Montana & Alberta, Canada - Trip Report, August 2017

Thanks so much for doing this report! This trip has been on my radar for a while. Those views are stunning!

Thank you! I wish my iPhone could have done this justice. The colors look extreme in some photos, and they do not even begin to capture the magnificence of what we saw. This is truly some of the most gorgeous stuff you can see in the US, Canada or anywhere. If you love the great outdoors, I cannot recommend this trip highly enough.

I didn't know Disney did a ABD trip to Banff (though I shouldn't be surprised, it is Banff, tourist capital of Capital of Canada). I live in Calgary so Banff, Lake Louise, and Waterton are practically my backyard. It's such a beautiful place, I'm glad more people are getting a chance to explore it. I got a chuckle out of your comment about the RCMP officer and the horse, nope they don't all ride, but Calgary just brought active police horses that are actually used in foot chases and patrols back this past year, cool random fact.

Thanks! You're going to love this one!
We are taking this ABD in Sept. 2018. I have 2 questions: On the white water rafting what do you wear? Do you go directly from there to the Red Bus Tour or can you change before? Was the strenuous hike to the tea house worth it? Did you see things you wouldn't have seen otherwise? Would you do it again? Thank you for your trip report. I know it takes quite a bit of time to do, but it really did help us.

My uncle is a retired RCMP officer and he gives talks to various groups quite frequently. He started policing in the (former) NWT (Great Slave Lake) and he travelled to the outlying regions by dog sled and would go for a two weeks at a time. He was the coroner, justice of the peace, police officer in charge, emergency doctor and anything else that required any measure of authority. He is also an amazing storyteller. And he did get assigned to a horse when he first joined the force because his height and weight fit the profile of what they were looking for at the time! At 91 years of age (he joined right out of high school at 18 years of age) he is one of the last surviving members of his generation of policing. He has written extensively about his time in the RCMP (nothing officially published).

We are taking this ABD in Sept. 2018. I have 2 questions: On the white water rafting what do you wear? Do you go directly from there to the Red Bus Tour or can you change before? Was the strenuous hike to the tea house worth it? Did you see things you wouldn't have seen otherwise? Would you do it again? Thank you for your trip report. I know it takes quite a bit of time to do, but it really did help us.

On the white water rafting, you have boots and a floatation jacket, but you're responsible for anything warm underneath that. You'll definitely want to carry spare socks with you that day.

As I recall, there's a bathroom when you get on the rafts where you could change before you go elsewhere, but I cannot swear that they use the same outfitter each time.

The hike to the tea house was lovely. I'd definitely do a part of it. I had broken my foot just before the adventure and did this hike with an orthopedic boot. That was the factor which made it challenging for me, but it IS a lot of uphill to reach the tea room. If you're used to going up hill with lots of uneven surfaces, you should enjoy the hike.

And to answer the rest of your questions, yes - I saw things on this tour which I would never have otherwise seen on my own. And even for those things which I would have said - yes, let's go there! - I had a better perspective of them seeing them with the tour. I would not do this specific tour again because I've already done it, but I would absolutely travel with ABD again. (I don't like repeating destinations unless I'm seeing something new.)

Please feel free to DM me if you have any other questions!

My uncle is a retired RCMP officer and he gives talks to various groups quite frequently. He started policing in the (former) NWT (Great Slave Lake) and he travelled to the outlying regions by dog sled and would go for a two weeks at a time. He was the coroner, justice of the peace, police officer in charge, emergency doctor and anything else that required any measure of authority. He is also an amazing storyteller. And he did get assigned to a horse when he first joined the force because his height and weight fit the profile of what they were looking for at the time! At 91 years of age (he joined right out of high school at 18 years of age) he is one of the last surviving members of his generation of policing. He has written extensively about his time in the RCMP (nothing officially published).

Sounds like your uncle has had amazing experiences!!! I wish I could read some of his writing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!