Motion Sickness -- Newer Attractions -- Galaxy's Edge, etc.

BriannaRuth

DIS Veteran
I've seen a couple references to this on some of the bigger threads, but nothing that recent, so -- for those of you who have motion sickness problems, how are the newer attractions? It's been 2 years since I've been to DL. I do use a Relief Band, which helps.

I can do Indy and Star Tours. I used to be able to do Tower of Terror, but when I went on it after they changed the drop sequences for Guardians ... TERRIBLE motion sickness. I absolutely cannot do Space Mountain; that one knocked me out for the rest of the day. Generally avoid Incredicoaster but BTMRR is fine. Can't do Nemo due to claustrophobia.

Thanks!

I can't so Star Tours... it takes me out for the rest of the day. I have only done MFSR and was the engineer. As long as I didn't look up at the screen I was fine. I don't know how well I would do as pilot. For reference I can do Indy and BTMRR just fine and its just been in recent years Space and IC kinda messed with me. I am hoping for not an adverse reaction to ROTR.

I have severe motion sickness and wear a patch at Disneyland. I still can’t rise space mountain or Star tours, but Indy and big thunder are two of my favorites. I am guessing smugglers run is too much for me but will try anything once. Like you incredicoaster will get me for the whole day. Hopefully someone will chime in with good news for us!

I’m very prone to motion sickness. I have to take Dramamine before riding Star Tours or teacups & then a I’m ok. Without taking something I get super nauseated. With MFSR I’ve ridden both with & without the Dramamine, but haven’t gotten sick so far. If you have something that works for you on Star Tours, I have no doubt it will work for you on MFSR.

I don’t get super motion sick but I got a tiny bit nauseous on Smugglers Run. I had no issues on Rise of the Resistance. My mom normally gets really bad motion sickness on Star Tours and sometimes on Guardians of the Galaxy but she had no problems on either ride in SWGE.

I've seen a couple references to this on some of the bigger threads, but nothing that recent, so -- for those of you who have motion sickness problems, how are the newer attractions? It's been 2 years since I've been to DL. I do use a Relief Band, which helps.

I can do Indy and Star Tours. I used to be able to do Tower of Terror, but when I went on it after they changed the drop sequences for Guardians ... TERRIBLE motion sickness. I absolutely cannot do Space Mountain; that one knocked me out for the rest of the day. Generally avoid Incredicoaster but BTMRR is fine. Can't do Nemo due to claustrophobia.

Thanks!

I can’t do Space Mountain.... Incredicoaster bothers me but I can walk it off usually. If you can do Star Tours, Smugglers Run and ROTR should be a breeze. I have to close my eyes during ST and SR didn’t bother me one bit. Simulators usually make me super sick but I think I was so distracted helping my four year old co pilot, I didn’t have time to get sick! My dad said he had to close his eyes for a bit- he gets as motion sick as I do- probably more so, but he was ok as gunner. ROTR didn’t bother him at all.

I just got back to my hotel after a busy day at DL. I use relief bands too that seem to help. Usually I feel a little dizzy after Space Mountain but today I was very nauseated afterwards. It was only the second ride of the day, so sat for a bit and then continued on. I can’t do Star Tours or any simulator rides usually, but was fine on Smugglers Run as a pilot (on a trip a few months ago) and today as a gunner I was a bit motion sick towards the end. I was a little motion sick on ROTR but not enough to not do it again - also it could have been blamed on Space Mountain earlier. I can do Guardians of the Galaxy once or twice before feeling a bit sick. Simulators and rides that spin are what I can’t handle. I did not take Dramamine or Bonine today but I’m sure it would have helped.

Someone mentioned it upthread, but a second vote for Scopalamine (the 'patch'). I wore it at WDW and did ST for the first time in 7 years as well as Flight of Passage (twice!) and Expedition Everest. I wasn't brave enough to try it on Space Mtn, though.

The only rides at DL I have problems with are SM, ST, the 'old' Screamin', & teacups. The rest don't bother me (yet).

Someone mentioned it upthread, but a second vote for Scopalamine (the 'patch'). I wore it at WDW and did ST for the first time in 7 years as well as Flight of Passage (twice!) and Expedition Everest. I wasn't brave enough to try it on Space Mtn, though.

The only rides at DL I have problems with are SM, ST, the 'old' Screamin', & teacups. The rest don't bother me (yet).
Does it make you tired at all? I can’t take Dramamine because of that

I have had patches prescribed, the last three times I took Meclizine that my doctor prescribed to me. I've tried all the OTC stuff and nothing has ever worked. The rides that make me sick are any roller coaster, even little ones and any simulator. I bought myself an Emeterm band for this next trip. I tested it out on a very windy road that usually makes me super sick, my husband took the corners at a normal speed, (he usually slows way down), and I looked down at my phone the whole time to test the band. I didn't get sick at all. I'll be taking it with me to DL February 29th to March 4th and will report back if it does anything. It helps with my vertigo that I get as well. I have high hopes that it works at DL and then I can go on rides I haven't been on in years. It's kind of spendy and it feels weird because it sends little zaps to your hand but if it works I'm so down to wear it!

I tried this with our last trip to WDW in 2018 and it worked well for me, for what it's worth.

Starting about 2 days prior to flying (2+ hour flight, i'm good when it's a smooth flight but I can have issues with prolonged turbulence) I took a dose Bonine at bedtime. Bonine is a non-drowsy OTC motion sickness med and lasts 24 hours. Even though it's non-drowsy it can still cause a bit of sleepiness in some people for the first hour or two, so taking it at bedtime can help with that. By starting a few days before the trip it really gets into my system. I just kept taking it at bedtime and didn't have a single issue all trip. The only rides I actively avoided were Tea Cups and Mission Space (spin-y rides are my kryptonite), I didn't want to push my luck. ToT, Space Mountain, Rockin' Roller Coaster, Test Track, Star Tours, Dinosaur - I did all the big ones. Full disclosure, I don't tend to have motion sickness issues on coasters anyway, but every year my motion sickness seems to get worse so I fear the day may come where I can't even do those without problems, so now I just take Bonine regardless.

Does it make you tired at all? I can’t take Dramamine because of that

Not at all. I had two side effects; cotton mouth which just made me drink more water (not a bad thing) and a very slight visual disturbance for the first day (this is a rare and temporary side effect). All things considered it was worth it to be able to ride the things I really wanted to ride, especially riding Flight of Passage. Originally I was really, really sad about having to forego it. I plan to use the patch from now on.

If you decide to try it, be sure you read and follow instructions. I put my first patch on the night before our first day in the Parks.

I can do Indy and Star Tours...

Star Tours affects me lightly depending on the scene (the Hoth one is probably the worst for me, sliding down the snow chute), none of the newer attractions in Galaxy's Edge affect me at all. Nothing in Rise of the Resistance causes problems for me at all.

Also interestingly, the new Rise fo Skywalker planet scene they added to Star Tours does not affect me either in terms of motion sickness, even though it seems like it would be worse even than the snow slide scene. I think they may have got better at synchronizing the motion or video or something so the scenes do not have as strong an effect on people prone to motion sickness.

I have some trouble with Star Tours (haven’t done it in three years now) but none with BTMRR, SM on IJ. However, the last two or three times I did SR, I definitely felt queasy. I had to look away from the screen because with every second, I grew closer and closer to throwing up. I don’t especially like it as a ride anyway so no big loss. I can’t enjoy it fully because I’m so often distracted by an unnecessary task (weapons or engineering). I’ve yet to be a pilot but I suspect it’ll be much the same. The good news is (for those who have asked) that ROTR gave me zero trouble. I never expected that it would but a few posters have asked.

Does anybody see the irony here? The OP is asking about motion sickness, and her avatar shows (what I am assuming) her on the Teacups!

I cannot do Star Tours. If you can do Star Tours I'd guess you'd be fine on MFSR. MFSR has made me sick both times so I'm done with it. I can do BTMRR and Indy just fine. RotR gave me no problems at all. The motion part is very tame and very short.

I bought myself an Emeterm band for this next trip.

I looked up the Emeterm band you're referring to, and it looks like the Relief Band I've used for several years, which did wonders for me! I still can't do Space or GotG even while I do wear it, but I can do alot of other things I thought I'd never be able to do, such as Star Tours and Indy. Good luck!

Does anybody see the irony here? The OP is asking about motion sickness, and her avatar shows (what I am assuming) her on the Teacups!

LOL! Those are my kids. ;) Although when they were toddlers and I took them to the park for the very first time, I was able to do the Teacups with my Relief Band on -- once -- only as long as we didn't spin our cup at all. Now they're way too old and I'd never dare get on a teacup with them!

Thanks!

Omg I thought it was just me or GoG vs ToT. I think it is because it is loads of short drops. This made me sweat, feel really weird in my head, nausea that was not productive, and Feel so bad I had to drink water and sit at a table for at least an hour or more. It was really bad. Yet TOT I even did the extra drops in the dark thing they did before closing it forever and was FINE. Crazy. So now I am thinking it is the changes to the drops not that I ate first. And I may have to pass on this ride in future.

Incredicoaster I hit my head on sides and it makes me feel kinda ick in my head like Space Mountain. I can walk it off. And I close my eyes on the little loop.

If Space Mountain were any longer of a ride I would not be able to walk it off (I can't ride this then go straight back with fast pass ick).
Tea cups I pic spots farther out and look at them and make hubby not spin much.
Star Tours I am fine unless I am on edges, it varies based on which selections of places I get too, but even then I can still walk it off.
I can do BTMRR and Indy just fine (with my hands in the air even for BTMRR.)
I assume RotR I will be able to do. Most people say they had no trouble that are sensitive to what I am.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter