My Husband passed away and I'm left without medical insurance now.

I’m sorry for your loss.

Christian Healthcare ministries is what I use for insurance. The highest gold plan with brothers keeper runs about 175 a month. You can get the cheapest plan for about 50 a month. I have been very happy with it & they pay well on incidents over 500.

We had to use ACA in NJ, for my daughter who was booted at age 21 from her Dad's policy. (retiree plans did not have to allow the kids to stay on to age 28, she was still a FT college student. But not a dependent, so it was her income that was used for the ACA plans. She probably made $5000 a year, maybe, working PT with no benefits. The subsidy made the cost quite low, this was in the early years of ACA. She could have even qualified for free Medicare. We elected to have her get a more standard plan, as she had some serious health issues (.as a teen).

Depends on your income but ACA ended up costing my neighbor much more than Cobra and she was much better off calling a private insurance company and getting a policy from them.

We did ok with the ACA when we were self employed. It was expensive, but we made enough that we were subsidized. It allowed us to price different plans side by side. However, when my husband took a "real job with benefits" it paid less, but we more than make up the difference in health insurance costs.

I am sorry for your loss.
When my first husband passed away I was on his health insurance plan with his job. I paid for Cobra for a month. I knew I had to do something different for my daughter and myself as it was over $900 a month. I talked to our life insurance rep (who also sold other insurances) and I was able to get health insurance for $350 per month ( for both my teenage daughter and myself).

As if it isn't bad enough going through the loss of the love of my life. I knew they would stop his Social security since I'm under 60 but he passed away the end of December and they took his check out of our account because he had to be alive every day of the month. I've been covered on his policy for 32 years for medical insurance and before that from my job. I can pay $1000/month for Cobra for just myself but that seems steep and I don't have a big income. Where do I start my search? Is that price steep or is that average for good insurance. Our state charges you if we have a lapse in insurance, just seems like adding insult to injury.

Linda

You first start looking by either speaking with a local insurance agent or searching online.

I don’t have any advice, but I want to express my sincere condolences on your loss. When my husband passed away 12 years ago, he was covered under my employer’s health insurance.

I hope you can find something affordable. Good luck.

We use medishare... its Christian based insurance alternative.
I really like it, we have saved so much money.
I'm sorry for your loss, wish you a good 2021

As if it isn't bad enough going through the loss of the love of my life. I knew they would stop his Social security since I'm under 60 but he passed away the end of December and they took his check out of our account because he had to be alive every day of the month. I've been covered on his policy for 32 years for medical insurance and before that from my job. I can pay $1000/month for Cobra for just myself but that seems steep and I don't have a big income. Where do I start my search? Is that price steep or is that average for good insurance. Our state charges you if we have a lapse in insurance, just seems like adding insult to injury.

Linda

I am so sorry for your loss.

Social Security is paid in arrears, so if they took back the check he received in December (for benefits in Nov)--it may be possible to get that money back.
"We pay Social Security benefits monthly. The benefits are paid in the month following the month for which they are due. "
https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10077.pdf
Here is an explanation from a law firm:
http://www.fitzgeraldlawoff.com/answer_social_security_return_check.php
Form SSA-1724 | Claim For Amounts Due In The Case Of Deceased Beneficiary
https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-1724.pdf
*Note: If your spouse was paying for medicare, the above form will also refund Medicare premiums (that may have been paid in advance).

Was your spouse getting health care through an employer or a retired health insurance program? Do you still have health insurance available through your employer?

I am so sorry for your loss :hug:.

This is one my worries all the time. I stopped working my long time part-time job a little over a year ago (started babysitting for grandchildren more). The only benefits I had was dental and eye glasses - better than nothing. I am insured through DH. Many years ago when DH got sick we paid a little over $1,300 a month for COBRA.

If he were to pass, I would only be insured for an additional three months and I am a long way off from 65. It's not easy finding a job with full benefits or someone hiring someone at this age full time with benefits.

Check out and compare some of the websites mentioned. Good luck, let us know how you make out.

Personally I loved being able to have Cobra for 18mths when hubby retired..he's 5 yrs older than me..yes it was pricey but covered everything....after that I bought insurance for almost 5 yrs till I was on Medicare....I am sincerely sorry for your loss.....

I am very sorry for your loss.
That's really sad that they took the last SS payment; I agree with a PP--that's just cold.

You didn't mention if you work outside the home or not. If you do, a policy through your employer may be the least expensive. If you don't work, check into ACA if your income isn't very high.

My husband and I work for our local school district. We have several ladies working for the school district in various capacities (child nutrition, custodial, or instructional aides) for the sole purpose of accessing affordable medical insurance coverage. Most of them do not actually need the income, but the medical insurance. (Some of them have self-employed husbands or they are in a situation similar to your own.)

My husband and I work for our local school district. We have several ladies working for the school district in various capacities (child nutrition, custodial, or instructional aides) for the sole purpose of accessing affordable medical insurance coverage. Most of them do not actually need the income, but the medical insurance. (Some of them have self-employed husbands or they are in a situation similar to your own.)

That's a good idea if you are not employed and would like a part time job. My 18 yr old daughter is a para professional at a special education school and the benefits are really good, and they are actually a paid benefit that she wouldn't have to have taken out of her paycheck. I think most school districts have good healthcare benefits. The hospital that I work at has overpriced policies for its employees. You would think it would be the opposite.

I'm very sorry for your loss. I hope that you find a good way to cover your healthcare.

That's a good idea if you are not employed and would like a part time job. My 18 yr old daughter is a para professional at a special education school and the benefits are really good, and they are actually a paid benefit that she wouldn't have to have taken out of her paycheck. I think most school districts have good healthcare benefits. The hospital that I work at has overpriced policies for its employees. You would think it would be the opposite.

I'm very sorry for your loss. I hope that you find a good way to cover your healthcare.
Slightly OT but I also work in a hospital. We were told by HR that healthcare employees are the most expensive to insure compared to other areas of business because we know what's available and we want it all and tend to not take no for an answer.

That's not the case here in Texas, but it's more affordable than what one might purchase outside of an employer.

I am so sorry for your loss. I am Canadian so can't offer any advice re: health coverage, but I just wanted to pass along my condolences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter