For those of you who booked at the $59 price and want to change to the After Party - When I called, the CM said there would be the $10 charge to change from the Before to the After party. I decided to wait but changed it online. I just made a new reservation for the after party and the website cancelled the before party. No upcharge on my credit card. That was 4 days ago.
Did it 'hold' your before party reservation until the after party reservation was confirmed? (Would like to do it online, but nervous I'll lose my before res and after will be booked or won't go through)

For those of you who booked at the $59 price and want to change to the After Party - When I called, the CM said there would be the $10 charge to change from the Before to the After party. I decided to wait but changed it online. I just made a new reservation for the after party and the website cancelled the before party. No upcharge on my credit card. That was 4 days ago.

Are they just making information up now? Disney has never had a change fee before. Since it can be cancelled with no fee and then rebooked that doesn't make any sense at all unless you were within the cancellation date of the original reservation.

I'm confused by this. The way you've worded it it sounds like the $10 was a penalty to change the party. $10 is the difference between the old price of the party, and the new price/price of the after party. It's not an "uncharge" it's just what it costs now.

Are they just making information up now? Disney has never had a change fee before. Since it can be cancelled with no fee and then rebooked that doesn't make any sense at all unless you were within the cancellation date of the original reservation.
It's not a fee. The post to which you refer is confusing. The price of the party until just a few weeks ago was $59, now they've added an after party that costs $69, and raised the price of the original party by $10 to $69. No fee, no "uncharge." Just a price difference that would have been rightfully charged if you changed parties.

Did it 'hold' your before party reservation until the after party reservation was confirmed? (Would like to do it online, but nervous I'll lose my before res and after will be booked or won't go through)

I haven't done it for the dessert party, but I did change some dining reservations around where I was required to cancel a booking before I could make a new one as the times overlapped. There should be a message popping up when you try to make the new reservation that says you're required to cancel the existing booking to make the new one, but the system won't cancel the current booking until the new one has gone through, then you have to confirm if you want to do that. I don't think the dessert party would be any different.

We currently have a before party booked on June 20th. The main reason was for the great view without being crammed in like sardines. My son has a Tree Nut allergy so won't be able to eat most desserts and now I'm worried about waiting for a special plate for him with the new after party crowd. Not sure what to do. If you have been with a Tree Nut allergy could you chime in about your experience. Thanks!

After reading about the after party being added, I called to change from the Plaza Garden viewing booked for $59 pp (after $10 refund) to the more costly Terrace viewing at $84 pp. I lost the benefit of the $40 refund credit and had to pay the difference between the parties, ($84-59), $100 for 4 people. Ouch!

Although the price is higher and view wont be as good, I wanted to be able to eat before HEA without feeling rushed to stake out a spot in the garden. This will let us do rides after the party until closing, when the park starts to get less crowded.

Since the Terrace seating only has the before option (for now?!), this seemed like the way to go for our family. I hope I don’t regret it as the garden option seems much more popular.

After reading about the after party being added, I called to change from the Plaza Garden viewing booked for $59 pp (after $10 refund) to the more costly Terrace viewing at $84 pp. I lost the benefit of the $40 refund credit and had to pay the difference between the parties, ($84-59), $100 for 4 people. Ouch!

Although the price is higher and view wont be as good, I wanted to be able to eat before HEA without feeling rushed to stake out a spot in the garden. This will let us do rides after the party until closing, when the park starts to get less crowded.

Since the Terrace seating only has the before option (for now?!), this seemed like the way to go for our family. I hope I don’t regret it as the garden option seems much more popular.

We're doing the terrace for the same reason - I want to sit and not have to hope for the best. There are several youtube videos of the show from the terrace and the garden. Watch those and see if it helps you make up your mind - I watched one from the terrace and it will fit our needs perfectly. It's not an ideal view but I'll take the non ideal view for the ability to sit. Also, on this particular video I saw, she showed the serving areas for both parties. The one for the terrace was noticeably calmer and quieter than the garden area.

My plan: go to the before party that I already have booked, eat desserts until almost sick (I paid for those suckers), sit and relax, waddle down to the plaza garden ten minutes before showtime knowing that I have a place to watch that will have a better view than 90% of those who have sat for an hour waiting for the show. I'm just going to be okay with the level of crowding and the spot because 1) I refuse to sit and wait for the show when I've paid for a saved spot 2) the level of crowding is going to be the same whether I've waited 10 minutes or 60 minutes. No brainer for me

My plan: go to the before party that I already have booked, eat desserts until almost sick (I paid for those suckers), sit and relax, waddle down to the plaza garden ten minutes before showtime knowing that I have a place to watch that will have a better view than 90% of those who have sat for an hour waiting for the show. I'm just going to be okay with the level of crowding and the spot because 1) I refuse to sit and wait for the show when I've paid for a saved spot 2) the level of crowding is going to be the same whether I've waited 10 minutes or 60 minutes. No brainer for me

What I’m sure we’ll do too next week. Is the back actually the best place to watch the fireworks?

That's my plan as well. :)

I suppose that’s our plan as well since my in-laws will not want to switch to the after party. Is there even really a bad “seat” in the house? I assume if it is packed, if we enter at the last minute we will be close to the entrance of the garden area, is that even a bad view?

Also we will have two ECV’s, is there anything we need to take into consideration?

This is what I am thinking too.

But, I am worried about upsetting other guests who have already staked their spots. Arriving closer to fireworks time means we will most likely be in front of those who choose the back railing spots. Now granted, there will be no need to stand mere inches away, but a few feet away might make someone angry who is expecting the “sit” and view experience I have read about on the internet.

I would prefer my fireworks to be confrontation free.

We did the before party last night and had a fabulous experience.
There was plenty of space when we strolled in 15 mins pre-show. Found a fairly central spot, sat down and stayed seated throughout but we were lucky as no one in front of us stood. There were some people standing at one section but no problem for the kids near us watching the show.
I asked our greeter how many were booked in for the parties last night - 180 for before and 50 for after. Just guessing but I expect the after party numbers will be a lot higher than that in future. From what I could tell, everyone was in the same garden.
The savoury items- spring rolls, dip and cheese- were nice and a good selection of desserts.
After a really bad experience trying to watch HEA from the hub last year I'm so glad we did this party.
We had a lovely time.

This is what I am thinking too.

But, I am worried about upsetting other guests who have already staked their spots. Arriving closer to fireworks time means we will most likely be in front of those who choose the back railing spots. Now granted, there will be no need to stand mere inches away, but a few feet away might make someone angry who is expecting the “sit” and view experience I have read about on the internet.

You can't worry about things like this. If people wait for an hour and stand in the back they have to know people will be infront of them at some point. I feel as long as you keep in mind of children and people in evc and not stand infront of them everything will be good :)

In Dec we were almost first into the viewing area and got a spot at the front rail. We (my 11yo daughter and I) sat as we waited then stood for the show, as some very tall people (one with a child on the shoulders) ended up right in front of us in the wheelchair viewing area (couldn't see most castle projections). We weren't the only ones standing -- most at the rail on the far left and right were as well (as well as others sprinkled throughout the viewing area).

A couple of loudmouths (in a group of only adults) behind us yelled for us to sit down so THEY could see WHILE REMAINING SPLAYED OUT ON THE GROUND (not even sitting down -- lying down flat) -- said they didn't care when I said that WE couldn't see well given what was in front of us -- said we were SO inconsiderate.

We were REALLY annoyed at first, then just let it go. There's no way to ensure that some unreasonable people won't make a scene or try to create a confrontation. We just decided not to let it ruin our experience, and didn't respond after our first explanation to them about why we stood -- not that we owed them that. :)

All that said, with Disney now having more people in the reserved section, I doubt there will be a lot of nights when anyone gets the "sit and view experience".

ETA: We did this party multiple times, and this was the only time we dealt with rude people this way.

Last edited:
There was plenty of space when we strolled in 15 mins pre-show. Found a fairly central spot, sat down and stayed seated throughout but we were lucky as no one in front of us stood. There were some people standing at one section but no problem for the kids near us watching the show.
I asked our greeter how many were booked in for the parties last night - 180 for before and 50 for after. Just guessing but I expect the after party numbers will be a lot higher than that in future. From what I could tell, everyone was in the same garden.
The savoury items- spring rolls, dip and cheese- were nice and a good selection of desserts.
After a really bad experience trying to watch HEA from the hub last year I'm so glad we did this party.
We had a lovely time.

Thank you for posting your experience. Glad you had a good time.

We had a lovely time.

:thanks: For posting your experiance @irenep. I have posted a link to your post on Post #1. Thanks again!

As a reminder to everyone, I post links to review/experience posts on Post #1 for easy reference for others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter