Modifying 8 day reservation to 4 and 4

cbarnes17

Earning My Ears
I currently have an 8 day reservation for my home resort and would like to modify it to the first 4 days at my home resort and the last 4 days at a non-home resort. Can I accomplish this online at the 7 month window for the second 4 days using the points I've already used for the 8 day reservation? I want to avoid having to borrow if I were to book a redundant stay at the non-home resort for the second 4 days and then modify the 8 day down to 4. I also don't want to modify the 8 day down to 4 first, at the risk of losing availability of the second 4 days at a non-home resort. Thoughts?

So without out any additional free points, to do what you want you will need to call MS on the day 7 months from check-in at the non-home resort. Unfortunately MS can't split the 8 day reservation before hand nor can the system let you modify only part of the days, which is why the call is needed. I always recommend if you want or think you will do a split stay book your original stay in two reservations (different lead guests) at 11 months. Then you can easily modify at 7 months either part. If you end up not split staying MS can always merge the two back into one reservation.

If you currently have it booked as a full 8 nights, as mentioned, you will have to call MS and have them do the split stay modification. I know you avoid mentioning borrowing, but would you have enough to book a few days...beginning or end of your trip...right now at your home resort without borrowing?

If they are still available, what you could do is book those nights. Once you book them, modify your current 8 days, down to 6. Then it frees up 2 days worth of points. Go back in and modify the 2 night to a 4 night reservation. You have now split your 8 night into 2 without borrowing or risking any loss.

If you don't have any free points to book those additional few nights...or, everything you currently have is already gone, then it won't work.

If your home resort still has availability, I would look at trying to change your current reservation to two separate reservations. You would have to modify your current reservation to drop the last 4 days. Then you would create a new reservation for the last 4 days. Then, when you hit the 7 month mark, you can just go into the reservation for the last 4 days and modify it to the new resort.

If there is currently no availability for the room you want at your home resort though, this could be a bit risky, as you could lose those last 4 days completely if someone else grabs them while you are finalizing your first transaction. So, just be aware of this risk if you attempt this approach.

I have a similar question but pertaining more to borrowing points.

We would like to do a split stay - I am booking home resort Poly for 1/23/21 - 1/27/21 and a second reservation for 1/27-1/30. I plan to modify the second reservation at 7 months to try a non-home resort.

However, we only have a 100 point contract. The full 7 nights at Poly is 125 points (71 for first res, 54 for second), so we will need to borrow 25 points from 2021 use year. I understand that borrowed points cannot be returned to their use year.

So, if we switch the second res 1/27-1/30 to a resort that costs less in points (AKV for example), what happens to the borrowed points that we will not end up needing? AKV would be 38 points, so that is 16 points borrowed but not needed (54 Poly minus 38 AKV).

Is there a way to return the current 2020 use year points instead so we can then bank them?

We would like to do a split stay - I am booking home resort Poly for 1/23/21 - 1/27/21 and a second reservation for 1/27-1/30. I plan to modify the second reservation at 7 months to try a non-home resort.

However, we only have a 100 point contract. The full 7 nights at Poly is 125 points (71 for first res, 54 for second), so we will need to borrow 25 points from 2021 use year. I understand that borrowed points cannot be returned to their use year.

So, if we switch the second res 1/27-1/30 to a resort that costs less in points (AKV for example), what happens to the borrowed points that we will not end up needing? AKV would be 38 points, so that is 16 points borrowed but not needed (54 Poly minus 38 AKV).

Is there a way to return the current 2020 use year points instead so we can then bank them?
Borrowed and banked points are used first to complete a reservation. Then current UY points are taken to complete it, if needed.

No, borrowed points can’t be returned to their original use year. You can, however modify the points used for your first reservation to use the borrowed points. You will free up current year points that can be banked!

No, borrowed points can’t be returned to their original use year. You can, however modify the points used for your first reservation to use the borrowed points. You will free up current year points that can be banked!
Perfect!! This is what I was hoping for. Thanks for confirming.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!