My Eighty-something year old Mom's FIRST trip to Disney!! What Should We do First?!

A tour through the castle is very lovely and really will set a magical atmosphere to your trip.

really i would only concentrate on dl. that first stroll down main street will be priceless def get photopass. why WOC not fantasmic? the train first def. imho
tiki room jungle cruise especially with the first timer button. the mark twain is my grandmas favorite, ask to go to the pilot house if she can do some stairs.

Yes! For sure will do the photopass. According to the schedule for the day we'll be there, Fantasmic is not listed as being shown :sad1: Thanks for the tip about the pilot house on the Mark Twain...will add that to my list - thanks! :)

Is this a separate tour? Will check it out on the website, but a great idea!
It's the Sleeping Beauty Cast walk-through. The walk-through tells the story of Sleeping Beauty with special effect dioramas through the castle. A number of steps (you go in one side of the castle, up and over the walkway and out the other side). Anyone able bodied can do it (not a lot of steps) but wheelchairs have to be content with doing a virtual walk-through which is close to the exit.

The entrance is just a non-descript open door, just inside the castle courtyard on the snow white/BBB side of the castle. Very charming but scared the crap out of our then 5-year-old grandson (when he pulled on a door knob in the 'prison'...it shook and the guards on the other side starting yelling). The he saw Maleficient's shadow coming after him on the way out and he took off running!

I would highly recommend the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour. Being an absolutely disney geek, there was very little new information for me, but with a first-time adult visitor, I think it provides a great content that you wouldn't get otherwise.

You are lucky that you're mom is very active. We just return with my MIL, just 74, but she has lived a very sedate life and it shown. It was very difficult for her since she does not walk at all, so we took her in a wheelchair and that was just much better. Even so, she stayed at the hotel's room a couple of times since she was so exhausted. I'm not sure she enjoyed the parks very much, we are a very active family and love to walk, so that put a lot of stress sometimes.
The worst part of all is that I'm not sure what she did enjoy :scratchin since she said that everything was great, but I think she didn't want to let us down.
Anyway, you still might want to think in the WC in case she does gets tired, or if she needs help with the lines, sometimes just standing there may be too tiring.

It's the Sleeping Beauty Cast walk-through. The walk-through tells the story of Sleeping Beauty with special effect dioramas through the castle. A number of steps (you go in one side of the castle, up and over the walkway and out the other side). Anyone able bodied can do it (not a lot of steps) but wheelchairs have to be content with doing a virtual walk-through which is close to the exit.

The entrance is just a non-descript open door, just inside the castle courtyard on the snow white/BBB side of the castle. Very charming but scared the crap out of our then 5-year-old grandson (when he pulled on a door knob in the 'prison'...it shook and the guards on the other side starting yelling). The he saw Maleficient's shadow coming after him on the way out and he took off running!

I would highly recommend the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour. Being an absolutely disney geek, there was very little new information for me, but with a first-time adult visitor, I think it provides a great content that you wouldn't get otherwise.

LOL! Awww, I'm chuckling but fell bad for the little guy! I love the wishing well, but don't think I've noticed this before. It has gone on my must-do list! Thanks so much for letting me know :goodvibes

You are lucky that you're mom is very active. We just return with my MIL, just 74, but she has lived a very sedate life and it shown. It was very difficult for her since she does not walk at all, so we took her in a wheelchair and that was just much better. Even so, she stayed at the hotel's room a couple of times since she was so exhausted. I'm not sure she enjoyed the parks very much, we are a very active family and love to walk, so that put a lot of stress sometimes.
The worst part of all is that I'm not sure what she did enjoy :scratchin since she said that everything was great, but I think she didn't want to let us down.
Anyway, you still might want to think in the WC in case she does gets tired, or if she needs help with the lines, sometimes just standing there may be too tiring.

My Mom lives in upstate NY and as much as I give her a hard time about mowing 2 acres of lawn on her riding mower, weed-wacking, etc. I guess it has help her keep active in her own way so I'm very thankful for that. I will anticipate she'll get tired but I know she'll be waaayyyy to stubborn to do the wheelchair. We'll have to just plop on a bench for awhile and what the people go by, which is okay since it's just the two of us enjoying the park.

Thanks so much for the feedback and even tho your MIL had trouble getting around, she's lucky to have you and your family to wheel her around the park so she could enjoy the sites and your family...don't doubt that she had a great time ;) That's what great about the parks, I think someone could enjoy it without ever going on a ride :goodvibes

I would take some time and see the Disneyland Band. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_EXsVRK9TA

On May 21, the DL Band plays at:

10:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
11:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
12:00 p.m. to 12:30 p.m.

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/cal...inment,parkatmosphereentertainment/2012/05/21

The DL Band usually plays at the entrance, in front of the castle, and in town square (by the flagpole).

HTH :earsboy:

Thanks for this great info. and the times!! I've caught them playing from time to time, but happy to have the specific times so we can plan to enjoy the entire performance. My Mom will love this! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!