• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MICKEY & US. Day 14 - Do you want a soda with that?

Poohshoney

<font color=6666CC>Ya-ya sister!<br><font color=gr
Carol (40, British) – dangerously Disney obsessed.
Roland (35, German) – puts up with me somehow.

Mickey – our beanie, on his first trip `home´.

Saturday, 4 May 2002

We didn’t do a lot today. There didn’t seem much point in staying at a hotel like AKL with a savannah view and not enjoying it.
We slept much later than we had at CBR and Riverside – even me. I thought I'd be able to sit on the balcony writing the postcards I still (!) hadn't written whilst waiting for Roland to wake up - I nearly died when I woke up and realised it was half past eight and I might have missed the animals! But there were still some there, bless them.
Getting showered and dressed was a scramble because we didn't want to miss anything. And we wanted the curtains open so we could see and of course you have to be careful of people/cameras seeing in. Once we’d finished we had a great breakfast watching the animals eat theirs. We ate indoors every time because of the bugs but then afterwards we’d go out onto the balcony. We loved the metal chairs – the backs had a zebra’s head in them, which worked very well. I forgot to mention yesterday – we were right next to a viewing point. We thought that might be intrusive but it turned out to be fun listening to people’s comments and excitement. There was a lady across from us on the third floor who hadn't realised what she was going to be able to see. She was SO excited. She was talking to a man who was in the public viewing area and he told her after every delighted squeal, “Yes, I know. That’s WHY I told you to get a savannah view!” It was fun listening to the parents and their kiddies as well. The parents almost always sounded more excited than their offspring!
As the day moved on, so did the animals. We left then for our third and final round of mini golf. We noticed a strong smell of smoke when we left the hotel and again when we got out of the car by Blizzard Beach but it soon disappeared, never to return.
We'd chosen Summerland for our last game – the CM said that was a wise choice as Winterland was overrun by a kiddie’s birthday party. Were we glad we’d done that side last time! If any of you have a weak heart, etc you might like to sit down now - this may come as a bit of a shock. I won. Admittedly Roland was very generous when it took me about ten goes to tee off at one of the holes and he said to only count it as three hits – but I'd have won anyway! I'm thinking of having the scorecard framed.
We’d saved our resort hopping for today – I wanted to see every resort but we didn’t manage it. Roland didn’t want to see the All Stars anyway as he hadn’t liked the photos of them. I would like to have seen Movies, especially as Nancy likes it, but you just can’t do everything in two weeks. We both really now regret not having visited Coronado Springs but it never worked out. As it was, we’d scheduled all the MK resorts for today but we only managed three of them.
We parked at the MK and took the monorail to the Polynesian. We both loved the lobby, very lush and tropical. I'd forgotten all about the musty smell I'd read about but my nose reminded me as soon as we got there. It wasn’t too unpleasant though. Roland didn’t mention it so he can’t have noticed it. My sense of smell is better than his though.
Our love of the Poly deteriorated once we got outside. I know the buildings are authentic looking but that’s not enough to make us like them. We found them very drab. I hope one day we’ll be able to come back in the evening and wander along the torch lit paths as I think that would be seeing the Poly at its best.
Back on the monorail to the Grand Floridian. In the pictures we’d seen it looked very similar to the Disneyland Paris Hotel but this turned out to be only superficial. The GF colours are much nicer and it has a far warmer atmosphere, particularly in the lobby. The GF was my favourite MK resort but it didn’t appeal to Roland at all.
We were both agreed on the next one though – the Contemporary’s ugly. We were prepared for the outside as we’d seen photos of it but assumed the inside would be better. We were wrong. It's very '70s and that wasn’t the best decade, architecturally speaking! As I said with the Swolphin, please don’t anyone take this personally if this is your favourite hotel. It just won’t ever be ours so we’ll never be blocking the room you want – we’re all different and that’s the way it’s meant to be!
I'd been keeping my eyes open for a bite to eat but we hadn’t seen anything anywhere that I could/wanted to eat. We might have found something at the Contemporary if we’d realised we hadn’t actually seen the food court. (We didn’t realise it was down another floor). I ended up with some Mickey pretzels from the shop. There was a bit of a problem with paying for the pretzels – imagine the questions said with motherly concern. “Do you want a soda with that?” “No thankyou.” “Some milk then?” “No thankyou.” “Water then?” “No thankyou.” “Well you can’t eat just pretzels, they’re too dry! You’ve got to drink something with them!” I wasn't let off the hook till I'd said I'd already got some water. “That’s all right then.” She seemed far too sweet and motherly to be working in the middle of all that cold concrete and glass.
We took the monorail back to the car and drove back to the hotel. There were no towel animals, or lovely little notes and moose and Figment were where we’d left them but for some reason we hadn’t expected anything. We’d done what we always did – left our tip in the mousekeeping card and the money (not surprisingly!) had gone. There was one nice touch though - the card had been turned inside out and the word thankyou written across it.
We might have our complaints about the check in CMs but every single member of staff we met in the corridors or elsewhere was delightful – warm hellos and sunshine smiles. I vote mousekeeping take over the place.
The animals were back outside - great! We joined them. Like I said, it was a leisurely day. Besides which, we had to conserve our strength – we were going to Boma again that evening and we knew what to expect!
Our PS was for 18:00 and we got in pretty much on time. It was a little later than last time and Boma was a little busier. Our waitress was very friendly and very pretty and she did a better job than the waiter we’d had last time. Strangely, we sat at the next table to last time. We liked these seats as they were next to the window.
The food was a little different to last time but not a great deal. They didn’t have my lamb but they did have Roland’s beef and the chicken we’d both liked. One of the things I loved was pap – it's an African staple. It soaks up the juices and the sauces beautifully and I had masses of the stuff. As I was taking my umpteenth helping, a woman asked me if I'd tried it before. It was obvious by her tone that she didn’t rate the looks of it. The enthusiasm of my, “Yes, I love it!” took her completely by surprise. Saw her get some though.
Roland tried a greater variety of things this time, including a soup and some stews. They were all so good he was even happier than last time!
I celebrated the fact that I could still get into all my clothes (even the non-drawstring waists!) by finishing off with THREE brownies! Bliss on a plate.
Back in our room we animal-watched till they merged into the dusk. It had been a lovely day and proof that you don’t have to spend all day rushing round a park to have a Disney day – the magic’s everywhere.

Next, Day 15 – You can see their little red beady eyes.

:wave:

Another great day! I have to agree that the Poly and Contemporary look a little tired. But they have their fans who swear by them. I say "Good for them". The beauty of WDW is there is something for everyone.
I'm so jealous of your view. Did you think to leave a camera with the boys so they could capture a few pix during the day?:)
I love your reports and read them first thing in the morning.
Thanks for posting.

been loving your reports, you have a very nice style to keep me involved in your days. thanks

What a great day. Sounds very nice at the AKL.:)

Lovely report. I think that I'm coming to the end soon, but you've kept me busy for hours! Carolyn

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH - Chocolate Brownies:p :p How cruel - I'm starved (that's nothing new).

You are cruel, you know - I've just got in from a really hectic week and a bit at home/work. I'd started to get withdrawal symptoms and I just knew the rest of the reports would be here, so I saved the best till last.

Love
Twinnie

PS - lurv the little piggie:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter