• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Kid, School, Teacher

Candy30

DIS Veteran
We are going September 17-24th and that is about the third week of school for my 9 DS and he will be in the 4th grade. I want him to have a great experience at WDW as well as learning while he is there. But I don't want him so bogged down with school work that he can't enjoy himself at Disney.:confused: He is a great student in school but I don't want to just take for granted that he will be able to make it up. I also know that this can be a touchy area with teachers and I want to be able to approach the teacher w/o stepping on toes. I some how want to find a happy medium. :bounce: :bounce: Any teachers with suggestions for me?

I took my kids the third week of school last year, my kids were in 8th, 1st and kindergarden , i talk to the principal and explained it was the only time my hubby could get his vacation, they were great, they did give them work but not alot , and we made epcot a homework place., we did the masks at epcot and went to every country and they stamped them and we gave it to the teacher when we got back. he can do the passports too.
they learn alot from the countrys.
I hope this helps some!
mrsmom
All star resort dec95'
holiday Inn sunspree 98'
westgate lakes Sept 2000'
Royal plaza resort Feb 2001'
westgate lakes Nov 2002

We took my 7yr old DD out of school (2nd grade) for 6 days in May for our first Disney trip. Her teacher was very understanding and gave us a packet of work for her to do. She is a great student, but my concern was that she may get overwhelmed when we got back with makeup work plus her regular homework. We found time everyday to keep up with her work and it worked out fine.

I have heard from others that EPCOT has good educational opportunities for children, but one thing to remember is that it is important for the kids to stay on track with what their classmates are learning. It is great if you child's teacher can subsitute some classwork for a project about EPCOT, but I wouldn't insist on it. After all, it is the teacher's responsibility to introduce material - and she can't do that if your child is in Disney. Therefore, sometimes regular makeup work is necessary. The more flexible and understanding you are toward the teacher's job, the more flexible and understanding she may be toward your trip.

Melissa

Hi!

I'm a music teacher, and although I only see my students on a weekly basis (grades K - 5) I am in contact with lots of regular ed. teachers. I think if you call or make an appointment to meet with the teacher, you will get positive reponses. Try to meet with the teacher about a week before you go, that way she/he will probably know what's going to be taught the week you're away. If it somehow ties into something that can be researched at Epcot, by all means, encourage the teacher (and your child) to further explore that area of study. I always tell the students that I know that are going to WDW to research the different kinds of music in each of the countries in World Showcase. I don't think pulling a child out of school is a bad idea at all. The only time I have heard complaints is when National testing is going on. But that is not usually done in September. September is a time for class pictures and learning the rules of the new classroom teacher. I think you will be fine.

Have a great trip!

Anne

Only 5 days from now I'll be at the Polynesian! :D

I would be envious of my students getting to go during the school year. I have had a few students go to WDW before during school. I like to send them with $10 Disney dollars. In our district, this type of absence just needs to be arranged a couple of weeks before the trip.
This next year, I will have the whole Thanksgiving week off and my senior DD will only have 3 days. I am considering taking her out 2 days and trying to take a trip to WDW with her friend.

I teach 4th grade and we usually spend the first few weeks reviewing last year's materials. Most importantly, I would talk to his teacher just before school starts. There is nothing worse than when a parent just gives me a few days notice to get the work together. And if she can give it to you a little early maybe he can get a head start before you leave.

Leaving so soon after school starts may present a little more of a problem. The teacher will have less time to prepare...but who knows, maybe they already have stuff prepared for that far into the school year.

We have gone several times during the school year and our kids have missed a week each time. My hubby is a farmer and summer is just out of the question for us.

I always go to the principal at the earliest possible date - as soon as we decide to go. Last year I saw him at the before-school-started orientation. He has always verbally approved and asked me to remind him closer to the date of our trip. I usually then approach the teachers. They say the same, let them know closer to time - but this way they already know it is going to happen. (Our last trip was in mid December and everyone knew by September.) Closer to the time of the trip, I present the principal with a written request for my children to have excused absences. He signs it and passes it on to the teachers. At this point, I always have a meeting with each teacher and ask what I can do to make things easier. Without fail, there is something I can do. Furthermore, I always ask for the assignments a full week BEFORE we leave on the trip! They have never minded doing that and that way the kids can actually get ahead and get it done before we go. AND! All except one time, the teacher let them take any tests they were going to miss before we went - that time she didn't have it made out yet. So, there is no huge amount of work after they return. They don't mind doing it so much before they go because the reward is so immediate and clearly attainable: a trip to Disney World!

My best friend and I teach a group of 3rd and 4th children. While she is working with them on literacy concepts, I have the other group and teach math and science. I think it is wonderful when a student has the opportunity to travel to Orlando and experience Disney with their family. There is something to say for true family time and the wonderful learning opportunities at Disney. I provide the parents with examples of the concepts we will be covering during the time they are gone. Whenever possible I try not to send textbooks or lots of work. Parents working one on one with their child can cover the concepts that the child will miss in school. When they return I find the time to review and reteach if necessary. My school district does not approve of the practice of taking children out of school. However, I have had 2 or 3 children every year go to Disney during the school year.

I was thinking of posting this same question, so I'm glad you beat me to it. We are going from Sept 14-23, so DS will miss 6 days of school. I plan on speaking to his teacher during the first week of school, and request that he be given the work a week or so before we leave so he doesn't have to do it during vacation. In our school district the first 3 or 4 weeks is basically review, so I don't think he will have a hard time making it up.

We've taken our kids out of school several times to go on vacations -- usually the teachers are great about it and give them the opportunity to earn extra credit for any educational experiences. (That has ranged from doing an essay on how Mexico is like/dislike the Mexico pavillion at Epcot to writing a report on the different kinds of music they experienced on their trip.) So, I'd encourage you to ask for those kinds of opportunities as well.

Have a great time. September is the *perfect* time to go to WDW!

I teach 4th grade and when students go away I usually prefer to give them the work when they return unless it's very late in the marking period. It's sometimes difficult to anticipate two weeks in advance just how much material will be covered. Every class works at a different pace.
I also feel that if the child is going on a pleasurable vacation they should enjoy themselves. I give them plenty of time to complete the work gradually when they return.
Since all teachers have their own styles and preferences, this may not work for them but it should be early enough for the grades to be calculated in time for report cards.
Good luck and enjoy!

I agree family time is a priority, but have found trips can cause older students to feel very stressed about missing class time. Just a suggestion- teachers spend a lot of time preparing this class work, so a nice gift when you return may be a good idea.

:earseek: Thanks for all of the suggestions and points. This certainly helps a lot. Rumplemom I will take your suggestion on a little gift. I noticed a few mentioned talking to the principal too. I must admit I never thought of that. Thanks soooo much for your advice. I plan on using a little from everyone. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter