My daughter HATES princess anything! Vent!

Elliesmommy

Mouseketeer
My daughter, 8, hates anything princess. This bums me out just a little because I want to see her all dolled up as a princess. Instead, the only clothing item she felt fit her style is this adult ear hat.

Of course, I am happy that she isn't following the society norm. But I am going to walk around the parks with my daughter wearing this creepy hat!

Just a minor vent! Any other parents suffering from kids not being into Disney as much as you are?

I never liked the princesses as a kid. I was such a tomboy growing up, and that included the activities we did on our Disney trips. Just because she's a little girl doesn't mean she's required to be into girly things like Princesses. Let her follow her own groove and embrace it. Kids are a lot more intuitive than a lot of adults perceive and if she doesn't know it already, she's going to realize how you feel about her attitude towards the princesses and that could grow some resentment.

My DD9 has outgrown princesses... she told me that she is growing up. But, she loves tsum tsums and Star Wars so I found some cute shirts at Target that have Star Wars tsum tsums. She still loves Disney World, so that's enough for me!

My kids only went to DL. Son went once and daughter twice. They were not really into anything. Just enjoy the time with her. That is what most counts.

My daughter, 8, hates anything princess. This bums me out just a little because I want to see her all dolled up as a princess. Instead, the only clothing item she felt fit her style is this adult ear hat.

Of course, I am happy that she isn't following the society norm. But I am going to walk around the parks with my daughter wearing this creepy hat!

Just a minor vent! Any other parents suffering from kids not being into Disney as much as you are?

Most 8 year olds are past the "I want to get dolled up like a princess" phase anyways, even if they do love princesses.

Can you take her to the Pirates League to get dressed up as a pirate or mermaid? That way she can still get that experience without the princess focus, and you can get some cute photos. My oldest daughter is now 15 and she was never into princesses either, she's an awesome kid who still loves Disney. I hope you have a great trip!

Heck I'm 32 and own several Disney princess shirts/leggings from Hot Topic and sometimes choose to wear a tiara instead of a Mickey ear hat. Love to get pixie dusted at castle couture and sometimes diy with hairspray and fine glitter. I'm sure if I were to have a young daughter and take her to Disney I'd want to do some type of match princess thing with her or take her for pictures and dress up session at BBB. I'm all for letting her be herself, whatever that may be. Could you maybe lure her in the way of saying she's a pirate princess? (Spray glitter on that hat?) or let her see Tinkerbelol and the Pirate Fairy?

Can you take her to the Pirates League to get dressed up as a pirate or mermaid? That way she can still get that experience without the princess focus, and you can get some cute photos. My oldest daughter is now 15 and she was never into princesses either, she's an awesome kid who still loves Disney. I hope you have a great trip!

I agree with the above poster. Take her to Pirates League and let her choose the look she wants. Our almost 7 year old granddaughter just had a great time doing it! I like her hat too!

I can understand being secrety disappointed that your daughter isn't into princesses but seriously why is it a big deal to see her wearing the hat if it's what she wants to wear?

You said: "the only clothing item she felt fit her style is this adult ear hat." Her style being an important detail.

And I would still say your daughter is into Disney considering she wants to wear a Mickey Ears hat but what it sounds like is she's not into the same Disney style as you are...i.e. Disney Princesses and that is rubbing you the wrong way.

LOL, I get what you are saying OP. My granddaughter from a young age on, never wanted to dress like a princess. She is and was more into animals, helping out at the local animal shelter, dog sitting, etc. I remember at the princess breakfast at the Castle, she did not dress up at all, probably the only one there who didn't care one way or the other. She was just there for the food and being inside the castle. So, thank heavens for individuals. Gotta love her:)

Last edited:
I didn't know this was available. She actually said she wishes there was something like this! She would love to be done up at a pirate. Thanks for the tip/idea.

I can understand being secrety disappointed that your daughter isn't into princesses but seriously why is it a big deal to see her wearing the hat if it's what she wants to wear?

You said: "the only clothing item she felt fit her style is this adult ear hat." Her style being an important detail.

And I would still say your daughter is into Disney considering she wants to wear a Mickey Ears hat but what it sounds like is she's not into the same Disney style as you are...i.e. Disney Princesses and that is rubbing you the wrong way.
You are right except that I am not being rubbed the wrong way. I just always wanted to see my little girl dressed up as a princess. It's alright, I am more proud that she knows herself and does her own thing!

You are right except that I am not being rubbed the wrong way. I just always wanted to see my little girl dressed up as a princess. It's alright, I am more proud that she knows herself and does her own thing!
I'm glad to hear you aren't being rubbed the wrong way. I totally understand wanting to see your girl dressed up as a princess. I think other posters have good advice too with Pirates League or incorporating the pirate theme with other costumes too :-). I personally wouldn't have even thought about Pirates League.

All boy mom here so I get it. Enjoy your little pirate. Princess meet and greet lines are too long anyway .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter