"more than two kids" Going to the Poly and F.W.!!!

Aileen

Earning My Ears
Please Help!

My family of five, mom, dad and two boys ages 11 and 8 and a girl who is 5, are hoping to go to Disneyworld in October or November 2001 (value season). Can we book a trip there with only one or two months notice? I wanted to go when it wasn't too hot, or too crowded, or too expensive. Is there such a time? We've never been and know absolutely zilch about Disneyworld. I've surfed this site a little bit and the "official" Disney site, but am still overwhelmed!

First off, all the rooms at the different resorts, even deluxe, seem to sleep only four. What do larger families (I know you're out there) do about this? Do you have to book two adjoining rooms?

Also if anyone could give me an idea of what the weather is like in Fall, Winter and Spring months. When does it rain most or when would you absolutely not want to be there?

How do I pick a place to stay? We don't really want to go value category, but if we are going to need two rooms we probably can't afford deluxe. Do any of the Disney moderate resorts have two-room suites?

Sorry, let me pick your brain one last time: If you had to pick three things (rides, character breakfasts, meals, shows, etc.) you would not want to miss at Walt Disney World what would they be?
Thanks in advance!!!! The Novice

Welcome to the wonderful world of Disney vacation planning! You're in for quite a ride, especially on short notice!

First of all, yes, you can get a room for 5 at a reasonable rate. Try Port Orleans at Disney. Some rooms there have trundle beds, which will be perfect for your 5yo. (The part of the resort with the trundle beds used to be called Dixie Landings, and if you have old guide books that's what you'll see it called.) Call NOW to make reservations. Also, check http://www.mousesavers.com before you call. The woman who started that web page collects discount codes (for fun, I think!) for Disney resorts, rental car places, etc. We got a room at All Star Music for $49 a night using one of the discount codes from mousesavers. I don't know what you'll be able to find for Port Orleans, but it's worth a shot. It's definitely worth it to stay on-site at Disney, but there are lots of off-site hotels if you can't find one on site. Post a question on the resorts board here on the DIS and I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions on places to stay.

I'm sure others will be along to post more advice...I have a toddler pulling on my arm, but I may post more for you later!

From my passporter book, here is the list of Disney on-site hotels that sleep 5 or more: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Boardwalk Inn/Villas, Contemporary, Disney Institute, Dolphin, Fort Wilderness Cabin, Grand Floridian, Old Key West, Polynesian, Port Orleans, Swan, and Yacht Club. There are also so terrific prices on off-site hotels for fall stays such as the Holiday Inn Maingate East with Kidsuites for about $60 per night. Only you know if off-site will work for your family.

The weather is still nice in the fall although many people do not swim and sometimes the water parks are closed for refurbishing. Not much rain when we went in October many years ago. Most rain is summer I believe.

I have three sons and they are the same ages as your three kids. My oldest two boys most are looking forward to: 1. Space Mountain 2. Tower of Terror 3. DisneyQuest 4. Rock n Roller Coaster 5. Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular. I have no girl experience, but if she likes the princesses, she'd probably enjoy having a meal in Cinderella's castle and meeting a few princesses.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Carla

I second checking mousesavers. If you are flexible on your dates you may be able to get one of the code rates. Also don't rule out a deluxe, some of the discount rates posted are less than rack rate at the moderates. You might also look at the cabins at Fort Wilderness. You can sleep 6 or 7 I think and have a full kitchen to eat a few meals.

Keep posting your questions and someone will know the answers. I am sure that you will find a time to visit WDW that fits your budget.

Aileen, welcome to the best boards around!!! I've been reading and posting since January to prepare for our November trip - it's very addictive (as you can see from my number of posts).

I don't know how long you're planning to go for, but we were able to snag an AP (annual pass) rate at the Contemporary for $154 (with tax). It's a wing room and does sleep five. (We're also a family of 5 - our kids are 8, 5, and 2) If you're going for 8 days or more, you might consider purchasing an AP (8 days is the break even point on cost - and you can go back within 1 year!) The AP can get you significant savings on resorts - but it is based on availability.

Definitely check out mousesavers.com - Mary has incredible information on her web-site. I check this site and that one every day. I've not only saved on my resort ressie, but I've gotten some incredible deals on Disney books. I got the 2001 Official WDW guide book for $3.95.

Good luck with you planning!
Beth

I know the options stink with 3 kids! We usually take my parents along, get connecting rooms and give them a kid or two! This trip we are going alone. By the time they added in the trundle bed for PO Riverside it was just a little more to stay at the Contemporary. The rooms are bigger and so are the beds. Look for discounts on Mousesavers.com.

Another option for a larger family is one of the Disney Home-Away-from-Home resorts. We're a family of 5, but ended up reserving a 2BR villa at OKW because our best friend was supposed to come along (found out he couldn't make it yesterday :(.) I bought an annual pass since my eldest DD and I are returning alone in Nov-Dec, and for the extra $80+ over a park hopper, I saved almost $1000 for our 5 night stay. The rate we're paying is less than the rack rate of some of the deluxes, and we get 1300 sq. ft. of living area, two baths and bedrooms, a living room and kitchen. Just having breakfast at the resort might pay for the AP :) You could also check out the DVC point rent board, as weekday rates seem pretty close to what we're paying. I've even heard of some people using EBay to rent DVC points for the Home-Away-from-Home properties, at ridiculously low rates.

Since our friend isn't coming anymore, I thought about calling CRO and seeing if we could switch to a 1 BR, but then decided, nah, live a little and enjoy the space :).

MB

:bounce: Thanks to all of you who responded. I've been spending a lot of time at the mousesavers.com website and making lots of phone calls and reading a lot more posts. I finally decided to book 4 nights at the Polynesian and 4 nights at Fort Wilderness (we couldn't decide between the two and have never been to either one) using one of the promotional codes from mousesavers. I got a garden view at the Poly for 179.00 and a cabin at F.W. for 139.00, those seemed like pretty good rates to me, I hope. Both places sleep five, although I think the cabin will be a lot roomier.

We are going to be there over Halloween and during two of my kid's birthdays. We are soooo excited!!
I already got tickets to the Halloween party from CRO (they were a little cheaper if you buy them in advance). This sounds very cool. Apparantly they close the M.K. at 7:00 p.m. and then those who have tickets to the Halloween party get to go trick or treating in the M.K. !!!!! HOW COOL IS THAT? There is also a parade I guess and other activities until Midnight. If anyone has been to the Halloween party and has any tips....

Now I can take a breather and figure out how I want to get park tickets. I also really wanted to book a character breakfast or Dinner on Nov. 1 and Nov. 3 my 8 and 5 year old's birthdays. I have one last shot at Cinderella's Royal Table, I have to call tomorrow morning at 5 a.m. (7 e.t.). If I can't get that, I've heard Chef Mickey's is great or Mickey and the Chipmunks at the Garden Grill at Epcot. Anyone been to these and can give a review?

Anyway, thanks again, this is a very cool discussion board!
Aileen

:cool:

Oh, you're going to have such fun!! You may want to post and read on the Camping at DisneyWorld board, too, to get lots of info about FW. Your kids will really enjoy the Chip and Dale campfire, sing-along and movie!

Barbara
266 days to go

I'm no expert on the hotels, but my 3 can't misses:
1. Early entry for Magic Kingdom: arrive 30 minutes before official early entry time and you will be able to enjoy almost every ride. When you look around and say to yourself: "where did all these people come from?" it's time to hop to another park (or back to the room for a rest).

2. Chef mickey's for a character meal. We did the dinner. The food was edible and the interaction with the "primary" characters made it very much worthwhile.

3. Fantasmic! show at MGM. Plan to get a seat about 1 hour before showtime. You can bring food in with you, so you might choose to eat dinner while waiting for the show to start. I was totally unprepared for how many people the stadium seated. I'd never seen anything like it, and 30 minutes before showtime it was at capacity. Don't plan on telling your party "We'll meet at Fantasmic, I'll look for you." You may never see each other again. ;)

Have a great time!

We too, had trouble with Cinderella! We ended up calling it Cinderella's Royal Nightmare! It was next to impossible to get through! But, you don't need to eat there to see princess herself...as a matter of fact, when we were there last May, I was told that she now spends most of her time in Mickey's Toontown under the tent! Save yourself some aggreavtion and go for Crystal Palace (Pooh & Friends) 1900 Park Fare (Mary Poppins) or Chef Mickey's for breakfast....or the Donald Duck Breakfastasaurus at AK. Whichever you choose, you really can't go wrong. Hope they enjoy their birthdays!

:(
Alas, we have been snubbed by Cinderella. I really didn't think I would get in with only one chance. I didn't know how to book the breakfast until I only had one more day to call for the dates we would be there.

:D
However, I have booked the Luau the night of my son's birthday and Mary Poppins and friends at the Grand Floridian on my daughter's birthday. So hey, we can't complain.!

Thanks for the advice on seeing Cinderella in Toon Town!! We'll definitely visit her.

Now, I've got to start thinking about getting park passes. . . . and what things we've just gotta do. . . . . but I won't think about that today, I'll think about that tomorrow. . .

You will love the Polynesian. We stayed there on our first trip when we brought our two nieces and our son. The day bed in the room was a twin sized bed and I spent several nights in it. My nieces slept together in one queen bed, my husband and son in the other. It was very comfortable. 1900 Park Faire is wonderful for breakfast. And the Halloween party is so much fun. We went that first year and had a great time. All five of us dressed up for the evening in costumes.

Weather temps were good, but we had a lot of rain since it was the first El Nino fall/winter.

While you are there, check out the Disney Vacation Club. We did our first time and signed up while we were there. Now we get to go twice a year and love it.

Ditto on the early entry. If you get to MK at 7:30 (normal opening hours 9) on early entry morning, you can do lots of rides before the park even opens to the rest of the world. And if you get there really early (like the first family at the gate- either side, they do two families), your family might be able to open the park. Our son has had the chance to say the magic word and open the park twice. He got a certificate and a special gift each time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter