• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Must eat at restaurants near DW?

Ashleybs

Mouseketeer
We're going to Disney World for 6 nights in May. We have 1 Character Dinner planned but that's it. What are some great, "must eat at" restaurants that are near Disney that won't break the budget compared to if we were to only eat on property? I'm thinking Giodano's for one dinner based on previous recommendations. Thanks for the suggestions!

I'd say it depends on what type of eating you want to do. If you like the tried and true, there are so many well-known chain restaurants in the area, you won't go hungry.

If you'd like to go off the beaten path a little (my family is a big fan of eating at local mom-and-pop places, we avoid big chain restaurants), then there are lots of well-priced gems.

We ate at:

Pio Pio's Columbian Restaurant
Hanamazuki Japanese Restaurant
Sweet Tomatoes (now THAT'S a salad bar!)
Pao Gostoso Brazilian Bakery (we never got to eat their empanadas because our DD ate them all. Both times!)

We also had ressies at Texas de Brazil but DH got stuck at Sweet Tomatoes and didn't want to go to TdB!!!! :sad2: I will have to put my foot down on our next visit!

2nd Sweet Tomatoes, and also like Bahama Breeze for a chain (not up here in New England).

I keep hearing about Sweet Tomatoes, and I know we are close to one at Cypress Pointe. From looking at their menu, it looks like soup and salad bar type things. I have little girl who is 8 that is a soup buff, loves her soup, cream soups, broth soups you name it she loves it. I have a 10 year old, that wouldn't touch any kind of soup, and is a very picky eater. LIkes her breads, not a big pasta eater, likes eating fresh veggies raw, green beans, are her fav. Will she find anything to eat here? What are the prices, and is it a good dinner spot? I am looking for someplace the night we arrive. BY the time we land at 4:30 get our car, then to Cypress Pointe, and groceries will it still be open? Any other suggestions?
I also understand there is a Sweet Tomato ettiquitee!!! Something to do with where u start in the line, and so on. Any answers for me?

You will LOVE Sweet Tomatoes (sign up on their website about 1 week ahead for deals).

There is plenty. Plenty of soups of all kinds, made from scratch. Plenty of breads, several kinds, yum yum. A hot baked potato (russet and sweet) station with toppings.

The salad bar is.... humoungous. huge. gigantic. delicious. It has pre-dressed green salads, plain lettuce for build-your-own and the toppings are endless: cheeses, seeds, beans, pastas, diced veggies, and then the "creamy" salads: potato salad, broccoli salad, coleslaw, pasta salad.....

The etiquette isn't all that strict. You pick up a tray at the end of the salad bar, working toward the registers at the end. Pay after you get your salad. Then you move onto the baked potatoes, the soups, the breads, the frozen-yogurt, the brownies...

We're from Canada and DH is STILL crying about how much he misses Sweet Tomatoes!

Sorry, I've now got to go wipe the drool off my chin.

We like Sweet Tomatoes too. There's also a Steak N Shake nearby that's good for burgers and fries and it has a drive thru.

Now I have to tell you this sounds like my kind of place, just hoping my one daughter will eat, I don't want to pay for her and she won't eat anything. Is there any meat of any kind? Also, what were the prices like. Not that it matters for us, just if I pay for her, and she doesn't eat, will I be out a chunk of money? Thanks

I want to say the prices at Sweet Tomatoes varied depending on the time of day and day of the week but it was never higher than $9.00 per adult if I remember rightly. I think for lunch it may have been about $7.00. They have a salad bar, about 6 different soups, breads, desserts, and at times pastas and pizza bread. Great value for the money and the food tasted fresh. They didn't have specific meat items like chicken fingers or anything but some of the salad toppings and soups contained meats, chicken, ham, etc.
Steak N Shake combo meals are between $4.00 and $8.00 depending on what you order.

I've eaten several times at the Copper Canyon Grille at the Pointe Orlando on International Dr. I really like the rotisserie chicken -- it's well-seasoned. There is a parking garage nearby -- free parking with validation.

I also like Landry's Seafood on Rt 535 at Vineland Rd. Lemon pepper tuna steak is my usual.

Another vote for Sweet Tomatoes. They are healthy and awesome. Even my 4yo will eat his veggies there.

Man, I miss me some Sweet Tomatoes! We don't have one nearby but I wish we did. I bet your little one will have no problem finding something she'd like to eat there. I didn't realize there was one nearby but I'm glad to hear it. We might have to make a trip over there.

We went to Golden Corral for the first time ever last time we were in Orlando and I have to say the food was surprisingly good and the variety was incredible. I think anybody could find something they like there. They had really nice steaks cooked to order. It was not at all expensive. The set-up is not fancy by any means though - plastic plates and cups, you pay before you are seated. Our server was fairly attentive but I would imagine that service is not their strong suit (not generally too important at a buffet, though, IMO).

The kids have asked to go back - it is a "must-do" in their eyes and I'm happy to oblige except that it is so hard to not over-eat when there (a draw-back to any good buffet, I guess).

I know when it was first recommended to us I had visions of Randy Quaid in "National Lampoon's Vegas Vacation" saying "I'll have some of the yellah and don't go skimpin' on me"... but really it was very good. I liked it much better than the Cape May Buffet at the Beach Club.

I must go to Chevys Mexican Restaurant in the Crossroads. It is fresh, sizzling and a reasonably priced. Great Margaritas. They make the guacamole at the table. YUMMO

We eat at Sweet Tomatoes all the time here. They always have a coupon so sign up for their Veg Club online or be a fan on Facebook and you'll get offers. It's generally buy two meals, two soft drinks and one meal is free. In Oregon, lunch is about $9, dinner about $11 for adults.

We love to get the stuffed pizza at Giordanos. My in-laws live in Chicago and we had the stuffed pizza with them while visiting a few years ago. While in Orlando last fall, we were driving back to our rental house and I saw a Giordanos! I proclaimed we must have it for dinner the next night. Not exactly health food, but mmm... cheesey goodness. :love:
http://www.giordanos.com/floridalocations.html

Another vote for Giordanos, Sweet Tomatoes and Bahama Breeze. Would also like to add the huge, affordable, yummy menu at Orlando Ale House and Flippers pizza.

:banana:

We tried it on our trip 2 weeks ago. I had a coupon thanks to the recommendations of everyone on this site. We loved it so much we went back for dinner a 2nd night and paid full price :scared1: It wasn't terrible but dinner for 2 adults and 2 kids (5 and 7) with only 2 drinks was just under $35 so it isn't cheap but we loved it and it was better than paying Disney prices

This may not be what you are looking for, but we went to Steak N' Shake for the first time on our last trip and we could not believe how good and inexpensive it is. It is essentially a burger joint that has amazing milk shakes. There are so many combos that were $4.99 or less. Kids eat free on the Sundays. http://www.steaknshake.com/menu/menu.asp We went to this location :
12163 S. Apopka-Vinland Rd. Lake Buena Vista-Disney Area; SR 535, Apopka Vineland, Crossroads, LBV
Orlando, FL 32836

Another vote for Giordano's and Sweet Tomatoes. We especially love Sweet Tomatoes in the summer as the salads and lighter fare tend to agree with us better in the oppressive summer heat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter