Modifying reservations with transferred and one time use points frustration

Lorana

DIS Veteran
Has anyone else run into repeated problems when booking reservations with transferred and one time use points? Has anyone else had a situation where too many points were being used in a reservation

At this point, I'm about to make my third call in for a reservation, and have had two online chats with Member Services trying to resolve this. Admittedly I'm a complicated case, but I have 2019 transferred points banked into 2020 and 2020 transferred points and one-time use year points in play on one reservation, which I know makes it complicated. But the reservation shows it is 297 points, but according to the list of points Member Services just showed me online when I was trying to figure out why 20 points was taken from one of my contracts, a total of 314 points seems to be used. Thus, I'm calling in yet again to try and get this resolved.

At this point I'm just venting my frustration of having to do numerous calls, especially as I'm now waitlisted for the last night of our vacation because I needed to call in to book this reservation and it was gone by the time I finally got through to someone.

Why oh why can DVC not make this all available/viewable/bookable online?! Le sigh. :(

After all of these years, it is ridiculous that all of this cannot be handled online. Purchase, view and book with one time points. Initiate, confirm, view and book with transferred points.

I booked with one time use points at the 7 month mark this morning and it took them 20 minutes to get the system to accept the reservation with one time use points I had just purchased.

After all of these years, it is ridiculous that all of this cannot be handled online. Purchase, view and book with one time points. Initiate, confirm, view and book with transferred points.

I booked with one time use points at the 7 month mark this morning and it took them 20 minutes to get the system to accept the reservation with one time use points I had just purchased.

The reason it can’t be done online is because the points are not owned by you. They are in your account in a temporary contract.

It is one of the drawbacks of having to use these types of points

I had a small issue with transferred points in that borrowed points have to be used before transferred points. I don’t know if you have any of those in your reservation, but that can cause an issue,

I was told the system is designed to take points in certain ways and no work around.

I agree, transferred points are not easy to use. Hopefully, it gets straightened out,

Are toy saying the system is taking more points than the reservstion costs?

The reason it can’t be done online is because the points are not owned by you. They are in your account in a temporary contract.

It is one of the drawbacks of having to use these types of points

This is an IT issue, nothing more. It can be done online. They just haven't (or won't) invest in updating the system.

This is an IT issue, nothing more. It can be done online. They just haven't (or won't) invest in updating the system.
I would really love to be able to see which points are used by a specific reservation (resort and use year). They tell you how the points are allocated when you book but I always forget to write it down!

Maybe so, but since They don’t come as part of a contract, it’s not as simple as it sounds,

But, that is the nature of these points...you don’t own them, so you must deal with the drawbacks

In the next IT overhaul, I’m sure it’s on their upgrade list as they rather give owners more options vs have to call.

Even their chat feature which I loved seems to be unavailable more often than available when I log in.

I had a small issue with transferred points in that borrowed points have to be used before transferred points. I don’t know if you have any of those in your reservation, but that can cause an issue,

I was told the system is designed to take points in certain ways and no work around.

I agree, transferred points are not easy to use. Hopefully, it gets straightened out,

Are toy saying the system is taking more points than the reservstion costs?

So, yes, somehow that ended up being the problem. When I called the second time to try to rebalance the point distribution, I didn't catch that it was somehow using 20 extra points, pulled out of one of my contracts. Which is why I needed to call the third time, as the DVC Chat Member could see that the point allocation was wrong but couldn't fix it themselves.

Turns out the problem is that two of my resale contracts had borrowed in points from 2019 into my 2020 UY and the system was defaulting to those first. One the second call, they fixed one of the contracts, but not the second. On the third call, however, everything is now correct - it's using all my transferred and one time use points, and 4 points from one of my resale contracts.

There IS a way to get around this if you have numerous contracts, which is to ask them explicitly not to select contracts with borrowed in points and use one that only has current UY points, which is what I did. Sometimes I make sad faces at the extra cost I incurred in buying numerous small contracts, but in this case I have a happy face that I have numerous small contracts so I could do this work-around.

Maybe so, but since They don’t come as part of a contract, it’s not as simple as it sounds,

But, that is the nature of these points...you don’t own them, so you must deal with the drawbacks
It may not be easy and certainly would take time/effort, but the fact the CMs can see the one-time and transferred points balances and apply them to reservations, means that it IS possible to update the member website to allow us to do so as well.

So, yes, somehow that ended up being the problem. When I called the second time to try to rebalance the point distribution, I didn't catch that it was somehow using 20 extra points, pulled out of one of my contracts. Which is why I needed to call the third time, as the DVC Chat Member could see that the point allocation was wrong but couldn't fix it themselves.

Turns out the problem is that two of my resale contracts had borrowed in points from 2019 into my 2020 UY and the system was defaulting to those first. One the second call, they fixed one of the contracts, but not the second. On the third call, however, everything is now correct - it's using all my transferred and one time use points, and 4 points from one of my resale contracts.

There IS a way to get around this if you have numerous contracts, which is to ask them explicitly not to select contracts with borrowed in points and use one that only has current UY points, which is what I did. Sometimes I make sad faces at the extra cost I incurred in buying numerous small contracts, but in this case I have a happy face that I have numerous small contracts so I could do this work-around.

It may not be easy and certainly would take time/effort, but the fact the CMs can see the one-time and transferred points balances and apply them to reservations, means that it IS possible to update the member website to allow us to do so as well.

I was dealing with just one contract so I am sure it’s why they couldn’t work around it for me! Glad it’s fixed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter