More Windsor Hills Questions...

Anc96

DIS Veteran
I see how popular Windsor Hills is, and it seems to get great reviews here.

I have some questions about the up front deposits and refund policies.
There is one unit I am looking at.. it requires a $100 non-refundable deposit per week (we would be doing at least 2 weeks) and also a $250 deposit for a safe guard against breakages or damage, which is said to be released 15 days after departure if no damages are found.

Cacellation/Refund Policy is
more than 6 weeks, just the deposit is lost
4-6 weeks, half the full amount is lost (full pmt must be made by 6 weeks)
2-3 weeks, you get back %25.
less than 2 weeks you lose everything.

No early checkin... no late checkout (it would be subject to charges on your $250 deposit).

Is the the normal policy for most places. And, if so, does normal trip insurance cover this type of rental?

I've never had to cancel my reservations luckily, but I still always use trip insurance just in case. In a case of renting one of these units and all the policies involved, I'd want to know I was fully insured before paying all the deposits and costs.

TIA to anyone who could help.
Anc96

The policy with the WH owner I rent from is:
$200 deposit
--Cancel up to 30 days prior - $50 admin fee
--Cancel 29 to 14 days--25% of the total rental
--Cancel 13 to 7 days--50% of the total rental
--Cancel 6 to 3 days--75% of the total rental
--Cancel 2 days to arrival date--NO REFUND

The one you are looking at sounds pretty strict.

I have looked at a lot of cancellation policies and they are all over the board in terms of strictness. While most of the policies are total rip-offs (in my opinion - if I cancel 9 months in advance I see no reason for them to take my money when they are just going to rent it to someone else!), I have found a few owners that have what I consider to be reasonable policies. We just returned from a stay at WH a few weeks ago, and the owners at the condo we stayed at did not require a security deposit. There is no cancellation fee if you cancel 60 days out or more. If you cancel within the 60 days, they will try to re-rent the unit for your dates, and once they do (which they say they always have), you get your entire deposit back and owe nothing. If you're looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom condo, theirs are very nice and the owners are terrific as well. Website is:

http://www.vacationcentralflorida.com/home.html.

It depends on who you rent from. From what Ive seen when searching for a TH there, the ones owned by management companies have the kind of policies youre talking about. The ones for rent directly thru the owners arent so strict. We rented one that is very simple - $200 deposit - 100% refundable if more than 30 days prior to date. No security deposit either. The deposit I made comes off total due. Try vrbo.com.

Thank you for all the replies!

I did think that the policy seemed pretty harsh, but I had nothing to compare it to. Now I do see the "policy" links on the Windsor Hills site. I will check that when I get replies.

Thank you Mrswh... I will try that link.

I originally put in my dates (they are flexible for about 3 weeks, I'm looking for 2 weeks) on the Windsor Hills site and I have LOADS of responses. The rates vary from $88 a night - $200 per night, for VERY similar looking condos.

I'm booking so much later that I usually do. I just can't seem to get very good rates this year, and with my dd becoming a "disney adult" (that makes the dining plan out for us since she still prefers chicken fingers and mac&cheese), I was looking for a more economical option. More space, and the ability to make meals at a condo, seems very appealing.

I am nervous about doing this... but Windsor Hills seems reputable.
Wish me luck!

Thank you all again..
Anc96

Thank you for all the replies!
I originally put in my dates (they are flexible for about 3 weeks, I'm looking for 2 weeks) on the Windsor Hills site and I have LOADS of responses. The rates vary from $88 a night - $200 per night, for VERY similar looking condos.

I am nervous about doing this... but Windsor Hills seems reputable.
Wish me luck!

Thank you all again..
Anc96

Once you find the ones that you really like, I would suggest contacting them by phone. I did that after getting a quote from the owner of the condo we are renting and after being on the phone with her for a bit and talking about my family and what we are hoping to get out of the trip, she out of the blue said that she would give us one night free. I think what did it was the more personal phone call than the email. Good luck finding a place. I'm sure you will love it.

Just for your reference, we always rent from www.disneyneighbor.com. This will be our third trip with them. Their units are spotless, they have great rates and are wonderful to work with.

Good luck with your search.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter