My daughter's eye got hurt during fireworks at MK

Vickie46

DIS Veteran
Has this happened to anyone else? I think it was the fireworks dust or something.. It was crazy all of a sudden.. my daughter started screaming.. an employee saw my daughter screaming and got a rag and ice.. rushed us over to the clinic and they washed it out and put an ice pack etc on it.. then next thing I know 3 others came in .. 2 more kids and an adult.. they said it was the way the wind was blowing that night.. they can't rope off every section.. it was very crazy..

I didn't know if this has even happened to anyone else?

I have gotten hit with ash from the fireworks at the Magic Kingdom and Epcot before, but never badly enough to require medical attention.

I hope that your daughter is OK. I'm sure that must have been scary for all of you.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I have gotten ash from the fireworks on my face, not in my eyes.
It likely happens very frequently.

Hope all is well with your child.

It happens sometimes. I've seen it before at firework shows and even around campfires generally you just wash the ash out and go on. Glad your daughter is doing better should be no lasting problems.

wow i have never heard of this happening. i hope your daughter is okay, she is a brave one.

Happened to me the first time I saw Fantasmic. We were sitting in one of the first rows. The fireworks were going off and suddenly I had searing pain in my eye. It felt like it was on fire. Horrible!!! The CM's took me a back way to the nursing station and they repeatedly flushed my eye and tested my sight. They gave me a bunch of saline tubes to take to the hotel and told me to keep flushing it that night. Not fun!

A piece of the a fireworks shell landed about 2 inches from me one year. It was roughly the size of a small lemon. I took it with me as a free souvenir but left it at the hotel since I didn't want to risk bringing it on the plane (since it smelled like gun powder and stuff)

Yep, this happened to my partner a couple of years ago when we were at MK the day before my birthday. She knew that I was bummed that Wishes wasn't going to be shown on my birthday due to a MNSSHP that was scheduled on my birthday, so she surprised me and ditched out of the park we were in early in order to drag me over to MK for Wishes, which was very sweet, but when the ash flew into her eye, it was pretty darn scary. The lights were off on Main Street, it was crazy crowded and trying to find the first aid station through the crowds in the dark was not fun.

First Aid was great once we got there. Luckily, other than some slight stinging and redness for the next 3 days, she was totally fine. However, now, there is no Wishes viewing without her wearing some sort of protective eyewear.

Question: If it happens so much then why stand right there where you can potentially get hurt?????????

Question: If it happens so much then why stand right there where you can potentially get hurt?????????

I got ash in my eye last year during Illuminations. I'm pretty careful about picking a spot that's NOT downwind. Best way to get ash in the eye is to be standing in the direction in which the wind is blowing. Problem was, the wind shifted as the show was going on. When I picked my spot I never expected to get smoke in my face, let alone ash. By the end of the show, both were in my face, thanks to that shifting wind

I had a piece of the casing hit my thigh (sitting cross-legged on the ground). At first I thought someone was throwing rocks until I saw it lieing beside me. It was a cylinder shaped super extra thick cardboad (hard as wood) that smelled of gunpowder. It left a bruise on my leg, but all I kept thinking was thank God it didn't hit anyone in the eye. Can you imagine? The way we all gaze wide-eyed up at sky. It would've done some serious damage.

Happened to me while standing on the bridge between the UK and France,while watching Illuminations. Very uncomfortable getting that ash in my eyes!

No way to know where it might happen.

I have not had this experience at Disney, but years ago, it happened at a Philadelphia Phillies ball game. A piece of paper casing from a fireworks shell landed between my leg and my friend's leg. He got burned by it (nothing serious but he did have to go to the first aid station). I wasn't injured but it was pretty scary.

One would think that every seat in the stadium was considered safe. One would be wrong if you thought that. But there was no way to predict that that particular piece of debris would land where it landed.

I got hit with this (cant post a picture until I have 10 posts?) while at the MVMCP in December. My son just moments before that was video taping the fireworks and had to stop as he was being burned on the arm from ash. After that I got hit in the head and chest with this. I have to say that it is not a pleasant experience to go through. I hope that your daughter is better now and none the worse for wear. After this experience for me. I preferred watching the fireworks from a greater distance away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter