Motion sick meds

PrincessAbby'sMom

DIS Veteran
What does everyone use? Do you use over the counter or prescription from the doctor? What works best?

Never cruised before, but all 3 of us get motion sick/car sick, so preparing for it.

Our family has tried many products, but "Sea-Band Anti-Nausea Ginger Gum" is the one we recommend. "Safe, all natural relief of nausea, gluten free". Our grandchildren are fine with it. Not a pill. Easy-to-chew gum. I buy it at CVS. Not just for cruising - good for cars, morning sickness, chemo etc.

What does everyone use? Do you use over the counter or prescription from the doctor? What works best?

Never cruised before, but all 3 of us get motion sick/car sick, so preparing for it.

I don't use anything :yay:, but DH has used the patch and sea-bands (different times). Both seemed to work fine for him. He only uses the patch if the seas get really rocky. On days that the sea is calm, he's even gone without the sea bands.

Being the mom, I always have Bonine, ginger pills, ginger ale, and Motion-Eze with us, just in case.

Motion-Eze is an oil that you rub behind the ear(natural ingredients) for motion sickness.

I used the Motion-Eze for the first day or two on our first cruise, because I didn't know if I would need anything. After that, I took a chance and didn't use it anymore. Turns out, I apparently don't need it.

For the cruise itself I'll probably just wear my sea bands. For the catamaran we are taking, I'll use dramamine non-drowsy. I've used that for YEARS when I go diving--I don't wanna fall asleep 80 ft underwater!

We use Bonine. We take it the night before the cruise and then each night there after. We have never had an issue.

I get car sick pretty easily and when planes land. My first cruise I didn't use anything and was fine except for one evening when there was a storm and just laid down and slept through it, it happened around dinner time.

This time my gf is deathly afraid of being sick, so we're bringing patches to be safe.

Honestly the BEST thing I have ever used was stuff called "cola syrup". You can find it at most pharmacies like CVS....it really works. :thumbsup2

bahacca said:
For the cruise itself I'll probably just wear my sea bands. For the catamaran we are taking, I'll use dramamine non-drowsy. I've used that for YEARS when I go diving--I don't wanna fall asleep 80 ft underwater!

What are sea bands?

The most effective medication I've taken is Zofran, but its a prescription. For over the counter I still stand by Benadryl. Yes, you may get drowsy but it works great for motion sickness.

What are sea bands?
Sea bands are these little stretch bands that have a knob on them that places pressure on the inside of your wrist. It's one of those things that either work for you or doesn't. I find they work really well for me short term. I took a Sea Plane trip in Alaska, and the Sea Bands worked perfectly.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/sea-band-wristband/ID=prod2662944-product

For longer trips or cruises, I use the patch. I find that as long as I put it on a few hours before the trip starts, and replace it every 3 days like you're supposed to, they are wonderfully effective. Some people have reactions to the patch, and can't wear them. So I highly recommend you try one on well before you go on your cruise to see if you react to it or not. I actually recommend that for any sea sickness remedy! (For example, Bonine really knocks me out. But a lot of folks, it doesn't make them sleepy at all. So you want to know which way it affects you ahead of time. Nobody wants to sleep through their cruise!!!

I also agree that the ginger gum can be a good short-term treatment.

Sayhello

sayhello said:
Sea bands are these little stretch bands that have a knob on them that places pressure on the inside of your wrist. It's one of those things that either work for you or doesn't. I find they work really well for me short term. I took a Sea Plane trip in Alaska, and the Sea Bands worked perfectly.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/sea-band-wristband/ID=prod2662944-product

For longer trips or cruises, I use the patch. I find that as long as I put it on a few hours before the trip starts, and replace it every 3 days like you're supposed to, they are wonderfully effective. Some people have reactions to the patch, and can't wear them. So I highly recommend you try one on well before you go on your cruise to see if you react to it or not. I actually recommend that for any sea sickness remedy! (For example, Bonine really knocks me out. But a lot of folks, it doesn't make them sleepy at all. So you want to know which way it affects you ahead of time. Nobody wants to sleep through their cruise!!!

I also agree that the ginger gum can be a good short-term treatment.

Sayhello

That's what I thought they may be, darn - those dont work on me!

Bonine, one a day, every morning starting with the morning of the day we board.

DH swears by "Bonine". One pill a day. No side effects.

I agree. My wife has severe motion sickness. It took me 25 years to get her on a cruise. We went last year and she was 100% ok. She took one bonine every day and it worked great! The key was start taking it 2 days before the cruise, take it every day of the cruise and 2 days after. That way it is already in your system when you start your cruise. The best thing is it is available at any drug store and it did not make her tired at all.

I agree. My wife has severe motion sickness. It took me 25 years to get her on a cruise. We went last year and she was 100% ok. She took one bonine every day and it worked great! The key was start taking it 2 days before the cruise, take it every day of the cruise and 2 days after. That way it is already in your system when you start your cruise. The best thing is it is available at any drug store and it did not make her tired at all.

You'll laugh at this and I'm sure you'll relate.

Our very first cruise, we were literally pulling away from the pier and DH says "OH, I don't think I'm going to like this, I feel sick. The boat is rocking." I said "Oh stop, it is not." He says "It is too. Look at the pool." I looked at the pool and sure enough the water was going back and forth from side to side. I then said "Well, don't look at the pool!" (Mind you, it couldn't have been that the diabetic had one of those sweet sailaway drinks.....)

We then go to the late dinner seating and we sit down (with strangers). He's the friendly, talkative one. We all introduce ourselves. Place our orders and he turns to me and says "I need to go back to the room. I'll see you later." He then leaves me sitting at the table with all strangers. I'm at the opposite end of everyone and the other people for our table never showed up so there I am sitting all by myself.

The next night he was fine, having taken the Bonine when he got up. We get to dinner and the one man says to DH "Hey, I felt the same way. In fact, when we get to St. Maarten, I'm going to kiss the ground." Don't you know it, when we all got off (same excursion), he got down on all fours and kissed the pier. He started taking the Bonine too and was fine the rest of the trip.

You are right. DH starts taking it the day before we go and takes it one day more than the cruise. We've been on a total of 4 cruises after that ill fated one and he can't wait to go on the next. :thumbsup2

DisneyOHFan said:
We use Bonine. We take it the night before the cruise and then each night there after. We have never had an issue.

I do the same thing and it works great! I also take it 1-2 days after I get off the ship and it helps getting my "land legs" back. Good luck.

Motion Sickness - Everything you EVER wanted to Know

This information was posted by Hydster on 9/20/2004. It is the most complete information that I have seen (and I agree with all of it - especially the part about trying the meds out at home BEFORE you leave on your trip)

Note: any references in the following to "me", "my", "mine", "us", "I", "DW, DH, DD, DS" are refering to Hyster and her family not me or my family. -JRA-

Note2: It's been years and years and years and years since I've reposted this on the DIS. It might need to be updated with newer / additional med/remedies. -JRA- (Feb 13, 2013)

Note3: I take a strict regimen of Dramamine EVERY day while visiting Disneyland / World, any other theme park. (I prefer the less drowsy since its once per day, the normal stuff does NOT put me to sleep). I have never had any issue on any of the DCL ships (have now cruised all four of them:banana:), and do not take any meds. BUT before going on any snorkeling trips, I fully dose up on the meds (1 the night before and 2 the morning of (yes that's one more in 24 hours than you are supposed to take, but it helps to keep me feeling OK). -JRA- (Feb 13, 2013)

So I revised my motion sickness stuff and added a few tips given from WVMD (it was his idea and a darn good one at that)and so now here is the new REVISED motion sickness information. -Hydster-

Sea Bands and Relief Bands

Sea bands are a terry cloth type band that you wear on your wrist. It has a white knob that if positioned correctly CAN put pressure on the wrist pressure point. Here is a website with a picture of a Sea Band

http://www.etravelergear.com/noqmotdiswri.html

These bands are very cheap but beware that since they rely on hitting a specific spot in your wrist it is possible that they will not work very well. They did not work well on me or my husband as our pressure point is too deep. The spot it is supposed to sit on is called the NeiGuan Pressure Point (P6) if you want to research that pressure point.

The Relief Band is a sort of watch looking contraption that actually shocks your wrist with a shocking impulse that is supposed to help with motion sickness as well. It is quite pricey and in the same sort of category as the Sea Bands where if they work I hear they work great but if they don’t work well you hopefully have another method with you. Here is a website with what these are:

http://www.reliefband.com/

We found them at a local store for about 70 dollars but ended up returning them as they didn’t work for either of us.

These two options are nice if you don’t want to take any medication but please beware that there is a chance that they will not work and make sure you have a backup method.

The Transderm Scop patch is a patch that contains scopolamine and you put it on behind your ear and wear it continually for 3 days at a time. Can have irritating side effects but, most people complain of a dry mouth. Wear the patch for a day or two prior to going on the cruise to see if you can tolerate it. It is a prescription only medication. Drug clears rapidly from the system - hence the need to wear the patch - so side effects should be resolved in 4-6 hours after removing the patch. You MUST be diligent about washing your hands after they come in contact with the patch and if you accidentally touch it and touch your eye(s) they can dilate your pupils and give you symptoms much worse than seasickness alone! These patches work well for some but have a higher rate of allergic reactions than other forms according to my pharmacist (take that for what it's worth). Their website is http://www.transdermscop.com/site2/
I would suggest that you read the side effects in the patient information section. I didn’t try this out at home before we left on our first cruise and I ended up in the cabin sick with a nasty headache, upset stomach, dizziness, dilated pupils and miserable. Turns out I am highly allergic to scopolamine and didn’t know it! I would suggest if you plan on using this you try it out at home first to make sure that you are not allergic to it. I have also heard that there is a new scopolamine product called Scopace that gives the same benefit as the patch but with fewer side effects. Ask your doctor if you want to go this way if they think it is good for you and your body.

Then there are the over the counter drugs like Dramamine, Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and the active form of Bonine and Dramamine Less Drowsy which is Meclizine.

Dramamine is a dimenhydrinate and it has the ability to make you really really sleepy! I'd suggest trying these methods out at home before you go as well to see how they react especially if they make your extremely tired and if you drink how you react with alcohol. Original Dramamine can be used in small children although not under the age of 2 but can make them extremely tired and agitated. Here is their website
http://www.pfizer.com/do/counter/di..._dramamine.html

Dramamine Less Drowsy and Bonine are actually Meclizine. You can generally buy Meclizine over the counter (although some pharmacy's keep it behind the counter) but without a prescription and the Meclizine is generally cheaper. We get 100 Meclizine tablets for 8.00 where we get 12 Bonine for 8.00 so the difference is a big deal to us! Meclizine, Bonine, Dramamine Less Drowsy are all antihistamines such as Benadryl. We usually start taking this medication 2-3 days before we leave and continue to take 1 pill every morning until we have been home for at least 2 days. Our pediatrician told us we could give a 1/2 of a 12.5 mg pill to our older kids and my dd needed it but my 2 boys did not. They didn’t suffer from motion sickness at all but my 9 year old did suffer. I would also suggest trying this out at home before you go as well. Better to lose a weekend than a whole trip! Here is an online pharmacy (prices are outrageous) but it has some good information on Meclizine http://www.online-health-pharmacy.c...y_meclizine.php

Antivert - Prescription version of Meclizine - no difference in strength/ingredients - just price!

Claritin = Loratadine - Not as effective for most people - makes very few people drowsy

Any antihistamine has the potential to help with seasickness. Remember if you are already taking an antihistamine - start at the lower doses of meclizine - as there can be an additive effect

Alcohol can intensify the side effects of all of these medications!

There are also Ginger tablets or candy that you can take with you to help with nausea and generally you can buy them in any health food store. As with the relief bands since they are "natural" and not a drug it would be hard to try them out before you go so make sure you take a backup method as well. Also some people find that mint is helpful as well. I believe these are in the same kind of category where ginger and mint have a calming effect on the stomach. Another short term trick is to eat a green apple. Our servers told us this on one of our cruises and it did help when I was already feeling ill. It kept my stomach somewhat calm UNTIL the meds took effect.

For children, Benedryl is supposed to help them overcome motion sickness

As you can see there are many ways to combat seasickness but you need to make sure that you pick the right one for you!! I honestly can’t say this enough but make sure you try whatever medication you can out at home before leaving on your trip so that you can deal with the side effects at home. A trip to the ships' doctor is quite costly and MOST insurance require that you pay for the treatment up front and then submit a claim to get reimbursed. I know my one trip to the ships doctor cost me over 200 dollars because I had to get an anti-nausea shot, diagnosis, more medication and I lost 3 days of my trip! Remember it is a lot easier to prevent sea sickness than it is to cure it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter