My Disney Photomosaic

sixbitslocum

Mouseketeer
I recently found a really neat way to display the pictures from all of our Disney trips on the Disney Experience board (http://www.disneyexperience.com/lvdlabs.html) They explain how to take your pictures and turn them into a photomosaic (you know, one of those pictures that is made up of a lot of other pictures). It uses a program called AndreaMosaic. I was amazed by the results. Here is a link to my first photomosaic.

http://www.blackthornesw.com/jslocum/WaltMickeyMosaicSmall.jpg

Every picture in the mosaic was taken on one of 5 Disney trips and 2 Disney cruises. It was created from a pool of about 1000 images. The original file is about 30 megs. The link shows a smaller version in a lower resolution, but you'll get the idea. I plan to send it to shutterfly.com and get a poster size printout of it.

Here are some tips for anyone else who wants to try it...

- Don't use your original digital pictures. Make copies of them and process them as described below.
- Use only landscape oriented pictures. If you use portrait oriented pictures, they will be turned sideways. Using a program like IrfanView you can crop portrait images into 4:3 ratio landscape pictures.
- Create additional pictures by cropping existing pictures. For instance, if you have a picture of your kids with Mickey, create a duplicate and crop the duplicate to include only Mickey's face. By cropping existing pictures, you can increase the library of images that the software has to use.
- When cropping, don't always center the subject. If you place the subject on the right or left, you can allow the software to flip the images horizontally which will double the number of possible images it can use.
- When placed together, each image will probably not need to be any larger than 200 pixels wide. After all your cropping is completed, use IrfanView to size all your pictures to 200 pixels. This will make the software process much faster.
- When cropping additional pictures from existing pictures you should crop some to highlight different colors. For instance, I had a picture of my daughter in an orange swimsuit on the sand at Castaway Cay. I cropped the sand out leaving mostly her orange suit, so the program now had a mostly brown image and a mostly orange image to use.
- Also, pay attention to differences between light and dark. The software will make use of sharp lines between light and dark. See the rim of the platform in my sample picture to see what I mean. When cropping, create various light/dark lines. i.e. straight across the middle, top or bottom, or from lower left to upper right, etc.

After spending some time processing my images, it now takes only a few minutes to create an new photomosaic of any other image. My wifes family (16 of us) went on a Disney Cruise 2 years ago. I'm going to create a photomosaic of the Mickey statue at Castaway Cay using only pictures from that trip and frame them for Christmas gifts this year. It's been really fun to play with, and I thought you all might be interested. :thumbsup2

This sounds awesome-unfortunately your links don't work for me!! Thanks for posting, sounds absolutely amazing!!

WOW! That is so cool! Did it take a really, really long time? I want to try this!

Wow! That is amazing. :cool1: Very inspiring - I want to make one! Does the program mentioned work with Mac?

Jeanne

Whee!

StitchIsOurHero and I have been playing with this for the past hour or so and it is the coolest program ever. We didn't even take time to edit pictures, we just selected about one thousand random disney trip pictures and put them in a directory and let the program go. We got an awesome picture (although I agree it will look better when I go in and clean up the pictures some). The program is really easy to use. I printed off the tutorial pages and we just followed the steps.

Thank you so much for posting this!!!!!

The first attempt doesn't take long at all. Just put all your pictures in one directory, and your first attempt can be ready in as little as 30-60 minutes. You can then play with all the different customizations in the program to see what works best.

When you're ready to print out a real image though, you'll want to sort your pictures and clean them up first.

I've spent maybe 4 hours total cleaning up 1000 images and creating that mosaic.

Sixbitslocum You are the BOMB pixiedust:

eptMosaic2.jpg

tmt martins... looks great! I printed my picture on an 8x10 on my photo printer using a 30x30 grid and it works well. It's fun to go over it with a magnifying glass. I'm going to upload one of my pictures to Shutterfly and have them print off a 16x20 with a 40x40 grid. I'm thinking about making my own photomosaic coffee table book. I'll let you know how the Shutterfly prints turn out.

I'm a programmer by trade and would love to get my hands on their code to make some modifications. Oh well... maybe when I retire I can write my own. :cool2:

This is so cool. Hope you don't mind if I post it on another board.

Thanks for sharing. Your Walt/Mickey photo looks great!!!

sixbitslocum said:
tmt martins... looks great! I printed my picture on an 8x10 on my photo printer using a 30x30 grid and it works well. It's fun to go over it with a magnifying glass. I'm going to upload one of my pictures to Shutterfly and have them print off a 16x20 with a 40x40 grid. I'm thinking about making my own photomosaic coffee table book. I'll let you know how the Shutterfly prints turn out.

I'm a programmer by trade and would love to get my hands on their code to make some modifications. Oh well... maybe when I retire I can write my own. :cool2:

I opened it in MS PAINT and it looks great in there you can see how the shaded and flipped the photos.I haven't played with it to much but I Service Production Color Copiers So I might try to punch it up to a 12X18 and see what I get.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter