Military Discounts (does it count if your civilian)

Amstar

Mouseketeer
I work for the USAF as a civilian and I was wondering if there is any type of discount offered for Civilian DOD workers?

according to CF's ticket sticky post #17 military discounts would not apply for you.

A service member has a current active duty, including active reserve, or retired ID card from the Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corp, or Navy. This includes disabled veterans whose ID Card indicates DAVPRM.

A dependent is the spouse or other relative of a service member who has an ID card (DD Form 1173) which shows the service member as the sponsor.

A guest is any person not a dependent accompanying the service member.

Not eligible on their own are persons who would normally have access to military bases and/or Shades of Green (SoG) such as DoD Civilians, NAF, USPHS and veterans who are not retirees. This list may include others. People who fall into this category may, however, be dependents or guests.

I think it depends. My BIL works for the USAF, and he qualifies for SoG. But he doesn't qualify for the Disney Salute discounts. I'm not sure why he qualifies as a civilian contractor for the military at SoG, and I have no idea if all civilian contractors qualify. You could try chatting with your base's MWR and see if they can give you more info.

Looks like im eligible.

however with the package we got (kids stay and play for free) it is cheaper to stay at a value resort.

thank you again for the help

I am a DoD civilian (GS-equivalent) who works for the Navy and I am able to buy tickets and APs at my local MWR ITT office at a discount. I've not done it yet, but I am eligible to stay at SoG, and get DoD discounts at the Swan and Dolphin. I am also eligible for military discounts on DCL, but they are hard to come by with the popularity of the ships right now.

We are not eligible for other discounts that active duty have, but that's okay with me. I feel guilty being eligible for some of the same discounts our fine active-duty brethren enjoy, but Disney sets the rules and I'd be a fool to not partake where possible.

As a DoD Civilian you are allowed access to Shades of Green and to buy discounted tickets at SoG or a MWR/ITT ofice.

However, you cannot buy the Armed Forces Salute Tickets, and even if you bought them somewhere when you went to activate them at a WDW ticket or Guest Relations window you would be turned away for not having the proper identification.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter