If you don't have a plan for attending the party, you're going to feel let down. The parties are almost set up in a sense that you need to go to 2 parties to even remotely get anything done. 1 party could be for meeting the characters and some rides/trick or treating and the 2nd party for watching the parade(s) and fireworks with some rides maybe thrown in.

If you try and wing it at a party, you're gonna feel yourself getting pulled in too many different directions, especially with a large family.

When it was just 2 of us in 2014, we knew what we wanted to do and the night flew by. There wasn't much time to wing it.

I agree 100%. We had a plan but under estimated crowds and such long lines. We ran into so many frustrated 1st timers. It isnt implied that you needed to attend several parties to be able to benefit. It was a hot mess. Many cast members were overwhelmed and miss informed. I felt bad for many of them. Maybe this will improve with each party. But I just want people to understand you may only get to see one or two characters depending on their popularity and amount of tickets sold. I feel bad for anyone spending big bucks and not having the resources like disboards. Even though I have many years of experience and the Disboards, I will admit, it was very hard to navagate and not feel overwhelmed as the one in charge of the plans. We did have fun. I did my best, but it was still a hot mess. I do believe it can be better handled by Disney.

I agree 100%. We had a plan but under estimated crowds and such long lines. We ran into so many frustrated 1st timers. It isnt implied that you needed to attend several parties to be able to benefit. It was a hot mess. Many cast members were overwhelmed and miss informed. I felt bad for many of them. Maybe this will improve with each party. But I just want people to understand you may only get to see one or two characters depending on their popularity and amount of tickets sold. I feel bad for anyone spending big bucks and not having the resources like disboards. Even though I have many years of experience and the Disboards, I will admit, it was very hard to navagate and not feel overwhelmed as the one in charge of the plans. We did have fun. I did my best, but it was still a hot mess. I do believe it can be better handled by Disney.

Honestly, the only reason it works for some is because other people don't have plans or have plans that aren't achievable. I'm a bit concerned about the party myself. We're already annual passholders and pay out a pretty decent chunk to do that already. We're just going to MNSSHP for the entertainment we can't do with our regular passes. I don't know how I feel about spending that kind of money to meet two characters and get $10 worth of candy.. lol
However, if we didn't have passes and wanted to ride the rides with little wait, MNSSHP would seem like a killer bargain. I looked at the wait times during the party. I mean, you could probably ride every single open attraction and still gather candy. That's pretty stinking cool. The problem is that I've done that already and I'm going for the characters.

Honestly, the only reason it works for some is because other people don't have plans or have plans that aren't achievable. I'm a bit concerned about the party myself. We're already annual passholders and pay out a pretty decent chunk to do that already. We're just going to MNSSHP for the entertainment we can't do with our regular passes. I don't know how I feel about spending that kind of money to meet two characters and get $10 worth of candy.. lol
However, if we didn't have passes and wanted to ride the rides with little wait, MNSSHP would seem like a killer bargain. I looked at the wait times during the party. I mean, you could probably ride every single open attraction and still gather candy. That's pretty stinking cool. The problem is that I've done that already and I'm going for the characters.

This is exactly how I feel. We've had APs most years in the past and I could never justify the additional cost of a party. This is the first year we didn't get APs because we knew we wouldn't have much free time to go to Disney this year, so this is the first year I think it's worth it to spend the money on the party. We may do the Christmas party too, I haven't decided yet. In January we're getting APs again so there won't be any parties for us next year.

I am working on my planning schedule for our first MNSSHP. It will be Tuesday Sept. 12th. Touring plans predicted it will be the 3rd least crowded party. After reading what everyone said about the long lines and chaos at times at the first party, I am concerned. Should we allot 2 or more hours for meeting the 7 Dwarfs? That seems like madness to spend half the party in line. We want to see pooh. (my DD top priority) Should I get in line early for 7 dwarfs first even though they are 2nd priority and then do Pooh, or is he just as popular?

I am working on my planning schedule for our first MNSSHP. It will be Tuesday Sept. 12th. Touring plans predicted it will be the 3rd least crowded party. After reading what everyone said about the long lines and chaos at times at the first party, I am concerned. Should we allot 2 or more hours for meeting the 7 Dwarfs? That seems like madness to spend half the party in line. We want to see pooh. (my DD top priority) Should I get in line early for 7 dwarfs first even though they are 2nd priority and then do Pooh, or is he just as popular?

If you want to see Pooh, then go see Pooh, don't expect a small line there either. These lines for these characters are major lines. Jack/Sally, Dwarfs, Moana, these lines all start at 4pm. Literally, people will be in line. Jack and Sally start meeting around 5:30, Moana was out about 6:45. If you have priorities, then do them, just adjust accordingly. Also note that they WILL cut the lines for characters at a certain time if the lines are long enough.

Bolded is a key. We wanted to see the Cadaver Dans the other year, asked CM's where they'd be... not a one of them could tell us. Needless to say, we didn't get to see them. Disney doesn't ultimately care in the end. They have your money and the party is what you make of it. That said, yes, I agree, there could be more done.

If you want to see Pooh, then go see Pooh, don't expect a small line there either. These lines for these characters are major lines. Jack/Sally, Dwarfs, Moana, these lines all start at 4pm. Literally, people will be in line. Jack and Sally start meeting around 5:30, Moana was out about 6:45. If you have priorities, then do them, just adjust accordingly. Also note that they WILL cut the lines for characters at a certain time if the lines are long enough.

So technically, everyone waits three hours!!! Hopefully as the parties continue, the trip reports will get better.

Here is my 4th version of my party plans!!! Thanks to Irma we will now be attending on Sunday Sept. 17th as well as Tuesday Sept. 19th. With two parties, I had to go back to the drawing board and start my plans again from scratch. I would appreciate any suggestions!!!

Touring Plan Sunday Sept. 17th MK/ MNSSHP:

--10:25-12:00pm: Breakfast at Crystal Palace ADR 10:25am #**********

-12:30-3:30pm: Rest at Wilderness Lodge Grab late lunch at Roaring Forks

Put on Costumes (Pooh, Piglet, Christopher Robin)

-3:30-4:00pm: Boat to MK

-4:00-4:45pm: Wrist Bands/Pumpkin Photos

-5:00-6:40pm: I will wait in line 7 Dwarfs M&G in Storybook Circus

---Tag Team Barn Stormer or Dumbo Jacob and Lanee

-6:40-7:25pm: Pooh Bear M&G

-7:30-7:50pm: Ride Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

-8:00-8:45pm: Ride 7DMT

-9:00-9:20pm: ToT at Pinocchio Village Haus

---Tag team Picking up Dinner Order

-9:30-10:00pm: Ride Peter Pan’s Flight

ToT Peter Pan’s Flight

-10:00-10:45pm: Haunted Mansion during fireworks...... shorter wait time this way?

-11:00pm- Head back to hotel is sleepy or Mickey at town square

Once parade starts will it be tricky to get to get back to front of the park to leave?

Tuesday September 19th MNSSHP:

-1:20 -2:20pm:Late lunch at Whispering Canyon Cafe (OOP)

ADR 1:20 #*********

-3:00-3:pm: Bus to MK

-4:00-4:30pm: Bag Check/pumpkin Photos wearing Incredible Costumes

Should we ride train to Frontierland? I don’t know exactly where pumpkins are other than Main Street

-5:00-5:40pm: BTMRR FP Time: 5:00-6:00pm

-5:40-6:10pm: Pick up wristbands at Tortuga Tavern

-6:15-6:45pm:Ride Jungle Cruise

-6:50-7:10pm Ride POTC

-7:30pm: ToT at Liberty Square Riverboat

-7:45pm Find Spot for Parade and Fireworks near Casey’s Corner
(is this a good spot/time?)

---Tag Team: Snacks from Sleepy Hollow

---Tag Team: ToT

9:05-9:15 pm: Headless Horseman

9:15-9:45pm: Boo to You Parade

10:15-10:30pm: Hallowishes

10:50-11:10pm: Lotso Huggin Bear

11:15-11:45pm: Monster’s Inc Dance Party

Last edited:
Last year we did the dwarfs and Pooh in one party, no problem. We lined up for the dwarfs around 5:30, which was a bit later than I'd planned, but met them by 6:45. We then went right to Pooh and were one of the last groups in their first set. Done with both before 8 pm.

ETA - just saw your post above. Switch dwarfs and Pooh. Pooh line won't even start forming until 6 or shortly after. If you can be in line for the dwarfs by 5:15 you'll be golden. If you don't get in line for the dwarfs until 7:30, expect a 90 minute wait, at minimum.

Last year we did the dwarfs and Pooh in one party, no problem. We lined up for the dwarfs around 5:30, which was a bit later than I'd planned, but met them by 6:45. We then went right to Pooh and were one of the last groups in their first set. Done with both before 8 pm.

ETA - just saw your post above. Switch dwarfs and Pooh. Pooh line won't even start forming until 6 or shortly after. If you can be in line for the dwarfs by 5:15 you'll be golden. If you don't get in line for the dwarfs until 7:30, expect a 90 minute wait, at minimum.

Thanks! I was thinking that might be what I should do. The only reason I had Pooh first is bc we are going as Pooh, Piglet, and Christopher Robin. :)

We are going on a Sunday (4 weeks from today!!) and here are our general plans:

9:00 Wake up and breakfast at PO-FQ

10:00 DD and DW go outlet shopping at Premier Outlets. I take it easy at PO-FQ

11:30: I take a boat to Disney Springs and eat lunch somewhere

2:00 DD and DW arguing to a late lunch at Kona Cafe at the Poly

2:30 I take a bus from Disney Springs to the Poly or the Grand Floridian and ride monorail to the MK

3:00 Meet family at MK Take pictures outside

4:00 Enter the MK

4:10 Picture for Christmas card in front of castle

4:15 Muppet show at Liberty Square

4:30 FP at BTMRR(FP 3:30-4:30)

4:45 FP at Peter Pan (FP 4:30-5:30)

5:00 Mickey's Philharmagic

5:30 Flag Retreat

5:50 PeopleMover

6:10 Space Mountain (FP 5:30-6:30)

7:00 Find Mickey Popcorn Bucket

We will try to do the early parade, see the Villains show, see the Fireworks, see the Cadaver Dans and ride the following: Pirates, Buzz, 7DMT, Haunted Mansion, Voyage of the Little Mermaid

We will try to get as many still and animated Magic shots as we can.

I am welcome to criticism or expert advice. Thanks.

Okay: Here is what I have so far for our party plan:

Touring Plan Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party For Tues. Sept. 12th:

Morning: Sleep in get up at 9:00am

9:35am Breakfast at Boma in AKL

11:00-12:30pm Go swimming at Kinandi Pool

1:00-1:30 pm Change into costumes, grab lunch or snack to go a Mara

1:45-2:30 pm: Bus to Magic Kingdom

3:00pm: Take Photos in between Pumpkins on Main Street

3:15-3:45pm Big Thunder Mountain Rail Road FP 3:10-4:10

3:45-4:30pm Jungle Cruise or Swiss Family Robinson Depending on day before

4:30-4:45pm Get Wristbands at Tortuga Tavern

4:45-5:20pm: Ride Disney Railway to Fantasy Land

5:30-6:30: Jacob and Lanee 7DMT FP: 5:30-6:30 I will get in Pooh Line for Pooh

7:00-7:30: Pooh and Friends First Meet and Greet

7:45-8:30: 7 Dwarfs Meet and Greet (DH and DD ToT while I wait in line)

8:45: Scope out Parade Spot DH get Snacks for us Suggestions on Good viewing Spot?

9:15 First Parade

10:15 Hallo wishes

10:30-12:00am Depending on how tired daughter is ToT, Lottso and Buzz, Rides or 7 Dwarfs depending on earlier time?

I haven't been to Disney since I was a child and my family has never been, so it is our first party! Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

- Get your wristbands earlier.
- Line up sooner for first M&G.
- When is your family getting in line for Dwarfs... That's a 4pm line to get into. If you're not in that line first, forget it or you're waiting longer than when you plan on seeing them.
- 8:45 isn't going to get you a superb spot for the parade. The crowds will be seated probly by 7:45-8:15 for the parade.. yes, they sit down that early.
- Don't forget the 2nd parade is at 11:15.

I didn't comment on the earlier in the day stuff, but if you're worried about the kiddo making it all night, I'd limit the morning/afternoon stuff.

We are going on a Sunday (4 weeks from today!!) and here are our general plans:

9:00 Wake up and breakfast at PO-FQ

10:00 DD and DW go outlet shopping at Premier Outlets. I take it easy at PO-FQ

11:30: I take a boat to Disney Springs and eat lunch somewhere

2:00 DD and DW arguing to a late lunch at Kona Cafe at the Poly

2:30 I take a bus from Disney Springs to the Poly or the Grand Floridian and ride monorail to the MK

3:00 Meet family at MK Take pictures outside

4:00 Enter the MK

4:10 Picture for Christmas card in front of castle

4:15 Muppet show at Liberty Square

4:30 FP at BTMRR(FP 3:30-4:30)

4:45 FP at Peter Pan (FP 4:30-5:30)

5:00 Mickey's Philharmagic

5:30 Flag Retreat

5:50 PeopleMover

6:10 Space Mountain (FP 5:30-6:30)

7:00 Find Mickey Popcorn Bucket

We will try to do the early parade, see the Villains show, see the Fireworks, see the Cadaver Dans and ride the following: Pirates, Buzz, 7DMT, Haunted Mansion, Voyage of the Little Mermaid

We will try to get as many still and animated Magic shots as we can.

I am welcome to criticism or expert advice. Thanks.

- Do any and all rides BEFORE the party officially starts.
- Find out now where those popcorn buckets were sold. Go there at 4 with your wristband on and get one.
- Mansion would be the only ride I'd do during the party, but that's up to you.
- You should hit your FP's pretty quick I'd imagine.
- If you're not doing any character M&G's or trick or treating, yours seems pretty doable.

Okay: Here is what I have so far for our party plan:

Touring Plan Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party For Tues. Sept. 12th:

Morning: Sleep in get up at 9:00am

9:35am Breakfast at Boma in AKL

11:00-12:30pm Go swimming at Kinandi Pool

1:00-1:30 pm Change into costumes, grab lunch or snack to go a Mara

1:45-2:30 pm: Bus to Magic Kingdom

3:00pm: Take Photos in between Pumpkins on Main Street

3:15-3:45pm Big Thunder Mountain Rail Road FP 3:10-4:10

3:45-4:30pm Jungle Cruise or Swiss Family Robinson Depending on day before

4:30-4:45pm Get Wristbands at Tortuga Tavern

4:45-5:20pm: Ride Disney Railway to Fantasy Land

5:30-6:30: Jacob and Lanee 7DMT FP: 5:30-6:30 I will get in Pooh Line for Pooh

7:00-7:30: Pooh and Friends First Meet and Greet

7:45-8:30: 7 Dwarfs Meet and Greet (DH and DD ToT while I wait in line)

8:45: Scope out Parade Spot DH get Snacks for us Suggestions on Good viewing Spot?

9:15 First Parade

10:15 Hallo wishes

10:30-12:00am Depending on how tired daughter is ToT, Lottso and Buzz, Rides or 7 Dwarfs depending on earlier time?

I haven't been to Disney since I was a child and my family has never been, so it is our first party! Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

I'm no expert; this is our second party. I'd allow more time for 7Dwarfs. We're attending the party on the 7th, plan as of now is J&S, scope dwarfs line, go from there. It's my understanding these character lines are insane.

I'd also grab a parade spot earlier too, if you're worried about sitting there too long maybe try the Fronteirland portion of the route? When we went in 2015 we grabbed a decent spot over there about 30 minutes before the second parade. Although the second parade is unusually ,was crowded which may be why we had such luck.

How old is DD? Maybe wake up later, or relax a bit more that morning so she can get through the party better?

- Get your wristbands earlier.
- Line up sooner for first M&G.
- When is your family getting in line for Dwarfs... That's a 4pm line to get into. If you're not in that line first, forget it or you're waiting longer than when you plan on seeing them.
- 8:45 isn't going to get you a superb spot for the parade. The crowds will be seated probly by 7:45-8:15 for the parade.. yes, they sit down that early.
- Don't forget the 2nd parade is at 11:15.

I didn't comment on the earlier in the day stuff, but if you're worried about the kiddo making it all night, I'd limit the morning/afternoon stuff.

I am thinking I will switch pooh and 7 dwarfs and get in line earlier, while they do other things. Can I hold a spot for my DD and DH? I can't see them waiting in line for 3 hours before the party! How early could we pick up wristbands? (I assumed I couldn't pick them up until 4pm) I have the paper tickets I printed off should I bring those or should I add those to MDE so a CM can scan MB to see our tickets?

I am thinking I will switch pooh and 7 dwarfs and get in line earlier, while they do other things. Can I hold a spot for my DD and DH? I can't see them waiting in line for 3 hours before the party! How early could we pick up wristbands? (I assumed I couldn't pick them up until 4pm) I have the paper tickets I printed off should I bring those or should I add those to MDE so a CM can scan MB to see our tickets?

1. You can hold a spot, the only danger is... if the characters come out and you're at the front of the line, will your family get to you before it's your turn.
ETA: I've heard nothing of the Dwarfs coming out early, but Jack & Sally and Moana did come out. J&S were out before 5:30, Moana was roughly 6:45.
2. 4pm for wristbands.
3. Your call. I think it's easier to have them scan your band because you will need to get that scanned numerous times throughout the night.

I'm no expert; this is our second party. I'd allow more time for 7Dwarfs. We're attending the party on the 7th, plan as of now is J&S, scope dwarfs line, go from there. It's my understanding these character lines are insane.

I'd also grab a parade spot earlier too, if you're worried about sitting there too long maybe try the Fronteirland portion of the route? When we went in 2015 we grabbed a decent spot over there about 30 minutes before the second parade. Although the second parade is unusually ,was crowded which may be why we had such luck.

How old is DD? Maybe wake up later, or relax a bit more that morning so she can get through the party better?

My daughter will be turning 10 during the trip, so she's not too little but can get pretty grumpy by 11ish! That is why we are thinking earlier parade. My husband is a first timer so he can't grasp the whole staying out past midnight deal. I have talked to him about it 50 times and he is like, "why do we need a plan for a party" and just tonight was like, "wait the rides are open? I thought it was just parades and characters" :sad2: (prolly bc that is what I have been talking about!)
I planned the swimming bc that seems to be one of her main goals and I don't think my peeps will want to just relax at the resort, but I know doing too much would equal grumpy people! A lot of the reason I added extra rides, was bc I just bought MNSSHP tickets so I already had tickets for that day and I thought I should use them/fast passes a little. Maybe it would be too much?

It seems there was huge wait times for the 7 dwarfs, Moana, and J&S, but what about the rest. We are interested in Belle, Jasmine, and Arial. I know you can normally meet them but that's who my daughters like. Does anyone remember what their wait times were like?

We would like to meet Moana, but if her line is anywhere near those times at the 9/1 party that is not happening. My kids would rather ride rides then stand in line.

What do you think is the least popular character? We weren't going to do any meet & greets, but now I'm thinking about doing one, just to keep our party "well-rounded," haha. I'd want the one with the shortest wait.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter