My In-laws are worse than your In-laws!

WOW! seriously WOW! i have just spent the last week dipping into this thread!!! riveting stuff!!!!

I am soon to become a DIL myself (well soonish) and have recently moved in (temporarily) with my future inlaws. They are wonderful! seriously! but when i was reading the comments from those who were like " omg your so selfish for getting angry at your mil" or " how can you hate your mil the woman who raised your husband" i just couldn't help but think ...do you have inlaws? As i stated before i love my inlaws... my future SIL will be my maid of Honour. my future mil and fil are just so generous and awesome.... but even i have had moment when moving in where i have had to step away and have wanted to rant to someone. i mean there family and even the best family in the world can drive you crazy.

OK so my stories are nothing like the ones i have read here, thank god! and most of my irritation is due to the fact that they are being so kind... and are just worried about me...alas this just makes me feel like they are all keeping an extra close watch on me and if i so much as sneeze they may pack me off in an ambulance swearing its pneumonia! also that they think the sun shines out of the behind of their son and daughter.

however i do have another story of another daughter and mother. my mother and my eldest sister. Now my mother is lovely, not perfect! but in saying that she has melowed in the past 10 years, but even before that she was not horrible and she was a fantastic mum to the four of us. However in the past few years my sister has taken to treating her like the wicked mother in law we have all read about in these stories.

ok before i go on to tell you the story i was originally going to write may i just say i just got a phone call from my mum. now whenever my dniece and dnephew are on holiday they come up to Scotland to spend a week with my mum and (they live in the north of england) in this week i always try and make it over for a few days which was easy enough before as i only lived across the river, i now live quite far north so when my sister organised a trip for the kids my mum quickly phoned me to tell me when they were coming and I got train tickets sorted so i could come down for a few days. However my mum just phoned my sister to ask when she wanted my mum and dad to drive down and pick up the kids, OH, says my sister, we have postponed it for 2 weeks. Now i totally understand as does my mother...but why couldn't she have told us this before rather than waiting till my mum phoned her? it also means that i won't be able to help out as i have to work and my mum will also have to work more that week leaving my dad to take care of them on his own..not a big deal but he isn't as young as he once was and also has a bit of an affinity with a red coat wearing dwarf we all know and love.

ok so i will now try and keep my original story short. Last year my dad thought it would be his last visit to disney (yeah right! lol) so he wanted the whole family to go. my brother couldn't make it but my eldest sister and her DH could with their DS 9 and DD 7. and my other sister and her DH AND DS1 could. and you know i'm gonna be there (with bells on :cool1:) so we get a 2 bedroom at OKW my eldest sis and her fam in the studio room, my other sis and her fam in the big bedroom Granma and grumpy ...sorry i mean grampa (my mum and dad) on the pull out sofa bed and me on the single sofa bed in the living room (hey if it means i get to go to disney i'll sleep in the bath with uncle Orville ;) )

ok so the first room we get my mum doesn't like too much ...its on the ground (first) floor and my mum gets paranoid about snakes so she always asks for one higher up. so she phones the front desk and as always they are happy to help but say we can't get one till the next day will this be ok. ofcourse! replies my mother and thanks the woman for her help. My eldest sister just looks at me and says " well that is the last grump mum is allowed this holliday" ....which i should have seen as a sign of things to come.... and besides it was actually a good call on my mums part as my brother in law (eldes sis husband) came out in all these weird bites after sitting on the balcony in that first
room.

ok so its not much... but my sis barely spoke to my mum the whole time and what was even stranger is how my niece was with my mum. My mum and my niece usually get on like a house on fire. she loves to visit my mum and they often play and for the first week of the two week holiday she was playing with my mum as usual...but then she got weird. one day when my mum and dad had just bought her a princess gown and accesories she was dressing up and said we should all get in a line to get our autographs etc....except Granma. so i asked...why not granma? she wants to meet the princess too. my niece didn't say anything. and she did the same thing when my mum said she would take her to the loo (after dniece declaring she needed to go) so my mum went and dniece waited till the next person needed. this time when i asked why she didn't want to go with Granma my sister said it was because Granma scares her and shouts at her.... WAIT WHAT???!?!!?? as i have said i am often around when my parents have the kids and i have seen my dad shout at when she has done something (he's not grumpy for nothing) even i have shouted at her when she has refused to do what she is told (i know bad aunt right) however i have never heard my mother raise her voice to her ever!

and i know your thinking..."you don't know that" but you just get the over riding feeling that my sister has being saying stuff in the presence of my niece about my mum. i know these are small things but it is so frustrating when my mum does so much for those kids (who do you think are the DVC members and bought them their park tickets etc etc) but my sister just doesn't appreciate it! at all! and she makes all these snide comments and i know it really hurts my mums feelings.

as i said before my mum is far from perfect...when i was growing up she and i had quite the rocky relationship. even now we all still know that darling middle is the golden child. although wait till i tell you about her DH ..perhaps in another post.

bizzarly i have painted my dad as the grump..this is only a wee bit true. he is actually a wonderful man who loves disney nearly as much as i do!:cheer2:

ok so my sis is not an evil thing that rimes with stitch. i love all family members dearly and am so lucky to have them... but this is just a rant! because as every sane person knows.... even the best families make us insane.

and you know what they say

you can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter