Mexican Reviera port adventures.

Yes, Paradise Village is in Puerta Vallarta. This was our FAVORITE excursion. SO much to do.

The review and pictures I posted were from Cabo. :)

Great, I am 99 percent sure we will do that excursion.

I do have an ticky tack question, how deep is the pool that the slides dump into? Is there a height restriction? My twins are around 45 inches, good swimmers, but I will probably put them in water wings or life jackets if they cant touch.

Silence - I just read your previous trip report.
It is so amazing to me that we were at the very same place around the same time with absolutely opposite experiences!! Our MR cruise was the end of Feb/ beginning of March.
As I said previously, the resort was close to empty for us. The small group of more mature ladies in the pool who were staying at the resort were getting positively hammered and were just a hoot. (Maybe THAT's why the waiters were so attentive to us!!??? We were right near the big drinkers = good tippers???)
The buffet was yummy for us, (but we DO like Mexican food), and found plenty for our picky 5 year old to eat. He loved ordering his own scrambled eggs from the omelette station - and practicing his palabras espanol (Spanish words). The mini-golf was fun. There were magazines, games & toys to loan near the rest rooms.
Our only criticism was that there were no changing rooms and that the restrooms were very dark in the stalls to change there. We also thought that it was a little odd that they gave us each a bottle of water for the day. We didn't drink ours as we had sparkling water (mine & our son's favorite!), sodas (hubby) and margaritas (hubby & I) all day.
I think that the comparison of this place to your experience of the awesome pool getaway that you describe in PV may have colored your view a bit, since the Cabo Pool Resort is not really geared towards kids, as the PV seems to be. THAT sounds awesome and we're going to look into that one on your recommendation! Thanks!

Great, I am 99 percent sure we will do that excursion.

I do have an ticky tack question, how deep is the pool that the slides dump into? Is there a height restriction? My twins are around 45 inches, good swimmers, but I will probably put them in water wings or life jackets if they cant touch.

From what I recall, an adult can't really touch the bottom. I will try to look for some of our pictures here to post. There were no height restrictions posted at all. I was a little worried about my DD (8 now, 7 on the cruise) but she didn't have to swim very far to get out. I did stand there for a while her first couple of trips down.

OK, here are some pics for you guys:

Entrance to resort

2011 02 23_5755 by silencerobinson, on Flickr

Main pool area

2011 02 23_5759 by silencerobinson, on Flickr

Waterslides (note, we grabbed the loungers that you can see next to the slide. they stayed in the shade for a long time, it turned out to be the perfect spot for us. We only got wet from people on the slide a couple of times)

2011 02 23_5760 by silencerobinson, on Flickr

Another view of the main pool area.

2011 02 23_5411 by silencerobinson, on Flickr

The island with the stairs to the slides.

2011 02 23_5415 by silencerobinson, on Flickr

Ocean!

2011 02 23_5432 by silencerobinson, on Flickr

Hotel view from ocean

2011 02 23_5436 by silencerobinson, on Flickr

Lots and lots of lounging areas in the shade

2011 02 23_5437 by silencerobinson, on Flickr

Has anyone done the Cabo Resort Beach Getaway? I love the photos of Paradise Village in PV (definitely doing that), but if anyone has any feedback on Cabo, that would be great!!

Here's our review on the excursions we did:

My extensive blog (read all the way down, as it goes backwards, per day- with links to photobucket pics as well at: http://ouradventuresasatrio.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&updated-max=2012-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=13

PV: We did the Outdoor Adventure (left the kids on the boat and they were more than happy there:) We had a blast! It was challenging (not so much physically but getting over my fears for sure). It included a boat ride, uimog ride, mule riding up a mountain, ziplining, watefall rappeling, straight free fall rappeling, and hiking (through water and land). Amazing- and the CD was CHEAP at the end (at least by Disney standards!!- it was $56 for over a hundred pics total of us, and some stock shots).

Cabo Day 1: We went off on our own (via a land taxi, as my kids don't like small boats- it was $8 total each way) to Medano Beach Club. We had read over on the cruise critic Mexico Port boards to go there if you have kids, as its at the end of the beaches and away from the spring break type crowds. It was nice. I think for the whole day we spent about $75 ($16 of that was the total taxi money). We had 3 alcoholic drinks each there, kids had soda and bottled water and we all had lunch. Amazing food and great value. We had a table on the sand with big umbrellas for shade. Great service there as well, and the kids played on the beach. Warning though- the waves are INTENSE. Even ankle deep water almost washed people (adults) out. I would not let me kids get wet at all or even near the shore line by themselves.

Cabo Day 2: We had a Disney Excursion- the San Jose del Cabo shopping/city tour. This was ok. I am glad we got out of Cabo San Lucas and saw a more "real" Cabo. There were 2 stops- one at more of a touristy market (but very quiet), and the second was a longer stop in the heart of the town square (they dropped you off and you had an hour or so to go wander). We walked around, went to the fountain, the church, walked through shops, went to the ice cream shop, etc. We did get some nice glassware on this excursion, as well as typical trinkets. We did like that in the second stop not many of the locals spoke english (so glad my fiance did a foreign exchange in Mexico when he was younger and still speaks fluent Spanish!). My kids liked this excursion but were bored on the bus (the giude was amazing, very informative and funny but the kids weren't paying attention and his accent was really heavy).

For lots more info, and pics click on my blog link above:)

Awesome blog! Very informative :thumbsup2

My DH and I are SO looking forward to doing the Outdoor Adventure in PV. I had no idea about bringing extra clothes...did you find out about this through your own research or did DCL tell you that you would have to bring extra stuff?

Also did you feel like the company took enough pics? I was REALLY hoping to bring my own camera with me.

Has anyone done the Cabo Resort Beach Getaway? I love the photos of Paradise Village in PV (definitely doing that), but if anyone has any feedback on Cabo, that would be great!!

I want to know about this too!

It seems pretty expensive. If it's not worth it, I may as well just start researching about other beaches nearby :confused3

It seems pretty expensive. If it's not worth it, I may as well just start researching about other beaches nearby :confused3

That is my thought as well - we'll have our 2 year old & 7 year old with us, so I want something easy, but if it isn't worth it, we could even just relax on the ship...

Well, I know nothing about it, other than we tried to book it while on board and it was full. That, and the fact when I went to the desk to let them know about our concerns for the POOL get away, they instantly thought we had the BEACH getaway, as they had been taking complaints about what happened on that excursion that day?? It must have been a ROUGH Cabo day for them.

My kids LOVE to swim, and we just found the pools on the ship way to crowded, hence our reason for trying to find resorts with pools. We may do a water taxi to the beach though, someone just posted some great pics on another thread.

Awesome blog! Very informative :thumbsup2

My DH and I are SO looking forward to doing the Outdoor Adventure in PV. I had no idea about bringing extra clothes...did you find out about this through your own research or did DCL tell you that you would have to bring extra stuff?

Also did you feel like the company took enough pics? I was REALLY hoping to bring my own camera with me.

Hi! The Vallarta Adventure site and also Disney's port adventure site (http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cruises-destinations/shore-excursions/puerto-vallarta-mexico/outdoor-adventure/ talks about bringing a change of clothes and shoes, as well as other info.

As for pictures, the company took plenty (multiple on each zipline, rappel, etc of both of us). The CD was $56 (for both, $28 ea) and we had over a hundred photos including stock shots. You can not bring your own camera with you- and don't try to sneak it- they will probably take it from you as it isn't permitted for safety reasons-(they make that pretty clear at the beginning:) There is no way to access your pockets with the harness they get you in, and you need both hands for all the activities you do, even waiting up on tiny platforms you need your hands for the safety ropes and you need to be very alert to your surroundings- as it is very high up and lots of drop offs around you. Also, you land neck deep in water after one zipline- your camera (unless waterproof) will get damaged. The guides collect all belongings at the beginning (put your valuables in your backpack to put in one big collective bag for your group). You don't have any time in between ziplines to take pictures- you are always hiking or climbing/moving and you have to keep your gloves on which are huge and bulky:)

Does anyone have any suggestions for Cabo on your own? We are trying to save some money, so we only want to do dcl excursions on one of our cabo days. Thanks!

Does anyone have any suggestions for Cabo on your own? We are trying to save some money, so we only want to do dcl excursions on one of our cabo days. Thanks!

Try Cabo Adventures for some ideas. For some reason, I can only recall what we did in Mazatlan, not Cabo...I think we might have just got off and walked around, bought some tequila and cigars. Exciting, I know.

Try Cabo Adventures for some ideas. For some reason, I can only recall what we did in Mazatlan, not Cabo...I think we might have just got off and walked around, bought some tequila and cigars. Exciting, I know.

Lol, I find tequila pretty exciting! :lmao::banana:

I'm torn between Las Caletas or Paradise Beach Adventure for P.V.

Seems that both places are nice & have good reviews.

What made you choose over the other?

I'm torn between Las Caletas or Paradise Beach Adventure for P.V.

Seems that both places are nice & have good reviews.

What made you choose over the other?

Price. Plus I didn't think Las Caletas had a pool? or maybe I'm mistaken. My kids love to swim, but are not used to swimming in water that they can't open their eyes....so lakes, rivers and ocean kind of freak them out. Plus, they loved the water slides.

We did Cabo on our own the first day and the dolphin swim the second day.

The first day we got off the boat and there were people everywhere trying to sell you a water taxi. The farther you walk down the dock, the lower the prices became. The boat ride wasn't expensive and they would take you wherever you wanted (Los Arcos, Lover's Beach, the bars, restaurants,etc). Warning, wear sandals or something you can take off because, most of the time, when the water taxi drops you off, you step from the boat into the ocean.

We took the taxi out to Los Arcos, and were dropped off on Medano beach. We played at the beach for a while and people watched, until we got annoyed with the locals selling trinkets. We walked around town, had lunch and did some shopping. Before we knew it, it was 5 pm and we needed to head back to the dock. We took the tender back to the ship, showered, changed and enjoyed a nice dinner at Palo.

Something to note is that the first day at Cabo is most likely Pirate night. If you are someone who is going to get dressed up and want to take photos before dinner, you might want to factor that what time you head back to the ship.

Remember, Cabo is a tender port. The first day you have from 11am to 6 pm but the second day it is from 7 am to 1:30 pm. Unless you're an early riser, that isn't a lot of time. Also, many of the stores, restaurants, etc. don't open until 9-10 am.

ETA Photos of Cabo

When you walk off the tender dock, this is what you will see. The men with (mostly) white shirts and their backs to the camera are all trying to get you to go on their water taxi.

IMG_6726.jpg

View of Lover's Beach from the water taxi

IMG_6738.jpg

This is what they consider a "glass bottom boat." The driver throws food in the water and the fish swarm under the glass.

IMG_6730.jpg

Price. Plus I didn't think Las Caletas had a pool? or maybe I'm mistaken. My kids love to swim, but are not used to swimming in water that they can't open their eyes....so lakes, rivers and ocean kind of freak them out. Plus, they loved the water slides.

Thanks, your review & pictures were also appreciated :thumbsup2

We decided to book Paradise Beach, so so far our itinerary looks like this:

Puerto Vallarta: Paradise Beach
Cabo Day 1: Cabo Dolphin Kids
Cabo Day 2: Cabo Beach Getaway

I was also able to make Palo reservations for brunch & dinner :goodvibes (by 9:10 pm on Monday there were only a few brunch choices so I felt lucky to score one ;))

I couldn't see the Rainforest passes ($15) anywhere so I'm assuming it's something that has to be arranged once we board.

Counting down the weeks!

In Cabo there is a resturant called The Shrimp Factory...it is awesome. The kids can write on the back wall, the food is yummy, the margaritas DElish, prices were right and friendly (non-scamming) staff. We walked there. It is an open-aired restaurant. On our second stop we ate at a restuarant which looked great, but we totally got scammed in MANY ways. I will ask my family if they remember the name. The margaritas tasted like they didn't rinse the soap out of the glass. It is also an open-aired restaurant with a bar in it visible from the sidewalks. They advertise "free call to home" while eatting. They have bar-like sport pendants hanging around and blankets on the chairs...just FYI.

Thanks for the pics!

I was wondering what it was going to be like/look like once we got off the tender boats in Cabo. Now I know what to expect.

I didn't know Senor Frogs is so close!

I've only done Cabo on our own, and remembered feeling like we were walking the gauntlet or something with all the folks selling taxis, etc. This time we are doing the DCL organized excursions...how is the disembarkation for those? Still all the vendors to walk through?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter