MK Villas: Bay Lake Tower or Grand Floridian?

Coral Reef Diver

Diving The Magic
I'm looking to stay in one of the MK Resorts for easy transfer into the Magic Kingdom.
I need a one bedroom villa, standard view.

I know the GF costs more than BLT (I hope I have the acronyms correct). I'm okay with paying more for GF (full-blown hotel), and it's beautiful décor would not be lost on me. But all I really need is a top quality room with ease to MK. And the standard views would also influence me.

I don't know anything about BLT.

Unfortunately, unless you are a DVC member (or know a DVC member with home resort booking privileges who can make a reservation for you 11 months out), your chances of securing a standard view villa at either BLT or VGF are slim to none. Standard views cost fewer DVC points, so they are typically the first villa view to book up. I don't know that standard view is ever available for cash stays by the general public, but other views are.

As for ease of getting to MK, I would say BLT is the winner ... you can take the monorail or the (less than 10 minute) walking path. If I recall, the ferry is even an option. I own at BLT and it's convenience to MK is awesome. (Can't really comment on VGF until after my next trip when we stay there.)

I second the BLT experience. VGF is certainly nicer from a transportation perspective than a resort off of the monorail loop but the short walk back to BLT is a game changer at the end of the night when you are likely going to wait longer for a monorail, and then still have to walk from the main building to where you are staying, than it would take you to just walk back to BLT. And don't forget that while VGF has restaurants, etc. they are all going to be a bit off a walk over to the main resort area which really is not farther than taking the bridge from BLT over to CP which has several dining choices of its own.

As others have said, VGF is near impossible to book and BLT will provide the most convenient travel to MK (I HIGHLY recommend walking over taking the monorail). If BLT isn't available, you may want to look at the villas at WL. It's a beautiful resort and, while you won't have a monorail or walking access, you will have a boat back and forth to MK.

BLT wins over every other resort for us. Sure it's our home resort, but its home for a reason...the convenience can't be beat. We love the on site restaurants. So many things to do. Love the decor.

We love the VGF but the ease of walking to MK from BLT is sooooo nice. I wish there was a walking path from the GF but the canal is in the way.

I'd pick GF any day. 2 modes of transportation to MK, boat or monorail. It's a small resort. Never a long walk to anywhere. Lots of restaurants. And an easy walk over to Poly too. Beautiful grounds and theming. To me BTL looks like it could be a condo anywhere. But it does have an advantage of walking back from MK.

You've all been great, and collectively, mirror my own perception that both of these are fantastic resorts with their own advantages.

I've decided on BLT, thank you all for your contributions.

You've all been great, and collectively, mirror my own perception that both of these are fantastic resorts with their own advantages.

I've decided on BLT, thank you all for your contributions.

Will you be booking directly through Disney, if available, or are you looking to rent points to stay DVC?
If you will be renting points, you NEED to do lots more research. There are many complexities and differences in renting points. You are making a contractual agreement with the owner/broker. The DVC board here on the DIS have lots of info
Good Luck

Unfortunately, unless you are a DVC member (or know a DVC member with home resort booking privileges who can make a reservation for you 11 months out), your chances of securing a standard view villa at either BLT or VGF are slim to none.

I am curious about this. We were thinking of renting DVC points next year at Thanksgiving. We wanted to stay in a standard view at BLT. Are you saying that this would be nearly impossible? We were going to use a DVC points rental business and request at 11 months. Are we just dreaming or do you think we might actually get one?

I am curious about this. We were thinking of renting DVC points next year at Thanksgiving. We wanted to stay in a standard view at BLT. Are you saying that this would be nearly impossible? We were going to use a DVC points rental business and request at 11 months. Are we just dreaming or do you think we might actually get one?

It will be very difficult to get a standard view for that time if you are renting points. The rental company would have to have a BLT owner with enough points to book your reservations right at the 11 month mark. You are better off looking at a Lake View stay as those are generally more available. But, that can be a busy time so start talking with the rental company before the 11 month window opens so you can get your request in.

OP here:

I plan to rent DVC points (I understand that DVC is the only source for BLT rooms), and understand that availability is limited to BLT owners willing to rent out their points and popularity of the dates being requested. ColoradoMom12 and I are both looking for popular dates (me: President's Week), so I too am also concerned with availability. I would prefer a standard view, but as rpcvpanama said, I may have to choose a more expensive room with a view.

I just submitted a request to cgbsilver@hotmail.co to rent points. (They appear to be an active points seller)

We stayed in grand villas at both on our trip in May. I LOVE CR, but we actually hated BLT and couldn't wait until we switched to GF. It was just leaps and bounds over BLT in every way and we enjoyed every second of our time at GF.

OP here:

I plan to rent DVC points (I understand that DVC is the only source for BLT rooms), and understand that availability is limited to BLT owners willing to rent out their points and popularity of the dates being requested. ColoradoMom12 and I are both looking for popular dates (me: President's Week), so I too am also concerned with availability. I would prefer a standard view, but as rpcvpanama said, I may have to choose a more expensive room with a view.

I just submitted a request to xxxxxxx to rent points. (They appear to be an active points seller)
President's weekend 2018? If that's the case, you're way behind the curve since BLT owners have already been able to book their stays there since March. Availability may be limited.

If you're looking for 2019, you're a little too far ahead of your skis. The points charts haven't even been published for 2019 yet and no one, not even BLT owners, can make a reservation there right now.

Last edited:
There are 1 bedroom Theme Park and Standard view villas available for my stay (second week of July) at BLT. However these are through Disney with no discounts (I don't think BLT has released discounts since 2011-2012). There are never any rooms available at the Grand Floridian villas.

Personally I would choose BLT.

FWIW, when Disney Cash has BLT studios/1BRs, they're almost always Lake View even if they don't say they are.

Standard Views go quick for popular times, races, and all of fall. You need someone online at 8AM at 11 months for any time in fall for a SV studio or 2BR. 1BR sometimes sticks around longer, but it's still not good to drag your feet.

Yes, it's 2018, and I'm only booking eight months out. Eek.

Like many of you, I project all the standard view rooms will be gone. I just hope something will be available in the BLT for my dates. A Lake View 1BR is still within my budget.

Now I'm curious about MK view. As difficult as standard view or slightly more likely to get one? I don't think we want to go with lake view. If we're paying more, we'd rather pay for a MK view.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter