• Had tubes put in, it stopped the infections

• Had tubes, multiple infections continued

• Had tubes put in, one or two after the tubes

• Other (do tell)

• What are you talking about lady?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lewski709

<font color=green>I like my asparagus with butter
Have any of you had children that have passed the age of 5 without any ear infections?

#1 DS had tubes with one infection after and you could really tell the tubes helped. He had fevers up to 106, before the tubes.

DS#2 has had 2 infections now and I believe he is on his third. The poor kid is miserable and has been running a fever of 103 since Friday at 3pm.

I am curious if there are small kids who haven't had any and have passes the prone time for them?

My dd has had maybe 2 ear infections in almost 11 years. My ds had to have tubes put in right after his 1st birthday. He'll be 8 yo in July. His dr told him on Friday she wanted him to go back to his ENT to see about getting the tubes taken out. He's had about 5 ear infections in almost 7 years since he's had his tubes. Before the age of 1, he'd had about 10 ear infections.

DS11 & DS7 only had the few usual ear infections.

My DS had one ear infection after another as a little guy. He had tubes when he was really little. That cut down on the pain, but he still had ear infections. Finally, he got his tonsils out and had antrostomies (that's probabaly not the way you spell it) where they cut extra holes up into his sinus. I was told that they believed he'd had a blockage there for several YEARS! The poor kid couldn't be off of meds for more than a week before that surgery and it was like a miracle. He's now 16 and hardly ever sick.

With DD it was sore throats more than it was her ears, but she had ear infections too. She got tubes and had her tonsils out before we got her straightened out. Now she's almost 13 and seldom sick.

Both of mine have allergies and I think that added to their problems. This post is meant to give you hope. Kids do get better as they get older and the surgeries do help.

Both of my kids reached five without having ear infections. Since then, one DD has had about three ear infections and the other DD has two infected ears right now. It's her first ear infection in eight years!

My 7 y/ has never had an ear infection and only one was she on antibiotics. However, my 2 yo son has had one infection after the other since this past October. We are actually seeing the Dr on thursday to discuss the tubes. Then we have my 4yo dd and she is probably more typical I thinj she's had about 3 or 4 ear infections in her life.

DS #1 had a few ear infections, nothing serious.
DS#2 had problems and at the age of 3 he had tubes and never had another problem
DS#3 decided to have infection in both ears while we were at WDW when he was 11 mos. old.

They are now 24, 23 and 13 and hopefully those problems are over.

Here's my nightmare with ear infections-
12 months old-deaf with fluid buildup-first diagnosed infection
16 months- tubes(after many antibiotics)
20 months-tubes replaced after being clogged
22 months- tubes replaced again clogged(the drainage was really nasty!
2 years- adenoids removed-still getting infections
2 1/2- tonsils removed(No they wouldn't do them at the same time as the adenoids as much as I begged!)
Two Cat scans of mastoid bones-IM antibiotics at home(I'm a nurse)
3 years old- Mastoidectomy(its the bone behind the ear. Its supposed to be air cells but the fluid has been so bad it spilled into the bone filling the aircells. They take the top of the bone off and let it fill in with compact bone. the pressure in the bone was so great that the cells had migrated out of the bone and were in between the covering of the brain and the skull)
This did the trick, but the moral of the story is DS probably had his first ear infection that the pediatrician missed and called teething fevers at 9 months.

DS is an only child(for obvious reasons!!;) )Didn't sleep through the night until he was 3 1/2. I feel they should put tubes in in the delivery room!!!!!!(earlier placement of tubes would have corrected all of this early)

Both of my kids had numerous ear infections between 3 months and 5 or so years old. After 5, they really haven't had any to speak of (maybe one or two, and they're 10 1/2 and almost 12).

Never had tubes, as they typically had 3 or so a year, not enough for tubes.

Now both have had tonsils and adenoids out. Different story there.

Holly, now 6, had her first ear infection when she was 5 days old! She was prone to ear infections from 18 months til about 3. Fortunately, she never had to get tubes. She had one infection after another for about 6 months and we were thisclose to doing it. The doctor advised if she got one more we would do it. That threat seemed to be the cure. Summer came and cold season ended and she didn't get another one until the next winter. They became more sporadic (sp?) and now she averages one or two a year.

Daniel, now 11, had his first one when he was 6 weeks old and never got another until he was 4. He then got 2 or 3 a year for a couple years but hasn't had one in probably 3 years now.

Ella, now 14 months, had her first one, a very slight one, when she had the flu in December. Hopefully she will be my one child to not have them.

I had them frequently as a child and have developed one for the first time as an adult over this past weekend. Going to pick up my antibiotics in a little bit. :(

Well since I have 4 kids the voting was a little tricky. Ds #1 has had 1 ear infection. D #2 has had none. DS #3 has had one and ds #4 has had none yet. I had to have a tube put in my right ear about 5 years back due to my own tube not holding up to well.

DS#1 had maybe three ear infections in his life. One was discovered at his 15 month well check. :o The pediatrician was in disbelief, because it was a "rip-roarin' ear infection". Hey, nothing slowed Eric down when he was a toddler, and he never ran a temp over 101. I had no idea. :confused:

DS#2--that's a different story. Everytime Hunter went to the doctor, he had fluid in his ears. I knew it would be just a matter of time before it turned into an infection. :rolleyes: Tubes were finally put in when he was two. They worked great! No infections for about nine months when they fell out. Had a second set of tubes put in when he was three. They fell out a year later, and I don't think he's had an infection since then.

BTW, FTR, I did breastfeed for 6-8 months. :(

I see your little one is suffering right now with one; I am so sorry! Extra him a hug from me!

My DS who is now 13 suffered a lot with ear infections. He would get off antibiotics for a week, and we would be in again for another round. He never had tubes. DD #1 had a few but not like DS. DD #2 has had maybe two in her life and she is 6 right now. I don't know what could have been the difference between the kiddos, either.

DS had 13 ear infections from 12 monthes to 22 monthes, when we finally had tubes put in. He had a few after that, but w/out the pain. DS is now 6 and the tubes have since fallen out, since Nov. he has had 2 bad ear infections, he's usually pretty tough but both times he was brought to tears, the 2nd just last week. If he has another one, I'm going to mention having them put in again.

DD(4), on the other hand, has only had 1 ear inf. EVER. The one time she did, she had an allergic reaction to the meds (no penicillin based meds for her). The reaction was worse for her than the ears, she had hives from head to toe and itched. I guess it just goes to show, that all kids are different.

One of mine had quite a few ear infections prior to 19 months. The other 2 have never had one and are well past the age of 5.

My stepson who is now ten has several ear infections so we had to take him to the doctor-doesn't help with his mom having him still swim :rolleyes: .
My daughter who is below the age of two also had several but that is something common with babies.

my son's ear infections started at age 3 mths. after much deliberation (and many antibiotics) he had his first set of tubes at age 6 mths.
2nd set at 1 yr and 3rd set 1 mth after that

throughout all these he continued with constant infections
(total of 28) until age 3yrs.

he's now getting to the one year mark of no ear infections!
(oh no! i shouldn't say that 2 days before our wdw trip!)

Hey Lewski709! My DS-Josh turns 5 in July & so far, he hasn't had an ear infection. DD-Lainie is 14 months, so far so good with her, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!