Misc. Dining Reviews 11/6 thru 11/16

JerseyGirl114

Mouseketeer
Our group was a total of 5 adults, 2 kids (DS is considered a child & DD is considered an adult on the dp) 1 child & 1 infant. (A few meals 2 adult & 1 child/adult did not dine with us) We were all on the dp. My niece has a tree nut allergy so she was not able to eat most desserts so she was given ice cream for all her desserts.

11/6 Lunch @ Alfredo's - Huge disappointment for DD & I. We ordered the calamari for an appetizer & it was over cooked & rubbery. We had the Fettucini alfredo for our entree & it was horrible. It tasted like it was made with swiss cheese, just aweful - we didn't even eat it & the waiter never asked if we like it or not. :confused3 However, DS had the spaghetti & meatballs & loved them. DM (Dear Mom) had the fresh mozzarella appetizer & liked it & she also raved about the pizza. DH also had the rubbery calamari, but loved the lasagna. Desserts were good. They all had the chocolate mousse, but I had some vanilla thing that was very bland. All was well when I went back to Mexico & had a nice frozen margarita though :goodvibes

11/7 Dinner @ Sci Fi Diner - Great! A+ We were seated in 2 cars right next to each other. Appetizers were onion rings - delicous & the BLT soup was awesome!!! We all had cheeseburgers & shakes for dinner & they were very tasty. They let DS order a cheeseburger & fries on the dp. We were given that generic menu, but when I asked there were no problems, the waitress was very nice. When it came time for dessert, we were all full, but she insisted we all bring home dessert, so we did. She put the kids' sundae's in paper cups & they ate them on the way out of the park & the rest of us had chocolate tarts & cheesecake. Both were pretty good. I thought the chocolate tart was just okay, but DH really liked it. Probably because I'm not a fan of dark chocolate.

11/8 Breakfast@ Crystal Palace - Always a favorite. Adults & infant sat at one table, kids sat right behind us at the next table. We were in a sort of corner by a window which was a great place to keep the baby. My niece has a peanut allergy & the chef came right out & walked her through the entire buffet. We all sampled almost everything & there weren't any complaints. Character interaction was okay. I don't like the idea that if you miss a character that's it. The chef was showing my niece the buffet when Pooh came around. We thought she missed out, but when we told the waitress she had him come over again, but we had to wait a little bit. She said that they normally don't do that, so it's best to keep an eye on the characters. I guess since she had an allergy & was with the chef they made an exception :confused3 . All the adults ordered coffee & the kids ordered chocolate milk. We didn't realize that the kids never got their milk & when we told the waitress she felt so bad, that when we left she also gave them some cups to go. We told her it wasn't necessary, but she gave it to them anyway.

11/9 Dinner @ Concourse Steakhouse - our first trip here & we were not disappointed! Appetizers were lobster bisque, honey sesame wings - both delicious, Scallops were also delicious, but there was only 2 on the plate, with a bunch of garnish, so that was a little disappointing. 2 more would have been nice for DH. Mozzarella & tomato & the cesaer salads were both very good, but usual fare. DD & DS "shared" their meals, since she is my picky eater & she is the one considered an adult. So DS had the chicken soup from the children's menu as his appetizer & DD had onion rings. Both said they liked them. For dinner, DS was able to enjoy the 7oz filet mignon & DD had pasta with meatballs & sauce. DM also had the filet & thought it was superb. She was able to cut it with her fork. A bunch of us enjoyed the NY Strip, seasoned very well & we all ordered it cooked different ways & none of us were disappointed. DH had their special which was some sort of buffalo meat with polenta. He thought it was really good & said he would order it again if given the chance. My niece had the ribs & she ate every single one of them! The waitress did not care at all that the kids switched their meals. We didn't try to hide it, we just ordered it all at once, and when she brought each meal we told her who was eating what. I remember her name was Joy & she was really very accomodating. Desserts were sundaes for the 3 kids, most of us had the Creme Brulee - absolutely delicious, DM had the carrot cake - she loved it & my cousin had the Triple chocolate cake & said it was very filling, but also very good. It was nice to enjoy a really good meal in a more upscale resturant, but not too upscale that the kids wouldn't enjoy it. The monorail wasn't noisy at all - & we all enjoyed watching it as it passed by. We all agreed we would come back here are our next trip.

11/10 Lunch @ Prime Time Cafe - Another great meal! Our waitress was terrific, I wish I could remember her name. At first she didn't seem like she was into it that much, but boy was I wrong! At one point she put my cousin in the corner & had him hold a sugar packet with his nose! She fed DH & just really "picked on" the Dad's at our table and played it up for our kids. This was another place where DD & DS "shared" their meals. The Fried herb cheese platter was an unexpected treat. It wasn't what I thought it would be, and it was so much better. Had I known what I was in for I would've ordered a glass of wine to enjoy with it. I loved it!!! Onion rings for DD & chicken soup for DS AGAIN - but they didn't mind. DH & my cuz had the shrimp which were good & the rest had the salad which was also good. Entrees were all over the map - we had pot roast which I'm told was excellent as was the fried chicken & meatloaf. The fish sandwhich was pretty good & the ceasar salad was also average fair. DD had the kid's mac & cheese for the first time & proclaimed it good & cheesy. Desserts were sundaes & ice cream soda's. DH had the Apple cobbler ala mode & he thought it was really good.

11/11 Birthday Dinner @ Ohana's - I can't say enough good things about this place. Chef Kim came to the table several times & he was very funny & very nice. EVERYTHING was delicious. I loved the chicken wings. The men loved the grilled turkey, my fave was the beef. DS who is 6 & weighs 42lbs ate 6 pieces of sausage he loved it so much & we had to stop him - that's in addition to all the other stuff! The scalloped potatoes were delicious as were the veggies. Most of the bread pudding went to waste because we were all so full, but we all tried it and loved it. They offered to wrap it up for us, but we declined. DD wasn't crazy about the food, but enjoyed everything else about it. She's the picky eater, so don't pay too much attention to her! We celebrated my mom's 69th birthday here & the waiter's were so much fun. As they were about to sing happy birthday to her, the woman came on the microphone & started getting the kids ready for another activity. Chef Kim said we don't let her ruin our fun, so they started singing REALLY loud. With this, she came over with all the kids, introduced my mom to the whole resturant & had all the kids sing happy birthday to her all over again. It was really cute. A little while later, Wishes began, and they piped in the music. A truly magical night, and we didn't even have seats by the window & we could see most of it really well. We would go back there in a heartbeat.

11/12 Dinner @ Chef Mickey's - since the previous night was all about us, this one was for the kids & they loved it. There was so much stuff at the buffet, but all I had was prime rib & mashed potatoes because they were so good & also a salad. I know a few others had the prime rib too & really enjoyed it. I don't remember what else was on the carving board, but my cousin loved it. The dessert bar was the highlight. The adults made a plate & we all picked on the different pastries & pies. I spurged & had an ice cream sundae. Character interaction was very good.

11/13 Breakfast @ Kona Cafe - can't believe I'm saying this, but the tonga toast here is exactly the same as they now serve at Captain Cook's. I should know, I had it almost every morning!!! So in that respect it was a little disappointing, if that makes any sense. The others agreed that the eggs were just average, with the exception of the eggs benedict, which DM thought were delicious. DH had the Macadamia Pineapple Pancakes & loved them.

Lunch @ Earl of Sandwich - We didn't plan on eating here, but got hungry! I wish they had one of these in NJ!!! It was so good & we were surprised they took the dp because they don't advertise it. In fact, if it weren't for the family ordering ahead of us I would have paid OOP! The children's menu called for turkey & swiss & they had no problem substituting ham & american. DD had a pizza sub - which was very messy but she loved it - she's a carb queen, so this was right up her alley. DH had the Original 1762 & he really enjoyed it. I had the caprese on artisan bread & DM had it in a wrap. The sandwhich was better. The wrap fell apart so she cut it up and ate it like a salad. The mozzarella was better than any we had had in any of our salads on this trip. It was just really good. Everything came with chips & a dessert, which we purchased cookies so we could have them later.

11/14 Lunch @ Rose & Crown - first time here & we really enjoyed it. I would prefer to just have a few drinks & appetizer the next time around though. Appetizers we had were stewed mushrooms which were delicious, prawn cocktail, very good & the fruit & cheese plate which we enjoyed very much. For entrees, DH had the Ploughman's salad which he thought was excellent & very filling. DS had bangers & mash for the first time & seemed to really like them, also very filling. The rest of us had the fish & chips & it was huge, none of us finished it. The fish was delicious & cooked perfectly. Our waiter was so polite & also extremely good looking! :blush:

11/15 Breakfast @ Ohana - bitter sweet because it was our last day. Our waitress was very friendly. I really enjoyed the orange & papaya juice combo. Our first batch of eggs were very salty, so we ate the other stuff first. When our waitress came back we told her & she had them replaced & they were just fine. I ate mainly the mickey waffles because I knew I wouldn't be having them again anytime soon! Character interaction was really good with the exception of Lilo. She came to our table, signed the autographs, & as soon as I took their picture she moved on to the next table without so much as a wave goodbye. I thought, oh no, but the rest of the characters were much more enjoyable. Stitch was terrific. We had so much fun with him. He licked my son's book, and then, I guess this sounds gross, but pretended to flick a booger on DS, well they had a blast "picking" on each other after that. He wound up coming to our table 3 times :confused3 .

Since we stayed at the Poly we had a few CS meals at Captain Cooks. It was still in the temporary location while we were there & we thought it was fine. I had a problem with the staff the first day. The only option for kids on dp is a scrambled egg platter. All DS wanted was 1 Mickey waffle. They offer 3 waffles for adults so I didn't think it would be a big deal to give him 1 waffle on a plate & charge him for the kid's meal - wrong. The girl behind the counter told me no, so I asked if I could speak with the manager. This annoyed her, I could tell by her sigh, and when the manager came out she was really rude and told me that there was absolutely no way they could give my son a waffle. I told her I wasn't trying to get over on the plan in any way or get any extra food, in fact, 1 waffle is less than scrambled eggs, bacon & toast (the only kid's option). They she became even ruder and yelled that there was absolutely no way my son could order a waffle, if I wanted it I had to pay OOP or use an adult credit. So I paid OOP.

Later that night I decided to go to guest services because I knew we would be going to CC's the next morning. The woman was so nice (Cati). She also thought it was ridiculous that adults can order 3 waffles but kid's couldn't even have one - especially when they are Mickey Mouse Waffles!!! I told her what time we were there and she told me she was going to speak to her manager about the way the CC manager treated us. Anyway, the reason for this rant is to let you know that she told us to order DS the adult waffles everyday if we wanted & have them charged back to the room & save the receipt. She said to return each night & she would have the charge removed & deduct at CS credit. Turns out we actually made out on the deal though. Since 3 waffles were too much for DD, she would order them, then DS would have the other one. He would also get the sausage DH's breakfast platter & some of my tongoa toast every morning. I thought we would be left with 8 child CS credits, so our last night we all went to CC's & lo & behold they didn't show up at children's credit's at all. So the adults had one last aloha pork sandwhich & the kid's had cheeseburgers & fries. We brought them all to the beach, DH & I had Lava Colada's & we watched Wishes for a final time. :goodvibes

Wow is this long!!! I think I covered all of our TS meals, if anyone has any questions I'll be glad to answer them!

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

Thanks for the Kona review, we are trying it for the first time this weekend and I have my heart set on the eggs benedict while DH is getting the macadamian nut pancakes.

Character interaction was okay. I don't like the idea that if you miss a character that's it. The chef was showing my niece the buffet when Pooh came around. We thought she missed out, but when we told the waitress she had him come over again, but we had to wait a little bit. She said that they normally don't do that, so it's best to keep an eye on the characters

Wow - things have changed since we were there in October :sad2: we missed two characters, actually each child missed one each. They had Piglet come around again, and we had a special meet and greet with Tigger at the front door. When we were seated we were told that if we missed anyone to let them know and they would be sure to have them come over. I'm sorry you had to feel like someone was doing you a favour!

Thanks for sharing your reviews, I enjoyed reading them. :mickeyjum

Enjoying your reviews - we tried to get in Earl of Sandwich, the lines were so long and there was nowhere to sit!

Good to know about the Tonga Toast being at Captain Hook's...this will prevent us from using a TS...but still be able to try it!!! I'm interested to taste this TT that everyone keeps talking about! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter