MODS: Please tell me what is going on with my beloved DIS?

dzneprincess

This page intentionally left blank
It has gotten to the point that I can only DIS for 5-10 mins at a time, than I get the dreaded page unavailable. I do not get the server busy message. This is page unavailable. It usually stays that way for a good 15-30 minutes. This all started about 3 weeks ago maybe. I have just ignored it, thinking we were going theu growing pains, but it is getting frustrating. It seems like this is going to permanent? Can anyone elaborate on what is causing this? I know it is not me, I have asked at least twice and others are having some of the same problems.

Can you describe what you're seeing...

Is this happening at a particular time of day? On a particular forum? Is there anything you can think of that could help us figure out what's going on?

(I haven't seen this, or heard about others having problems like this recently.)

Maybe WebmasterCricket or WebmasterAlex will have some ideas... :confused:

hmm I haven't gotten any other complaints about this either. Could you show me where you saw other mentinioning this? It might help pin it down

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=653506&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

Above is a thread that I mentioned it in, and I got a reply back from moocow...I know I posted once in the CB also. I am off to find that...I also have this same title going on DCL board.I have gotten responses as well, although no1 seems to be having the exact same problem I am. Below is that thread.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=653506&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

OK i found the one I posted on the CB http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=645952
So based on the number of replies it seems to not be a widespread problem, but a problem nonetheless for those of us who are having it. :-(

KathyTx, It is all day every day. No matter what time I happen to be on. It will work like a charm for 10-30 mins, then I get the page unavailable. You know, the generic IE white backing with black type thing. I can hit refresh many times, clear cookies, etc etc it wont work until it wants to. I have asked my DH about it, and he says that page means it is the site I am trying to get to, not our computer.

I have been this one quite a bit of late..................

The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

blah, blah, blah (my blah's :))

In the past 2 weeks or so I've had to click the "reload" button every single time I open a new (or previously viewed) thread in order for all new posts to show up. As for the board itself not loading......I've had to restart my computer and then they often load right away. My email notifications are random at best---showing up days later sometimes.

Can anyone give me an idea when this started? I haven't experienced or seen it and this thread is the first I've heard of it.
Mia, what kind of email account do you use?

I post about this in the DCL thread, but I'll put it here also - In the DCL Meet thread for 10/23/2004 we have had a problem with disapearing posts. You do a reply type everything in, it looks normal, everyone seems to be getting the email notification that you posted, you show up as the last poster, BUT the post cannot be seen in the thread. We have figured out that if you do another reply and scroll down through the threads shown there, you can see it.

THis first seemed to start around 9/22/2004 and is mentioned several times on this page http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=458240&perpage=15&pagenumber=57

Hope this helps,

Pamela

Alex,
I have AOL and access my email through them. I have my preferences set to accept all mail. I stopped using the spam filters a long time ago because I wasn't getting alot of the mail I'm subscribed to. It's really pretty random. I can go a couple of days with no email notification from DIS and then all of a sudden they all show up ? Maybe it's an AOL thing ?

Alex,
I noticed I posted my origingal ? on the CB board back on the 16th of September and it had been going on for at least 2 weeks at that point. This is the page i get, and it happened again as soon as I posted my reply above with the thread links in them.
The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.
PS below is the IE page I get....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting).
Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

Originally posted by pdarrah
I post about this in the DCL thread, but I'll put it here also - In the DCL Meet thread for 10/23/2004 we have had a problem with disapearing posts. You do a reply type everything in, it looks normal, everyone seems to be getting the email notification that you posted, you show up as the last poster, BUT the post cannot be seen in the thread. We have figured out that if you do another reply and scroll down through the threads shown there, you can see it.

THis first seemed to start around 9/22/2004 and is mentioned several times on this page http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=458240&perpage=15&pagenumber=57

Hope this helps,

Pamela

Pamela, there was a poster in your thread who had some bad code in her countdown, and this was preventing anything posted on a page past one of her threads from displaying. I've removed the bad code and the pages should display normally now.

Please let us know if you still see a problem like this, where a page seems to abruptly stop. If you do, a link to a page where it's happening or the name of the last poster that's visible on a page would help us to locate and fix that problem.

princess: :sunny:

Now what? Any ideas? I just had another period of about 30 minutes that I had the same problem :confused:

I think the sporadic email receipt could be an AOL thing.

But the periodic timeouts aren't. Of the three users on this thread who've described the timeout problem, one is AOL, one is Comcast DSL, and one is Bellsouth DSL.

I've been on pretty much all day and haven't seen hardly any problems at all.

Originally posted by WebmasterAlex
Can anyone give me an idea when this started? I haven't experienced or seen it and this thread is the first I've heard of it.
Mia, what kind of email account do you use?

I went back & checked for my old threads & on August 24th I posted a thread about having e-mail notification problems on the Tech Board, but never got a response. Still having problems.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this yall? Appreciate any info you may have.

Originally posted by dclwdwlover
I went back & checked for my old threads & on August 24th I posted a thread about having e-mail notification problems on the Tech Board, but never got a response. Still having problems.

The problem the OP has on this thread is more than just e mail notification problem. :(

Anyway, the e-mail notification prolems have been going on for years. The Webmsters here have done everything to try and convince services like AOL (which I use) to not block or delay the e mails, but it is a hit or miss proposition.

Over the last few years, I have gooten e mails OK, e mails delayed (2-3 days), no e mails, and once I got about 200 email notifications inside of 1 hour (AOL's dam must have broke);)

Ed

I think the email notification problems are an AOL problem. There's a LONG history of AOL having glitches in delivering emails, and with their spam filtering software causing delivery problems.

The solution is to use another email provider and not AOL- free email accounts are available from a number of places, including Hotmail and Yahoo.

That's a completely different issue from the timeouts.

(Whoops, Ed and I were saying the same thing at the same time! :teeth: )

Originally posted by betterlatethannever
The problem the OP has on this thread is more than just e mail notification problem......
Actually, I don't think the OP asked about email notification, but rather the 'dreaded page unavailable' problem. I too have been having that problem of late, though I have not had AOL for many, many years, do have Comcast cable. When the DIS is not available with the 'The page cannot be displayed' page, other Net sites are fine. Seems to be a localized problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter