Mobic (Meloxicam) vs. Naproxen

ols386

I want to live at Disney World!!
Anyone have any experience using either of these NSAIDs? I've tried Naproxen for cervical spine arthritis, it didn't do much to relieve pain. Now prescribed 15mg Meloxicam per day.

Are either one of them more effective than the other?

What has your experience been?

I have taken Mobic for several years and sometimes when I think it isn't working, I will skip a day or two and realize that yes it is. I like that I can also take Tylenol with it if I need to.

I've only taken Naproxin for arthritis in my wrist. I found it made a HUGE difference. In fact, I'm going back to see my Dr. Next week to beg for another prescription to have on hand, just for the bad days.

I took Mobic for a problem with my knee. I had to stop. It caused my blood pressure to be very high. The doctor said this is a common side effect of this drug.

I have taken Mobic for several years and sometimes when I think it isn't working, I will skip a day or two and realize that yes it is. I like that I can also take Tylenol with it if I need to.
I, too, have taken Mobic for several years. And like you, I have stopped, only to realize how much it is doing.

Naproxen didn't help much. And it was much harder on my stomach.

I was initially prescribed Mobic for my psoriatic arthritis. It made me bleed in places I'm not supposed to bleed. Now I'm on Methotrexate and pain free most of the time.

I was initially prescribed Mobic for my psoriatic arthritis. It made me bleed in places I'm not supposed to bleed. Now I'm on Methotrexate and pain free most of the time.
But Mthotrexate isn't an NSAID.

And of course has its own list of side effects.

No, MTX is a dmard (disease modifying antireumatic drug). The mobic was an attempt to ease my pain the least invasively. After that, dmards are the gold standard.

Mobic was much easier on my stomach than Naproxen. I took Mobic for about 3 months every day but now its just one here or there if my knee starts to hurt.

I take 15 mg Meloxicam everyday for the arthritis in my knee. It works wonders for me. I don't like that you can't take ibuprofen with it because that is my go-to for headaches and such, but I just take Tylenol for that now.

My dog takes it. It works for her and is much easier on her stomach than a previous NSAID which caused bleeding. I know, dogs are not people...

Hmm, I take Motrin with it.

I would double check on that since both are NSAIDs.

Tylenol is fine to take in conjunction with an NSAID. They are different classes of pain relievers and work very well together. Tylenol blocks the brain's interpretation of pain. NSAIDs work at the site of the pain, offering anti-inflammatory properties if taking in a high enough dose.

I would double check on that since both are NSAIDs.

Tylenol is fine to take in conjunction with an NSAID. They are different classes of pain relievers and work very well together. Tylenol blocks the brain's interpretation of pain. NSAIDs work at the site of the pain, offering anti-inflammatory properties if taking in a high enough dose.
The doctor that gave me the Mobic is the one that told me the max dose of Motrin. So he knows what I am taking.

Thank you everyone for your input.

I took Meloxicam this morning. Seems like it helps a little more than Naproxen, but not a lot.

So is it one of those things, where if you take it for a period of time, it continues to reduce inflammation?

I have taken both, mainly for knee arthritis. The naproxen works better for me than meloxicam but celebrex works better than both of those. My doctor also told me not to take ibuprofen in conjunction with any of those three since they are all NSAIDS and it would be too much.

After my stroke ALL my doctors including the Neurologist made a really big deal about NOT taking any non prescription NSAID's with the prescriptions.

Also after my prescription for my NASAID expired NONE of them would renew it because the latest research shows that NSAID's increase stroke risk.

I have not had the chance to look the research up but was enrolled in a stroke study through Harvard and one of the requirement was no NSAID's.

After my stroke ALL my doctors including the Neurologist made a really big deal about NOT taking any non prescription NSAID's with the prescriptions.

Also after my prescription for my NASAID expired NONE of them would renew it because the latest research shows that NSAID's increase stroke risk.

I have not had the chance to look the research up but was enrolled in a stroke study through Harvard and one of the requirement was no NSAID's.

My orthopedic Dr and my pain management Dr both told me the same thing-no other non prescription NSAIDs at all while taking meloxicam!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter