My husband didn't believe me about FP+

You mean a marketing department is trying to put a spin on a product for the public? Please don't tell me that Google pretends to want to give me the most accurate maps or search results for my pleasure when their real goal is monetizing my web-surfing by presenting me with advertising.
Would you believe me if I told you Google wanted to provide the most accurate maps in an attempt at being known for a quality product?

Would you believe me if I told you Google wanted to provide the most accurate maps in an attempt at being known for a quality product?

No, I would not. I know people who either do or have worked for them. Google is an ad company first and everything else they do on the web is to further that business model. Providing a quality product is a means to present me ads they have sold to others. That is why the links you click for businesses from the map products is routed through AdSense.

There are other divisions they are using to diversity because the ad model is evolving but if you are using one of their web products it is because they want to monetize you. A good rule of thumb when online is that if you are not paying for it you are the product, not the customer. Right on these very boards we are sold to advertisers as the product and the advertisers are the customer.

No, I would not.
So you believe Google wants to be known for an inferior product?

Providing a quality product is means to sell me ads.
Exactly.

No one, as far as I know, is under the impression that Disney is in the business of altruism. However, in some bizarre effort to make money, often times companies will attempt to put out a product that consumers like. Generally, when a consumer likes your product, they will give you money for it. Maybe it isn't the focus it once was, but Disney certainly cares what John, Martha, little Suzy, and Johnny Jr. think, because that's the source of their revenue.

I don't understand no getting what you want. out of curiosity, i checked for tomorrow, and was able to get 7dmt at 7:55pm. I was also able to get A&E for tomorrow at 1 pm. I did not actually book either , because Im not going to wdw tomorrow. All this talk of "they were gone at 60 days out" scares people from even trying. Many open up at 45 days out, when people realize they cant afford their vacation. I have booked a&e at 30 days before. i have gotten 7dmt day of. you can get the hard to book. fastpasses. I honestly think it is easier to do a few days after your window opens.

I don't understand no getting what you want. out of curiosity, i checked for tomorrow, and was able to get 7dmt at 7:55pm. I was also able to get A&E for tomorrow at 1 pm. I did not actually book either , because Im not going to wdw tomorrow. All this talk of "they were gone at 60 days out" scares people from even trying. Many open up at 45 days out, when people realize they cant afford their vacation. I have booked a&e at 30 days before. i have gotten 7dmt day of. you can get the hard to book. fastpasses. I honestly think it is easier to do a few days after your window opens.

Sometimes nothing you do makes those FP+ available. A&E was not available for me at 6y0 days last year. It never became available while I looked. The only reason I got it was by coordinating with another DISer who was cancelling their A&E. Not an avenue the general vacationer is going to know about/have access to. I got 7DMT by booking at 60 days exactly. Within 5 mins of my window opening, it was gone for my entire trip, and it never re-appeared - not any time before the trip, nor during. For some people it isn't "talk" - it is what their experience with the system was, and they are using that to try and help others.

No, I would not. I know people who either do or have worked for them. Google is an ad company first and everything else they do on the web is to further that business model. Providing a quality product is a means to present me ads they have sold to others. That is why the links you click for businesses from the map products is routed through AdSense.

There are other divisions they are using to diversity because the ad model is evolving but if you are using one of their web products it is because they want to monetize you. A good rule of thumb when online is that if you are not paying for it you are the product, not the customer. Right on these very boards we are sold to advertisers as the product and the advertisers are the customer.
Guess google really doesn't like people like me who use ad blocking on their browsers. As a general rule of thumb, I don't click on ads, even if I do see them - which I try my best to block them as much as I can.

I can, I did and it was. Perhaps not for you, but it was for us.
you missed the sarcasm,:o lol, we had a "free flowing" trip when we went in December too, one of the best times we've ever had, When I posted OUR FP experiences, I was promptly informed that "well we were there at a slow time" "the crowd hadn't showed up yet" all the excuses, almost everything except the headliners were walk on, yes we had a great time but was informed I couldn't have had a good time because of FP+:thumbsup2

Sometimes nothing you do makes those FP+ available. A&E was not available for me at 6y0 days last year. It never became available while I looked. The only reason I got it was by coordinating with another DISer who was cancelling their A&E. Not an avenue the general vacationer is going to know about/have access to. I got 7DMT by booking at 60 days exactly. Within 5 mins of my window opening, it was gone for my entire trip, and it never re-appeared - not any time before the trip, nor during. For some people it isn't "talk" - it is what their experience with the system was, and they are using that to try and help others.

Agreed. Possible is not the same as probable.

you missed the sarcasm,:o lol, we had a "free flowing" trip when we went in December too, one of the best times we've ever had, When I posted OUR FP experiences, I was promptly informed that "well we were there at a slow time" "the crowd hadn't showed up yet" all the excuses, almost everything except the headliners were walk on, yes we had a great time but was informed I couldn't have had a good time because of FP+:thumbsup2

Yes, I did. My apologies. I'm so used to being told what we do can't be done that I just assume it's a serious objection. lol

Imma gonna ask a serious question, and I want a serious answer.

We've never done Figment. I have no idea what it is. I have two elementary age kids. Should we add to to our itinerary?
I would try it but it's now a hour wait no matter what the posted wait times are. LOL

No one, as far as I know, is under the impression that Disney is in the business of altruism. However, in some bizarre effort to make money, often times companies will attempt to put out a product that consumers like. Generally, when a consumer likes your product, they will give you money for it. Maybe it isn't the focus it once was, but Disney certainly cares what John, Martha, little Suzy, and Johnny Jr. think, because that's the source of their revenue.

Well said.

Guess google really doesn't like people like me who use ad blocking on their browsers. As a general rule of thumb, I don't click on ads, even if I do see them - which I try my best to block them as much as I can.

Nope, they and many other content providers do not like people who block ads. I block them too. The current ad business model will have to evolve just as it did in the late 90's when the prominent delivery method was popups.

We want to book the 7dmride & there was nothing available. Do we just have to try every day? (We're Disneyland people and hope it never comes to this there!) I don't mind booking them, but there's nothing available? How can that be? You say you change when you get closer - can you get 7dmr one month out?

You might have to just do standby for 7dmt! We had our coveted fp for it 60 days in advance in the only open spot of our 8 day vacay! it rained the entire day of our fp, so we were not able to ride it then, leaving the next am. I am glad we stood in standby, on a whim, for one hour to ride it though!
So, if you do get the fp,it is not guaranteed you will be able to use it, like us. So, I guess I would suggest standby if it is a must do ride, good luck:)

School has started or is about to start in most areas of the country. We are about to enter the slowest weeks of the year at WDW.

Oh, and there's a hurricane coming.

We were there the first week of august and had no trouble getting our FP for A&E and 7dmt, even day of. I have had 3 trips under the new system and never had any trouble getting what I wanted. July 2014, December 2014 (during parade filming weekend) and 1st week of august 2015, no problems.

I think many people get up in arms and give up before even trying.

In two trips I also was able to get every FP I wanted, including 7DMT and A&E with a little elbow grease, and we stay off-site. One trip was last-minute and I didn't even get our tix until about 20 days in advance. The harsh reality is with FP, like most things, there is a certain level of skill involved. If you learn how to manipulate the software, you will have a better chance of getting the FP you want. It also depends on how much time you are willing to spend going back and checking for openings.

You might have to just do standby for 7dmt! We had our coveted fp for it 60 days in advance in the only open spot of our 8 day vacay! it rained the entire day of our fp, so we were not able to ride it then, leaving the next am. I am glad we stood in standby, on a whim, for one hour to ride it though!
So, if you do get the fp,it is not guaranteed you will be able to use it, like us. So, I guess I would suggest standby if it is a must do ride, good luck:)

Good point, disneyseniors. I luckily made FPs for SDMT for both of our MK days on our last trip. On the 2nd MK day, the ride was not running for much of the day because of thunderstorms.

I would guess we are about 5 years away from MyMagic+ resembling anything approaching an end product. That 2 Billion dollars isn't being spent on Magic Bands or FP+. That money was spent to build an enterprise system to mine data and then use that data to increase income. It is mainly an infrastructure and data mining project and should be viewed as such. The public facing portion of the project is small and a means to an end, not an end itself. Any such product by design has to be implemented at a much earlier stage then the completion date because the data gathered in production will directly dictate future incremental changes of the overall end product.

I also think the general public is under the false assumption that they are the customer for MyMagic+. They are not. The customer for MyMagic+ are internal clients. Operations, marketing, forecasting, business intelligence, etc.

I've used MDE, MBs, and FP+ without any real problem. Glitches sure but I run projects, I expect glitches in production. Are there also things that need changed? Yep. Integrating park hopping into FP+ for example. I am confident that such a change is part of the project plan, it just hasn't been implemented yet. We are really at the very beginning of the overall project and that is exiting. It is a lot of fun watching the thing change over time.

I can think of quite a few data intensive real-time implementations that I bet are on the horizon. Bus routing based on RFID pings at bus stops, inventory management integration with a shopping app, flow control with an interactive map, and things like that.
I agree there are so many more possibilities than what is currently offered. They've got a lot of data. Big Data is the future!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter