• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Moment that made you think THIS is the Disney Difference

YachtClub1104

Earning My Ears
Does anyone have any vacation moments / stories from Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, Adventures by Disney, Disney Vacation Club, that made you think "this is the Disney Difference"?

I'll go first, so our first trip was in 2004 and we stayed at Disney's Yacht Club Resort (still my favorite resort) I was only 5 so I don't remember all that much, however, we returned once again in 2008. The cast member checking us in was asking if we had stayed with them before, and we said yes. Then the cast member asked us "How does it feel to be back?", and my mom replied saying "Well it is a little bittersweet, it's great to be back but a little bittersweet as my husband isn't with us anymore" this interaction was maybe 30 seconds. The cast member finished checking us in, and wished us a magical stay. The next morning, delivered to our room was a solid white chocolate Mickey Mouse statue, chocolate covered strawberries decorated with tuxedos, a fab five character photo autographed, and a note saying "Thank you for letting us bring a little magic back into your lives." This was the moment for us. Just a simple interaction, made magical by one cast members actions.

Mine was way back in '73' (yikes) I was 12 and I went to WDW with my sister and her family and we stayed in CR. The 1st time I walked into the area where the monorail came into the building, my sister said that my jaw dropped and I just stood there totally amazed. LOL I also remembered how nice the resort staff was and how they always talked to us and asked if there was anything they could do etc. But unfortunately, we have watched WDW keep taking perks and staff away, customer service and the quality of food drop a lot, all this while constantly raising prices. We are still WDW fans but that bubble has tarnished a lot over the years.

Our DD18 was treated like a Disney princess during our 2004 trip. Everywhere she went she was addressed as “princess.” The parks were literally empty. We went the second week of September and walked onto every attraction. The dining plan (which was free) included appetizers, entree, dessert, and drinks. We discovered the FWF, which made the trip even better! And we stayed at the Poly, which is where my family stayed when I was a kid in the 70s. It was a great trip!

Speaking of the 70s...I remember River Country. THAT was a water park. Loved the rope swing!

January 2021. ( And many other times previously) This time we had an ADR at Hollywood and Vine, but really were more hungry for the food and peaceful experience at Brown Derby. There were no ADRS or walkups available on the App. I walked up to Brown Derby where they were able to seat us. The Disney diffence came in when a cm at Brown Derby offered to walk over to Hollywood and Vine personally and ask them to cancel our ADR without a penalty. She was so nice!

May 2009. This was the year you could go for free on your birthday, so went to MK for my son’s 4th birthday—his first visit. Several cast members stopped us right by Sleepy Hollow, called out my son’s name, told him, “we have been looking everywhere for you!” Wrapped him in streamers and stickers, sang happy birthday, gave him a card signed by the fab 4 and a free funnel cake. I could not figure out how they knew his name or that it was his birthday. Later, I realized he was, of course, wearing a birthday button with his name on it, and they must have been waiting at that spot for any birthday kid to pass by. But it really was incredible.

May 2009. This was the year you could go for free on your birthday, so went to MK for my son’s 4th birthday—his first visit. Several cast members stopped us right by Sleepy Hollow, called out my son’s name, told him, “we have been looking everywhere for you!” Wrapped him in streamers and stickers, sang happy birthday, gave him a card signed by the fab 4 and a free funnel cake. I could not figure out how they knew his name or that it was his birthday. Later, I realized he was, of course, wearing a birthday button with his name on it, and they must have been waiting at that spot for any birthday kid to pass by. But it really was incredible.
Wow! That is so cool!

We did a split stay between UO and WDW in 1998 and knew that that we go back to both as often as we could (WDW for more days ---but still both for each trip.) Normally every year but our last trip was Dec 2019 (where we did a split between BC and HRH) --- our 2020 trip was scrubbed --- 2021 seems doubtful --- but we'll be back and do both in 2022 (fingers crossed on this...)

I think the Disney difference for us is the experience -- not any individual ride or memory --- although all our memories with our son have been with both --- equally awesome though -- he's 15 now.

When I was 5, we spotted Chip and Dale walking through Disneyland. As we started to approach, they went in a door. My mom turned to me and said, "Oh, we just missed them. They must be heading for a break." Chip must have somehow heard her, because the next thing I know, he's coming back out the door and making a beeline for me. I got a giant hug, and it made my day. Even at 5, I had a good idea that it was a person, and I knew that person went the extra mile just for me. It made me feel special. Who needs more pixie dust than that?

I have had a little bit of pixie dust during every trip, but the best was when the trip we took for my daughter's fourth birthday. First, we were at the Confectionary checking out all the treats, and DD was oohing and ahhing over everything. The CM behind the counter gave her one of the giant Mickey chocolate chip cookies dipped in chocolate, "Just because she's cute." Second, not only did she get a lot of "Happy birthday, Princess," she also got a lot of little presents - stickers, pins, cupcakes, ice cream - from the cast members. Finally, while in the pyramid in Mexico, we were looking at all the merch and another guest bought her a Donald stuffy in Mexican garb, just because she was such a sweet girl. It was a lovely trip all around.

My husband and I have done almost all of the behind the scenes tours offered at WDW and I have to say it makes you so much more aware of the time and effort that is really put into everything there. There are so many things that we would walk by and never notice that we now understand took a lot of planning, and has a lot of meaning. It has made us so much more appreciative every time we go now. I highly recommend doing any one of the tours, you will not be sorry and you will want to do them all. The Disney Magic is everywhere all around you and you could miss soooo much of it.

A couple of years ago while going through the gate by Epcot International Showcase entrance, I was wearing a Mass Effect: Andromeda hoodie (it was winter, and unseasonably cool that week). The Castmember manning the gate without hesitation said "Welcome, Pathfinder!" as I walked in (a reference to your character in that videogame). It really took me back, as you'd have to have some familiarity with that game to even recognize what I was wearing (it only had a subtle symbol on the sleeve, unlike like a big bold game title). I had to give that guy some props for a) recognizing it as we walked in and b) being quick enough to say something while we walked by.

Another standout experience was the character breakfast at Grand Floridian (Supercalifragilistic). The CM playing the Mad Hatter completely stole the show and had us cracking up. Our family still talks about his performance today (this was from a trip in 2014... not sure if the same guy still works there today or not). He was the living embodiment of the animated movie version of the Mad Hatter. Just spot on and very quick-witted. One of the funnier moments is when a server dropped a plate or glass that broke, and he took it as his exit cue for a break and shouted "I DIDN'T DO IT!!!" while sprinting out of the dining room. Or when he learned one of our party members had a birthday that day - they were getting food at the buffet (at the other end of the room). Instead of waiting for them to get back, the MH yelled across the room "HAY JEFF!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!"

Last edited:
Can’t recall the year but it was a long time ago. In fact the Disney experience gets worse and worse every yr now
I love all of the stories in here but sadly I sort of agree. I can’t say in our many trips I’ve ever seen or felt anybody go above and beyond industry norms. We’ve only been going for four years and I think a lot of the cost cutting and power being taken away from CMs has happened during that time. Even on birthdays or anniversaries, of which we were there on the actual days not celebrating it weeks/months later, there’s never been a free cupcake or anything or the sort. Although one time for one night we were upgraded to a one-bedroom because there was blood left on the bathroom door in our studio so maybe that counts? I wasn’t even looking for an upgrade but it’s was august 2020 when covid was raging and I requested mousekeeping. They moved us instead.

Most, not all, of the stories in here are from years long gone so perhaps it’s just the changing times?

There's been plenty but all I can think of right now is when I was gifted a free churro. 😂 Hey that Disney Difference is a $6.25 value, okay.. and the memory = priceless.

My daughter's first visit when she was just shy of 6 - we were meeting my parents in Ft Myers Beach but we decided to spend two nights at Disney so my daughter could go. We had one park day - Magic Kingdom, of course. At rope drop we made a beeline for Fantasyland (this is pre-new Fantasyland) and as we were walking past the teacups Alice and the White Rabbit were right there. I pointed them out to my daughter and Alice came over and led DD to the teacups for a ride just the three of them. It was pure magic (and my avatar pic).

I love all of the stories in here but sadly I sort of agree. I can’t say in our many trips I’ve ever seen or felt anybody go above and beyond industry norms. We’ve only been going for four years and I think a lot of the cost cutting and power being taken away from CMs has happened during that time. Even on birthdays or anniversaries, of which we were there on the actual days not celebrating it weeks/months later, there’s never been a free cupcake or anything or the sort. Although one time for one night we were upgraded to a one-bedroom because there was blood left on the bathroom door in our studio so maybe that counts? I wasn’t even looking for an upgrade but it’s was august 2020 when covid was raging and I requested mousekeeping. They moved us instead.

Most, not all, of the stories in here are from years long gone so perhaps it’s just the changing times?
We've been going for 10 years and have received one upgrade in 20+ trips. We have encountered wonderful CMs but no more so than we encounter at other hotels/restaurants/resorts. We love Disney but have never experienced any of this magic, if "magic" means upgrades and freebies and experiences you can't get anywhere else, but we have gotten that from other hotels/restaurants.

We have had plenty of pixie dust, and have only been going since 2014, so I don't think it's something that's only a thing of the past. My kids have been given free cupcakes/desserts multiple times (it will never get old, they are so excited when it happens!). Once during the Halloween Party we were pulled aside and got to sit in the VIP area to watch the parade which was fantastic. We were so close to the characters and performers. At the same Halloween paryty, we were hitting up trick or treat stations very close to midnight. One of the CMs dumped a whole bowl of candy into DDs bag since the party was almost over. Her face was the best. We have come back to our room to find my kids' stuffed animals tucked into their own little spots on the bed. My favorite was our last trip in 2019 - DD and DH were going on Expedition Everest. My then four year old DS was visibly upset he couldn't ride too. A CM stopped us and gave us a little card with Expedition Everest on it and told us that when DS was tall enough to bring this card back and we would get a free fast pass ride on EE, which we will get to do when we go in July. It was the sweetest thing and cheered DS up immediately. This is why we keep going back, I love those little magic moments.

I love this positive thread! Thank you OP.
For our story. We booked a week at our favorite resort POFQ and mentioned that it was for our 50th wedding anniversary. This was 2 years ago.
We went to the parks early our first day, I think it was MK. When we got back into our room around 1pm, we found a beautiful bouquet of flowers in a heavy glass vase, cards from the characters and staff at POFQ, and a bag with a box in it which contained beautiful etched champagne glasses nestled in blue velvet. We checked for that specific glassware in every shop, but there was none that looked like it. It was such a surprise and so special. For the next few days, we received more cards in our room or stuffed under the door.
I thanked the management and staff for making our 50th such a wonderful experience.

Last edited:
I have three!

(1) Our very first trip, we were doofuses and did not budget nearly enough time to get back to the hotel from the park for our Magical Express bus, so of course we missed it and were running late. I went to the front desk to ask if there was another ME bus we could catch (not really understanding how they work), and the CM walked us to the front of the hotel, waved over a taxi (remember those, before uber/lyft?) and handed the driver a voucher to take us to the airport at no charge. It was totally our mistake and they didn't have to do that at all, but I remember just being floored at the level of customer service.

(2) My twins' 7th birthday was the first trip that they were tall enough for "the big rides" (they are total adrenaline junkies) and we were spending their bday at AK. They piped up to a CM near ride loading area that it was their first time riding EE and they were so excited! He saw their bday pins and promptly whisked them away to the front row. They loved it so much that we got back in the line and rode it again, and again the CM gave them their "VIP seats" in the front row. They still talk about that every time we go back to AK.

(3) My youngest was around 2 when we went to eat in H&V. As we were walking through the restaurant he saw the characters and broke into a run toward them and of course, tripped and landed flat on his face HARD. He had a bloody lip and started wailing like a banshee, so I picked him up and cuddled him but he was inconsolable. Minnie tapped me on the shoulder and gestured me to hand set him down, and she knelt down and held out her arms and he instantly went quiet and gave her the biggest hug. He stayed there hugging her for several minutes, and each time I tried to call him away Minnie shook her head and kept hugging him close until he finally stepped away. I'll never forget the look of pure love on his little tear-smudged face.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter