Minnie Ride Pricing

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by donac, Feb 10, 2019.

1. donac

donac Wife, mother, math teacher, quilter

Dh and I will be having dinner at Ohana one night. We have a 7:50 reservation and we figure we will be there for fireworks. How much is it to go from the Poly to Riverside by Minnie van? Do I have to set that up ahead of time? Last time we ate at Ohana we were staying at the Poly.

Thanks

2. JimMIA

JimMIA There's more to life than mice...

It's $15 + $2.75 per mile...whatever that works out to. Get the mileage from Google Maps or similar.

No, you don't "set it up ahead of time." You order the ride on your Lyft app when you are ready to go. You can't preschedule.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. cruisin5

cruisin5 DIS Veteran

$2.75 / mile, YIKES.

I mapped it out ... it's 3 miles to POR from the Poly. About $22.25. A regular Lyft starts at $8-10 for the same trip.

5. EdnaMarieMode

EdnaMarieMode DIS Veteran

The Lyft app will give you specific pricing, as of right now it shows $30.44 to ride from the pickup area of Polynesian and be dropped off at the POR main lobby.

6. JimMIA

Yes, it's a LOT more than regular Uber/Lyft. And the quote above from the Lyft app is probably more accurate than your estimate using Maps.

sponica likes this.
  7. donac

donac Wife, mother, math teacher, quilter

I guess I will have to get the Lyft or Uber app. Never had to use one before.

8. tnolan

tnolan DIS Veteran

There is a website called rideguru.com that will not only give you Lyft and Uber prices for rides from one point to another point, but also give you the mileage so you can figure out what a Minnie Van would cost you for trhe same trip.

9. JimMIA

Yes, if you want to use MinnieVan, you MUST have the Lyft app on your phone. There is no other way to order MV.

I drive for both companies, and I recommend that riders have both apps on their phone. And if you are going to use Uber or Lyft (rather than MinnieVan), always check both apps for pricing. The companies' rates are generally similar, but they do NOT always price specific rides the same -- so it's good to price check.

Moshi737 and EdnaMarieMode like this.
  10. EdnaMarieMode

I also recommend both apps, and comparing pricing. They are, as you said, generally similar but not always and sometimes there are promotions/ coupons. If you use a promotion/ coupon please tip your driver on the pre-discounted amount.

11. cruisin5

cruisin5 DIS Veteran

I thought a tip was included in the rate?

12. jennyq87

jennyq87 Earning My Ears

No, any tip would be on top of the rate you’re charged. Once your ride finishes there’s usually a prompt to rate the driver and/or leave a tip if you choose.

cruisin5 likes this.
  13. EdnaMarieMode

It's not included. When your ride ends, a notification will pop up asking you to rate your ride/ driver and add a tip if you want to.

Minnie Van CM is considered a tipped position, so you would tip them using the app or in cash.

cruisin5 likes this.
  14. JimMIA

Never has been either for MinnieVan or Uber/Lyft. That was a lie that the "bad old Uber" spread 8-9 years ago when the driver pay was double or triple what it is today.

Rideshare drivers are paid based entirely on mileage and time. No tip is included, and what you pay as a customer has nothing to do with what the driver is paid. MV drivers are salaried Disney employees.

When MV first started drivers were not allowed to accept tips. Then, they had to decline any tips first and only accept them if the rider "insisted." Finally Disney came to their senses and allowed tipping.

cruisin5 likes this.
  15. cruisin5

cruisin5 DIS Veteran

Thanks, everyone for straightening me out! Fortunately, I tipped when used a MV last year but haven't used Lyft or Uber yet.

(Sorry OP for the hijack)