggage and left the ship. We did see a lot of bags piled up at the entrance to Tritons, and I thought "thats wierd, who brings their stuff" I guess I just didnt realize you should bring it, we were told we had to be out of the cabin by 8am, and we were.

:goodvibesI take my carry-on case into the dining room with us and keep it by the table. I take stuff in my carry-on with me because I want what is in it with me, so why in heavens name would I leave it in the hall while I eat?:confused3 That never made sense to me. :goodvibes

If someone told me I had to leave it in the hall I would be very upset. No way would I leave the carry-on, with all my important stuff, sitting in the hallway where anyone could walk away with it. Never did have that problem though. I have a small rolling carry-on & a large purse. DH has a small rolling carry-on and a computer bag.

On another cruise line I had all my bags but one. We had a 10 hour drive home so I was not happy. Turns out the person sorting bags was color blind and put my bag in another area.

We have had this happen to us a few times. We have 6 people so we always have alot of luggage.

* A couple of times, we have had a piece of our luggage ended up in the wrong area. I think people take it by mistake and just leave it when they realized it is the wrong bag.

* On another trip we couldn't find 2 of our 6 suitcase. We had to wait for all the people to claim their luggage, to make sure there was no extra bags. We then filled out a missing luggage report. Disney told us; if it turned up they would try to get it on our flight. We left for the airport thinking we wouldn't get them back. My DH and I even talk about what was in the suitcase that were missing... trying to remember is it was anything important? When we got off our flight at home (in CA) & went to claim our luggage... ALL our bags were there. We were completely shocked.

On our last few trips, I have put matching (big) bows on the handles of ALL our bags. This way it was easy for us to spot them. Plus, I was also able to tell the porter...6 black suitcases with big blue bows.

I feel sooo sad for you.... It is not a nice way to end your vacation and to hear that DCL did not have a :hug: for you is sad. Sometimes one does not look for a solution but just to feel as if someone heard them. I think that is where they missed the boat....

I think that the luggage claim thing can go a lot easier if they just added a bit more technology into the claim. The cases are already tagged. I do not think people take luggage on purpose, but by a true mistake. So if the luggage was bar coded where you had to scan the piece and make sure it matched your bar code, the mistakes would not happen. I think people especially first time cruisers are so overwhelmed at the process that they are just trying to get through it. As a result they pick up the wrong bags by mistake.

I tell you.... We DO purchase insurance and even though we do.... If OUR bags were missing we would be in BIG TROUBLE. Due to our size, we have a hard time locating clothes and shoes local, so I know we will not find them on a vacation spot. We can not even rent tuxes on the ship. We have to preorder our own ahead of time and bring them with us. We have to order DH's shoes because very few people have his size. I am going to run into the same problem with my 6th grader. Already in a Men's 13, in a year or two we will not just find him shoes either... So lost luggage is a BIG deal.... So it helps when people act like they care!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to the OP for the loss of your luggage - it's crappy when you still have some vacationing left to do.

As a hint for others who maybe are a little concerned but are still putting their luggage outside of their room (or really any situation where there is a possibility that all of your luggage won't make it to you) - if you are travelling with more than one person - don't pack the suitcases per person - put half of each person's clothes and such in one and half in the other (and not like - all shirts in one and all pants in the other but for a 6 day trip, 3 outfits in one and 3 outfits in the other).

I learned this the hard way travelling home just before Christmas - I made it home on time but my luggage didn't - it showed up a few days after Christmas. Had I been thinking I would have packed things differently for the trip home. I had my phone and ipod in my carry on bag but my chargers for them in my checked luggage. I had bought a few stocking stuffers and put them in my checked luggage. But I arrived home with my bathing suit (I packed it in my carry on at the beginning of the trip) and a couple of finished novels and my all of my Disney papers which got tossed into my carry on.

When my bag got taken, it was a little black ordinary case, Normally on longer trips I have a hard canary yellow case with scotland stickers over it, nobody could take that by accident, I think thats the answer really, make it obvious its yours, when my case goes around, folks laugh at it and say"do you think shes from scotland":lmao:

:goodvibesI take my carry-on case into the dining room with us and keep it by the table. I take stuff in my carry-on with me because I want what is in it with me, so why in heavens name would I leave it in the hall while I eat?:confused3 That never made sense to me. :goodvibes

If someone told me I had to leave it in the hall I would be very upset. No way would I leave the carry-on, with all my important stuff, sitting in the hallway where anyone could walk away with it. Never did have that problem though. I have a small rolling carry-on & a large purse. DH has a small rolling carry-on and a computer bag.

They do ask that you leave any luggage outside of the door. Now we have our carry ons with us as well at breakfast, but they are small bags that we just place under the table at breakfast. The kids just have back packs. If people were bringing ALL of their luggage to breakfast, this IS an issue. There would be no place for it at breakfast but outside the door. Have any of you tried to manipulate the hallway when all of the luggage is out in the hall. It is crazy.... So I can not imagine all of th eluggage being outside the door as you are trying to get in and out of breakfast. So the small carry on's that can be placed under the table at breakfast are fine, but an entire families luggage for the week can not fit.:headache:

Lets not kid ourselves. Disney is great when everything works out, but they are horrible at customer service when there is a problem. Especially if it would involve expenses to them.

Joe

I have to disagree on this one. A couple of years ago we were at the stayed at the Polynesian a couple of days before our cruise. All of our bags were delivered via magical express except for my youngest daughter's bag. Disney could not have been more accommodating. They called to locate the bag and added a $50.00 credit to our room in case my daughter had to get something in the meantime. The lost bag was actually caused by the airline when a baggage handler ripped off a the handle that had the luggage tag on it. We got it the next day. This past December we added an extra day after our cruise to see WDW decorated for the holidays and watch the Christmas fireworks in Magic Kingdom. We decided to go to the Grand Floridian to see the Ginger Bread house, as we were leaving and on the monorail the doors closed and didn't move for 20 minutes. For some reason the operator would not let people out and some were starting to freak.We finally got off and we were told we would have to take the water launch . We did this and so did everybody else as the wait was well over an hour. Well we missed the fireworks so I wrote to Disney complain about this. Last week they sent us 4 one day park hopper passes good until 2030. Above and beyond as far as I'm concerned!

I do have to admit when I woke up this morning I was thinking about bloody mary's again but if I went again I would NOT put my luggage out the night before!!!!

Mmm...bloody marys...
Yes, I like the idea of skipping the dining room breakfast, and keeping the luggage ourselves. Have buffet early, go back to the room, grab the luggage, off the ship. Perfect plan for us procrastinators. I hate having the luggage in the hall at 11:00 pm when so much else is going on. I thought it was a mandatory requirement.

Are we in?:cheer2:

I have to disagree on this one. A couple of years ago we were at the stayed at the Polynesian a couple of days before our cruise. All of our bags were delivered via magical express except for my youngest daughter's bag. Disney could not have been more accommodating. They called to locate the bag and added a $50.00 credit to our room in case my daughter had to get something in the meantime. The lost bag was actually caused by the airline when a baggage handler ripped off a the handle that had the luggage tag on it. We got it the next day. This past December we added an extra day after our cruise to see WDW decorated for the holidays and watch the Christmas fireworks in Magic Kingdom. We decided to go to the Grand Floridian to see the Ginger Bread house, as we were leaving and on the monorail the doors closed and didn't move for 20 minutes. For some reason the operator would not let people out and some were starting to freak.We finally got off and we were told we would have to take the water launch . We did this and so did everybody else as the wait was well over an hour. Well we missed the fireworks so I wrote to Disney complain about this. Last week they sent us 4 one day park hopper passes good until 2030. Above and beyond as far as I'm concerned!

One's success in getting an issue resolved to their satisfaction usually has something to do with how they approach the CM or customer service agent when lodging a complaint. I have witnessed many an obnoxious guest/patron/passenger lay into a CM/customer service agent - belittling them, making threats, issuing ultimatums, etc - when faced with the same situation that I was currently facing as well (canceled flight, delayed dining reservation, ride shutting down, etc.). Rarely does it result in them getting a resolution any faster, or more to their satisfaction, than the guests who explain their predicament in a respectful and calm way. And typically, the ones who are more respectful and calmer usually get a faster and "more equitable" resolution. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter