My experience with Wheelchair Assistance and Magical Express

I'd like to hear this also-don't know how I compare! For me, it varies with how much happens. I've given as little as $5, as much as $20. The $20 was when the attendant pushed me and another lady, and he took me all the way from the plane to DME (a very long way at MCO). Then he was nice enough to stay with me in the wheelchair and wheel me out to the bus (that was just so nice on his part, especially since I'd tipped him when we got to the DME entrance).

OK. So I am finally back from our trip and wanted to share our experience coming back. I was told by the gentleman at POP Century's resort airline check-in to let the DME driver know when I boarded to call and get a wheelchair for me. When I told the driver this, he said that he would notify DME, once we arrived at MCO and they would get me one. I did notice that when we parked at MCO, the driver spoke to the DME gentleman. I clocked how long it would take for a wheelchair to show up. It took 10 min. TSA pre-ck was fast and we were at our gate very quickly.
Thank you to whoever said to tip!!!! We were well prepared for this. It was amazing how many did not tip at all and I am grateful that i was not 'one of those people'.

ETA - As far as tipping $, I tipped the guy $15 at MCO on our way down. We landed after 11:30pm and the guy took me from the gate, to baggage claim and then to DME. for MCO on the way back yesterday, we tipped the guy $20 because he went above and beyond with getting me a corrected boarding pass (long story short - POP Century printed off the incorrect boarding pass for me and it was my fault that I never checked it until we were at the airport).

Last edited:
We're flying on American Airlines on May 5th and I just called them today to get wheelchair assistance for both my first and connecting flights. They noted it and said it was all taken care of. When we flew Delta, there was a place to check off on the form when you were booking.

I hope you realize that the problem is when you return to the airport, American Airlines won't know anything about coming to get you (and it's debatable whose responsibility it is to get you from DME to the American Airlines ticket counter) unless DME notifies them. Last I checked, DME didn't have wheelchairs nor anyone whose responsibility it was to get people to their airline. Theoretically, the bus driver is supposed to call ahead, then DME calls your airline to have a porter bring a wheelchair to DME. However, the reality is often much different. If your airline's ticketing desk is just upstairs, most (but not all) people can manage themselves with a cane up to ticketing. However if AA is way over where Southwest is, the other side of the airport, it's probably a "No way!" That's often where the problem comes in. Southwest is excellent-once you get to ticketing. I'm considering an Uper or Lyft next time.

I hope you realize that the problem is when you return to the airport, American Airlines won't know anything about coming to get you (and it's debatable whose responsibility it is to get you from DME to the American Airlines ticket counter) unless DME notifies them. Last I checked, DME didn't have wheelchairs nor anyone whose responsibility it was to get people to their airline. Theoretically, the bus driver is supposed to call ahead, then DME calls your airline to have a porter bring a wheelchair to DME. However, the reality is often much different. If your airline's ticketing desk is just upstairs, most (but not all) people can manage themselves with a cane up to ticketing. However if AA is way over where Southwest is, the other side of the airport, it's probably a "No way!" That's often where the problem comes in. Southwest is excellent-once you get to ticketing. I'm considering an Uper or Lyft next time.
It is always the airlines or the airports (depending on contract) responsibility to get you back to the terminal and it is always your responsibility to inform the airline you will need assistance and how and when you will be arriving so they can meet you.

My purpose of posting here is to bump this. Anyone have any current experiences they would like to share? My trip is scheduled to begin August 13th. Trying to figure out if I need to purchase a "cheap" wheelchair to eliminate any problems. Thanks!

To be absolutely certain you will have a wheelchair, yes, you should bring one. Before you buy (unless you expect a more permanent need in the future), see first if a service agency (Masons, Elks, KoC, etc.) has a loan program. Or see if you can rent one at home.

My purpose of posting here is to bump this. Anyone have any current experiences they would like to share? My trip is scheduled to begin August 13th. Trying to figure out if I need to purchase a "cheap" wheelchair to eliminate any problems. Thanks!

To avoid waiting around or potentially having to look for assistance, I would recommend having your own wheelchair. That could be a purchased chair or a rental. I agree with @kaytieeldr. Check to see if anyone in your area has a DME (durable medical equipment) loan or reuse program. You might find what you need free or cheap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter